You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Spirits On The Hill

Real Ghost Stories

Spirits On The Hill

 

When I was eleven my family and I moved from my birthplace of Redding, CA, to a small town in Western Oregon. My parents found a big parcel of land - about twenty acres on a hill overlooking wineries and mountain ranges - and immediately started to build their dream home as they put it. It took about eight months to build and once it was completed, we were so happy to move in. The attic door was in the ceiling of my bedroom... One of those doors that you had to open from the bottom and push up, and I remember thinking "oh, this is nice... Maybe they'll (mom and dad) let me put a staircase up there and it can become a library or something."

Everything was completely normal for the first five years we lived there; my brother and I were enrolled in local schools, we made friends and even eventually settled into a way of life. The house on the hill seemed like the perfect spot to grow up because we had a tree house in an old oak towards the bottom of the property line; we owned sheep and cats and lived on a fairly private road away from the public eye. My mom worked from home and my dad had a successful fencing company in town. So, like I said, everything was perfect for a while.

I was never a bad kid - I always obeyed my parents, didn't fight much with my brother, and got fairly good grades in school. Overall, I didn't ever feel like I was a real teenager, because I never acted out or behaved the way other kids in my classes did. Mom always said that I was born middle-aged and got more mature every year. Well, despite this, I remember that for the span of half a year, don't remember exactly what grade I was in, I would cry at night and tell my parents I couldn't sleep because I felt like someone was watching me, or that there was something in the attic making noise. My parents would scold me, shut my door, shut their door, or turn on their bathroom fan so they didn't have to hear me call out to them. They thought I was being irrational. Eventually, I snapped out of this phase, but not before the whole shift of my life changed.

After that incident, I started to notice things around the house - pillows would be moved, my name would be called out a lot, and not by my family, even while I was with them, and my room was constantly cold, no matter what I did. One night after we had all gone to bed, I suddenly bolted straight up in bed because I distinctly heard voices close by my bed. They were speaking rapidly and, it seemed, in a different language. What I could make out were the sounds of a man, woman and child. I knew for a fact that my parents and brother shut their doors at night, so I got up and checked and sure enough, they were all soundly asleep. By now I was completely freaked out beyond words, so I ran back to my room and hid under my covers. I even told them "please go away, leave me alone", but they didn't, but just kept talking to me... Or aloud... Or whatever they were doing. Somehow I managed to fall asleep and in the morning, it had stopped. I didn't tell my parents for a while, because I knew what they would say and think, and I couldn't deal with that rejection. I know what I heard.

Nights were now extremely touchy for me, because I would go to sleep and hear things in the attic, and I KNOW it wasn't mice sounds, because it sounded like footsteps. My room would become cold seemingly while I lay in bed, and shadows moved out of the corner of my eye. I felt trapped. If I was the last one awake, I would make sure that my bedroom light was on before shutting off the rest of the lights in the house, and then I would RUN to my bedroom, hop into bed, and then burrow down deep. My parents, I knew, were worried, even if they didn't say anything at the time. I even convinced myself for a while there that I was schizophrenic, but I didn't have any other symptoms except this irrational fear of my home. Even during the day, I would feel a presence and not know how to deal with it.

By the time I saw the full body apparition, things had calmed down somewhat, and I had a nightly routine. I was getting milk for the cats during the day, and as I took the milk to the cats, put the carton back in the fridge and was in the process of shutting the fridge door, I happened to see a figure out of the corner of my eye standing in the doorway to my parents' room. He had his hands in his pockets, was dressed in black jeans and a black t-shirt, and had close-cropped black hair. I was so preoccupied with the cats that I just thought it was my dad. I went into the room, said "hey dad, are you in here?" And right at that moment, my dad passed on the landing upstairs. I started to hyperventilate and I kept thinking not again, not again... Both my mom and him were working upstairs, and my brother was at golf practice, so I was the only one on the first level. Well, I'll tell you what I bolted upstairs that instant and spent the rest of the day around my parents.

My neighbours eventually found a diary in their barn that described Indian attacks exactly where our house was, at the top of the hill. Does that describe the things I've seen and heard there? Maybe, maybe not. As I was getting closer to my high-school graduation in 2006, the activity escalated again. It was now a daily thing to hear something, or feel something, either while someone was home with me, or when I was home alone. I think the only time my brother really believed me about the ghosts was when he got up in the middle of the night, looked through my bedroom (because I always keep the door open), saw the porch swing in front of the house swaying, turned on the bathroom light and the swing stopped completely. He told me about this later, and I'm glad he didn't tell me about it at the time, otherwise I would've freaked.

When I would come home to visit my parents during the first couple of years at OSU, I would still follow my nightly routine, but now it felt stupid. I still had experiences there, and I still felt targeted. I do believe that energy can attach itself to a particular person and for me, it was completely scary. One time when my parents were away on a trip and my brother was by himself at the house, I offered to come up and check on him one afternoon/evening. He left that night to go to a basketball game, so I was alone. I was reading a book on the couch and just vegging when I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and I immediately felt creeped out beyond words. It literally felt like this bundle of negative energy was flying at me. After a while, I couldn't stand it anymore and I left to go to my neighbour's house until my brother returned. Luckily, my neighbour was this sweet lady who had always felt like a grandma. She calmed me down and I was able to go back home.

My parents eventually put that house up for sale and one of the last nights I was there, I just casually said "look, we're moving tomorrow and we're never coming back. The people who bought this house have kids, so bond with them instead." At that moment, I swear I heard a kitchen cabinet slam. The weird part was, my dad later told me that he had heard the same thing that night and now, for some reason, he believed me after all those years. My mom didn't change her stance, but I now had an ally. He said that as they were moving, too many weird things happened for him to question me about it.

Even though I now live in an apartment with my boyfriend and dog, I still feel like something is here with me... Especially when I'm here alone. I constantly feel uncomfortable and edgy. And my sweet dog Winnie reacts to things here. We have the attic door (an actual door) in our bedroom, so that room is always cold. We keep it shut, but now and then I'll look at the bedroom door and swear I see a shadow pass under. I haven't told Todd, but I know he doesn't believe me, either. I guess it'll just always be a part of my life. My parents are building a house right now, so maybe the ghosts will move in with them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kkatz288, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Violet-Tartan (8 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-08-05)
Just scrolling through all my local Oregon stories- That's why I'm commenting on things so old LOL

Anyways -
The thought of a child terrified by something supernatural. And REAL... And being tormented, and knowing it's real... And having their parents shut the door, specifically so they could t hear the child's screams of LEGITIMATE TERROR
- It just BREAKS my heart! 😭
HunterFaith96 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-10)
Girl I would have moved to someone elses house like an uncles! Lol well that just how I am! You need to get help from Ryan Buell I have watched many of his shows where he gets rid of all that bad energy! I loved your story and it kind of scared me some! Good luck threw your journey=]
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! I'm very sorry that your parents never believed you until you all moved out of the house. I really identify with you on that aspect, my family denied the activity in our home for years and years, even when both my sister and I experienced it. It wasn't until my dad saw something standing in the doorway (twice) that they believed me. And then, my mother had the nerve to accuse me of bringing it into the house, by watching 'Ghost Hunters' none the less... I digress

You had quite interesting experiences and I'd be really interested to hear more about this diary that you/your neighbor found... What did your family think of that? Did your brother ever have experiences? Or just you?

Again, thank you very much for sharing and I hope to hear more from you in the future. I'd also like to add that animals sense more than people do... Trust the dog! Keep watch in your new home and please keep us updated, you're a wonderful writer!

Shamby
lynrinth (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
Wow. Now that is freaky. I hope the comments here offer some comfort and hope. This happens to other people, too. I think, along with Javelina, it's just spirits attached to the land your childhood home was sitting on, that noticed you noticing them, and wanted to let you know they were still here. Not forgotten. Since nothing bad ever happen to you, they are more likely harmless. Now, you feel something in your new place. You could just be noticing another spirit, or a spirit has attached itself to you. Since you have dealt with this since childhood, it sounds like you can pretty well keep yourself calm. That's important. They feed on energy. Fear is a good source. I know, easier said than done. Just try to stay calm and strong. You said your boyfriend wouldn't believe you. Have you tried? Maybe, this time, your father would back you up. Pray, tell the spirit to leave you in peace, or just wait and see some signs if this spirit is harmful. Or, just another spirit wanting you to notice them. I hope you find peace soon.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
How sweet of you to hope that this spirit gets attached to small children instead of you. (Sarcasm) Other than that your experience is very scary. I know exactly how it feels to live in a home like that. Scared of walking through your home and leaving lights on.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
Hello Kkatz288,
DeviousAngel makes a great point, your fear does help the spirit manifest. So that's the first thing you want to work on.
With everything you've written, there is no point where any of these spirits tried to cause you any harm. This is important, it means they're just spirits. Nothing evil or harmful, just the spirits of those who've passed on. Frightening, when not prepared for it, but not trying to harm you. You just happen to have the ability to sense, hear, and see them. They know this, which makes you like a lighthouse in a storm to them. You're a beacon of hope to some of them, the ones that are lost and may need help crossing over because they missed that chance when it was first offered and don't know what else to do. The fear of the unknown is natural. Getting past it depends on you.
Nowadays the paranormal is so exagerated by Hollywood that it's a wonder we all don't do screaming into the night at the slightest creak of a floorboard. Fear sells, it's big money and the more fantastic the special effects the the better. This has caused a stygma way out of proportion with what actually goes on. Don't let what is shown in the movies drive your emotions, don't get caught up in the fear machine. You have a very special gift, you can help some of those lost souls find their way home.
Don't get me wrong, it's not written in stone. You can do your best to ignore it and hope it someday fades away. That does happen, but not always.
I'm putting up a link to an article you might find helpful, and I hope it helps.
Http://www.psychic-experiences.com/psychic-articles/shadow-people.php
Please keep us updated about anything you're having problems with. There are a lot of people here that can help guide you.
😊 ❤
PyroGirl (21 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
That would've freaked me out too. I would've grabbed the nearest cat and hyperventilate, saying the Lords Prayer under my breath.
With all due respect,
PyroGirl
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
hi there kkatz228 firstly great post got me gripped from the start.
Agree with deviousAngel its a shame your parents didnot beleave what you told them that might have helped you a lot to know they did not think you were making it up, glad to hear your dad came round in the end though.
Plus if you could bring yourself to do it looking up the history might throw some light on the figure you saw too and you might look into the place your at now to see if anything happened that might lead to answers about the shadow under the atic door just a thought.
Keep posting you have a great way of telling your storys, realy gripping 😉
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
I have to agree with what Pete said. It must have been tough for you since your parents didn't understand or believe what you were going through. I don't think you are/were crazy at all.

Have you had a chance to do any research on the general vicinity of the land where your home sits? The diary was helpful in describing what may have contributed to the atmospheric conditions necessary for this entity to manifest--at least, there was a lot of negative energy on the surrounding land. Something like that is a rare find. It's amazing how fearful spirits can make us without doing anything more than being around or moving a few things now and then.

Attics are kind of a scary place regardless, and having the attic door in your bedroom...well, the sounds could have been from pipes settling, wood creaking, the noises that houses make when things are winding down for the night. It's possible that what you heard was footsteps, don't get me wrong, but I think it's best to consider everything. Some of your fear may be explained by paranoia from your previous experiences, and this spirit likely preyed on your fear and used it to help manifest itself into the physical apparition you saw. What's so weird to me is the clothing the gentleman was wearing--do you know if there were any accidents during construction of your home? Anything that may have been on the land before your parents built the house?

It seems like maybe the property had more recent history if that spirit was there.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
hey K, enjoyed reading your story. Not sure why I was surprised to figure out at the end of it, that you are female, but had you pegged as male through out...
I think it was "bad parenting" on the side of your folks to leave you in that room, scared the way you were. Maybe your father has some regrets with that since he came to figure out there was some truth to your experience. When it comes to the paranormal, many folks are just too "thick" to accept it
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-03-04)
KKatz, thank you for sharing your experiences. I am sure they have been very hard for you to deal with on your own. Sometimes I feel that even when some experiences may have an explanation or even when I let things get to my imagination, the fear that is felt is still very real, and it is never easy to deal with fear on your own. Please know that there are people who appreciate your story because it makes our own fears feel legitimate, and also know that sometimes people discount stories (I'm referring to perhaps your mother or brother) because they don't want such experiences to be true... Because if they are true, they may have to start feeling that fear also. It if my belief that, even when people don't want to believe, they still have some inclinations deep down. Again, thanks, and please continue sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: