You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: T-hill Light

Real Ghost Stories

T-hill Light

 

This story took place in Thermopolis, Wyoming. At the beginning of June '23, my girlfriend and I were staying there on a week-long vacation. One night after dinner, we went on a walk by the river in Hot Springs State Park. Across the river and up the bank, a road goes past T-Hill. It is named for the letter T made of white rock on its side to represent Thermopolis.

The year previous, I hiked up this hill. A small portion of the trail is visible from the road, and you can see bits and pieces of it continuing upward if you look close. I'm very familiar with it as it took me an hour or so to reach the top. And I have visited Thermopolis and the park many times.

Back to the night we decided to walk. The sun had just set. Some rain was falling, and a storm had passed through an hour or so beforehand. As we admired the river, I noticed a bright white-blue light on T-Hill. This light was on the established trail, moving up.

I pointed this light out to my girlfriend. I said it was not a flashlight, as the light was not a beam- more like a ball. We both wondered if someone were going on a night hike up a steep, demanding trail in the rain but decided this probably wasn't the case. And the light was moving at a much faster pace than a person walking.

She suggested a person biking up the hill. That was the only logical explanation as far as I could tell, so we stood there and waited to see this person either go around the switchback to continue up the hill or turn back to come down.

Neither of those things happened. The light disappeared. We had a perfect view of the side of the hill and I know exactly where the first switchback is that should have taken a person the other direction up the hill. It did not move up or down the hill. It was just gone. We continued to walk and watch. It did not reappear.

We went back to our truck and parked it in a lot with a higher vantage point to look for it. The strange light did not reappear, and we waited for 20 or so minutes. After a short drive back to my mom's house where we were staying, we told her about what we had seen. She did not seem surprised and told me that locals and tourists both report strange lights in the hills and mountains visible outside town and within the park. She also told me that someone had died on that trail years ago.

Wyoming at night has an unsettling vibe I can feel in the pit of my stomach every time I'm out there. It is mostly still a very wild place. The state has the smallest population of the contiguous US. I believe lots of paranormal things do occur out there. The area and surrounding states are notorious for this weird activity. I don't have a solid idea of what I saw that night. Maybe a ghost or some kind of extraterrestrial. Or there's a normal explanation - ball lightning, or some other obscure scientific phenomenon. But no matter what it was, Wyoming has a place in my heart as a beautiful, somewhat spooky state that I will keep exploring.

Other hauntings by Weirdchick_97

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Weirdchick_97, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mighty_light (2 stories) (21 posts)
+4
9 months ago (2023-07-12)
Hello Weirdchick97,

You mentioned about the weather being rainy and a thunderstorm passing over the area.

Is it possible that what you saw was St Elmo's fire? I read it's actually a charged ball of plasma that produces light that shows up especially during bad weather and thunderstorms.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+3
10 months ago (2023-07-08)
Hi Weirdchick, this was great to read, thanks for sharing.

There's a lot of reports like this the world over. No one knows why these light balls seem to like forested areas or otherwise remote locations but they do seem to show up in these places. There's loads of theories about what they are from orbs to extra terrestrials and they always seem highly aware of their surroundings. Probably the best thing about these light beings is the amount of reported encounters including the odd video floating around.

Sounds like a heck of an atmospheric evening. Wyoming sounds gorgeous too.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+7
10 months ago (2023-07-07)
My first thought was a lantern. That is a ball-ish shaped light source. But moving too fast for someone walking. Are there bicycle lights like that?... A brief glance through Amazon.com's listing and I see a lot of flashlight shaped devices, but no lanterns.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+3
10 months ago (2023-07-07)
Hi Weirdchick97

It's hard to say exactly what that could have been, but I believe that we all have a sixth sense that warns us and guides.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: