You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: An Entity Or Am I Just Crazy?

Real Ghost Stories

An Entity Or Am I Just Crazy?

 

We have been living in the same flat for almost 7 years now. When I was about 13, I'd been going to bed quite late so I didn't get enough sleep especially when it's weekdays. That was when I started to experience Sleep Paralysis. I usually get woken up unable to move and unable to make sounds. It happens once or twice a week but then last week I've been experiencing it every night! Not only that but I woke up whilst paralysed with something or someone holding my neck tight which made me unable to breath like I normally do.

My eyes are completely opened wide and nobody's even there. I tried calming myself like I would do when I'm having sleep paralysis but since I'm having a hard time to breathe, it made me go all panicky. I was then finally released from choking and after that I didn't go to bed. I just... Prayed. I told my mum and she told me I might have been sleeping in a wrong position.

Nothing happens to me at the moment when I'm sleeping. So I guess everything is quite okay now. However earlier about 4 PM, I arrived from school because I had to attend something with my friend; My dad angrily shouted at me 5 times somewhere in the flat calling me by my full name and I was a bit surprised. I rushed upstairs asking my dad what's wrong and my dad never responded. I then realised that I was all alone! I was still spooked out but I never let fear take over me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Obvious_Game, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JarMan (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-21)
I'd say Sleep Paralysis.

Sleeping is the time in which your brain shuffles around data for the day, it takes memories, moves them around and decides what to keep and what to get rid of, what to store in long term memory and what goes into short term.

During your deepest stage of sleep you dream. During this time your body usually disconnects itself in an attempt to protect you from thrashing around.

Sleep Paralysis occurs when a person wakes up quickly while the brain is still disconnected from the body. You will be temporarily paralyzed and in some cases your brain will still be in dream mode.

During this time your brain can actually project things on to the real world environment. Imagine you are looking through a set of old school red and blue 3D specs. The red is reality and the blue is your mind. For a limited time the red and blue merge and you can see stuff while you are awake this can lead to sometimes horrifying events. I am told you can also *hear* things that are not there.

As for the lack of breath, gasping for air, it could either be a side effect of sleep paralysis or sleep apena where you stop breathing in your sleep. If the problem persists, see a doctor.

As for a recurring dream, it happens, it's not at all uncommon, its not uncommon to pick up a dream from where it last left off either. Trying to analyze a dream is like trying to prove the existence of God.
NSN82 (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-20)
I also believe that the feeling of being choked is related to sleep paralysis. As for the last part (hearing your father calling your name) It is said that demons have the ability to mimic the voices of loved ones. If you continue hearing these voices I would recommend finding someone who can help.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-20)
I gotta say my peace in this... I agree with Devious. But looking at the name... This strikes me as an Obvious Game.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-19)
Nice catch on this one D/A! I hadn't even thought about that. Obvious_Game, this might be a good thing to at least read up on as I do know that if left untreated, it can become problematic, especially later in life. Good luck and keep us posted if you find any thing more about it.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-19)
I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up to you or not, but this also sounds like the potential onset of sleep apnea.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

"Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is the most common category of sleep-disordered breathing. The muscle tone of the body ordinarily relaxes during sleep, and at the level of the throat the human airway is composed of collapsible walls of soft tissue which can obstruct breathing during sleep. Mild occasional sleep apnea, such as many people experience during an upper respiratory infection, may not be important, but chronic severe obstructive sleep apnea requires treatment to prevent low blood oxygen (hypoxemia), sleep deprivation, and other complication."
Obvious_Game (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-19)
Thank you for everyone's comments =)
Doodlebug1996: It's okay! You don't have to worry about giving advice and stuff. It's good to know that I'm not alone.:)

Javelina: When Sleep Paralysis happened to me for the first time, I got a freaked out too but then since its been happening mostly twice or once a week I got used to it:)

LittleZebra: I left out a detail about my sleeping position at the time when it happened. I was actually sleeping on my left side and I always did everytime when I'm sleeping. I rarely move around on my bed so whenever I fall asleep on my side, I stay like that for the whole time. Thank you for the advice though.:)

Jinkies0x: Yes, activity happens around the flat when I'm all alone. I'll post a new story soon:). I have heard of the Choking Woman story and from most people that I knew who told me stories about it, they said that the woman is usually overweight which makes it hard for the victim to breath.
doodlebug1996 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-19)
This happens to me too! Sometimes it happens as soon as I wake up, but mostly it happens just before I fall asleep, in the moment between awake and asleep, and I'll always feel wide awake afterwards. I don't really know what it is, but it doesn't really scare me. But yeah sorry I couldn't really offer advice 😕 It's just really similair to my situation
Doodlebug 😉
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-19)
Obvious_Game,
This same thing happens to my husband when he falls asleep on his back with his arms draped across his chest or stomach. His arms will go to sleep too sometimes and he'll wake up and start flopping around like a fish out of water! Once he realizes that all he needs to do is roll over on his side and sit up he's fine, but his first reaction is to freak out! He's one of those people who never have trouble falling asleep, it's just that when he lays on his back it usually ends up with him flopping again.
😊
LittleZebra (5 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-19)
Your Mum is right. Sleeping on your back will open yourself up to sleep paralysis.

Sleep on your side or your tummy instead.
jinkies0x (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-18)
Has there been any recent activity?
Also, I'm not an expert on this subject, but I heard of something called The Choking Woman or The Kneeling Woman (or it could be something totally different, I'm pretty sure it had "woman" in it though).

Apparently, you'll wake up after being asleep and you'll feel like someone is sitting on your chest. You can't move, you can't speak, and you can't breathe.

In your case, however, you can still breathe (though it's hard to) and it's not the chest, it's the throat. I'd rule out the idea you were dreaming. I don't think you would dream the same dream every night for a week. It is odd though, but I don't know if it could actually be considered paranormal. Maybe wait around for any other activity?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: