You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Vineyard House Pest Control

Real Ghost Stories

The Vineyard House Pest Control

 

This story is actually one of my family member's stories. He told me I could go ahead and post it for him. He owns a pest control service in Placerville CA (Also known as Hang town because of the many public hangings there where). He did the pest control for a historic house called The Vineyard House in Coloma (where gold was discovered, the house has been on many ghost hunting shows). This house is famous for the history and its spirits. At one time it was used to be a house, hotel, bar, jail, and it was always a winery. But someone bought it and it has been closed to the public for about 2 years now.

The original family built it in the mid 1800s and the family experienced many tragedies. The husband ended up with syphilis, which over time caused blindness and mental illness. Because he became violent from being mentally ill, his wife had him chained to a wall in the basement of the house, where he reportedly died. Then the winery ended up being destroyed. Then their children died of an illness. Then the wife died also. I have also heard that there where some executions that took place on the property. They are all buried in the cemetery across the street. The cemetery is also famous for its spirits but that is a whole other story.

Anyways, I have heard SO MANY ghost stories about that place and I have always wanted to go in! Well when my uncle was doing the pest control there a few years back it was closed and owned by the bank. But there was a serious rat/mice problem in the basement. Because it had been owned by the bank for about a year the power was shut off. So he would go in the basement (where the husband was chained up and died) in pitch black. He said "going down the stairs into the basement felt like walking down into the pits of hell only without the fire ". He said just walking down there made his skin crawl because he could feel such a strong presence.

He said one day he was down there setting up rat/mice traps and he heard a voice. He said, "I turned around with my flashlight to find no one was there. I thought maybe someone was down there hiding and just messing with me so I said 'If there is anyone in here you need to leave the room because I am spraying for bugs and it's not good to breathe.' But no one responded. So I kept spraying and putting out traps. I heard another whisper and I realized I was NOT alone. I continued spraying trying to pretend I wasn't scared and all of the sudden I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around expecting someone behind me and once again there was no one. After that I told whatever was with me in the room to leave me alone and it did. That basement felt so evil and nasty I had to get out of there!"

He said he still did the pest control until the house was sold. He said every time he would go into the house, no matter which part of the house, he would always feel a spirit with him or hear whispers. He said he also heard what sounded like men walking around in boots and children laughing. He also said that he eventually got used to it and just ignored them, did his job, and left. But he said he will never forget everything that happened in the Vineyard House.

I myself have never been in the house. If it was still open to the public I would go in there for sure! Not just for the spirits but for its history. I have been across the street in the cemetery MANY times and have experienced paranormal activity there (without seeking it). I know exactly where the original owner's family plot is and you can see the Vineyard House from their plot. Just thought I'd share it with you. Thanks for reading! Leave a comment if you want.

Other hauntings by Jeanine_dv

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jeanine_dv, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jeanine_dv (6 stories) (21 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-11)
Thank you guys for reading my story and the comments! I want to explore that place so badly! I really wish it was open to the public still!
Thank you guys!
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-24)
Wow. I want to go. That's all I have to say but I know I need to say more. I know how your uncle felt in there. This story is twisted and I can't wait to see this place.

LSD
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-04-23)
hi 510mot can't chat sorry seems we are a part of a gang fest and attack peoples stories so will have to back off a bit 😐 😭 😲
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-04-22)
wuzzup guys! Read any good comments lately?lol! I don't know about you but I am having an interesting night.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-22)
wow just did search and found another usa site with this place mentioned and a whole load of other peoples experiances there thanks for putting this story up jeanine_dv 😁
Carl
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-22)
Hello Jeanine_dv,

Much enjoyed reading your sharing of these scary things your uncle did experience! A brave man, like other posters said before me, to have the guts going back there! I thought it was horible that they chained the father to the basement wall, what times were that...

Greetings,
Peter
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-21)
fantastic story grippin too
Will have to do search on the house see if anymore online thanks for posting and hope to hear more if you got any
Carl
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-21)
Great story, thanks for sharing it with us. That place sure had some crazy history. The man chained up in the basement left to die is enough to scare me senseless. 😨 I hope to see some other stories from you too. 😊
snowhite (203 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-21)
WoW, all I have to say is that your uncle is a very brave man, if I were him, I would die of a heart attack. There is no way for me to go back there again.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-04-21)
Jeanine_dv,
I know exactly what house you're talking about! The one up by Sutters Mill, right? I heard those stories, about 25 years ago. And, yes, I believe every word. I went to a wedding at the little chapel there years ago and someone told me about the old man dying in the basement, chained to the wall. It freaked me out back then, still does even now. I mean, the place LOOKS haunted! I had completely forgotten about that place until I read your story, thanks for the reminder.
I used to live in Diamond Springs back then. My Uncle George used to own the Mortuary over on Bee Street in Placerville for years, him and my Aunt have since passed on. I never thought much about it until now but, is that still a Mortuary? Or is it a residence now? I don't have any idea.
Placerville is one haunted town though, almost every neighborhood has a haunted house or two, and most of the old downtown businesses are claimed to be haunted too. Which I don't doubt in the least.
😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-20)
Jeanine: Wow, that sounds like my kind of place! 😆...It's a shame they don't allow the public to go there... Hopefully you have some stories to post about the "family plot"?...

Your uncle is very brave to have been able to continue his work in such a place... Now you have my curiousity piqued...Google, here I come! 😆

Thanks for posting, and looking forward to more!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: