You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Incident With The Attic Door

Real Ghost Stories

Incident With The Attic Door

 

I have always enjoyed reading or hearing about ghost stories growing up but would take them with a pinch of salt, who really knows what's 'out there'! However for the first time in my life I had an experience that I could not explain and to this day I always check the attic door.

I live in a new (ish) house that was built upon an old cottage years back. There is a large 5ft by 3ft door to the attic which to reach you have to stand on a chair or use the ladder. I never open it as it is very heavy and sits down into a 6inch deep groove. My partner always deals with it. During some bad weather we opened it to prevent pipes freezing and he forgot to close it before going to work the next day. I noticed this and got a chair and went to close it. Fine no problem all done. It was heavy but I turned it and it sat into its housing. It was quite a windy day outside and miserable. My partner rang to remind me to close it as he had forgotten. I told him I had, then my young child went up to the bathroom and shouted down that I hadn't closed it as it was open. I shouted up 'no it's closed' and went to check.

So up I went and looked and there it was as before opened and tilted at an angle (its not a hinged door it is movable and we normally turn it at an angle so it can't fall through the opening (for safety). I went cold with shock and had to think back did I really get the chair and close it. I knew I had. Again I got the chair and slowly (being frightened to even look upwards as I did), went and closed it again.

To this day no one can explain it. I could blame the wind through the attic, but don't think it is possible. What else could it be? I have never had an incident before or since but I do look up over my shoulder slowly most days to check it's closed with a fear that I will see it open again as that would confirm for me something is up! To banish my fears I shrug it off... But will always wonder...

Other hauntings by skypette

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, skypette, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

NiNiNogginHead (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-23)
Are you sure it wasn't the wind or that it could have slipped open somehow? If not I wouldn't make a big deal out of it being as it only happened once and nobody got hurt.
skypette (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-24)
Thanks for all your comments. I still check the door daily. I guess maybe it was the wind. The only thing I ponder is that the door was tilted at an angle not just blown open. Since it has never happened again and we have never had any other issue here in the house I pass it off. Cheers!
darkfantum (44 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-28)
i don't know what it was it could have been the wind but it could have been a ghost as it was built on an old cottage try to find out some history on the area.
Yours truly darkfantum
Bekkiboo (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
This possibly was the wind, I live in ireland and are attic door is smaller than urs... At christmas we had terrible wind and the attic door blew up in to the attic...:) x
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
Do you know the floor plan of the old cottage and how it corelates to the layout of the current structure? I am not sure exactly what I am looking for, just a detectives hunch I suppose. Your home may not have much history but the site on which it sets does.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
skypette,
If it was just the one time, I'd forget about it, if possible. If there was something that wanted attention, it would have made it a lot more evident.

Jav
DevilishSia (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-27)
Hmm... Most likely it was just the wind... But if not, maybe it slipped.

Love,
Sia ❤
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-26)
Liky Lynrinth said atleast it was one time. Have you ever felt like a presence was there or any spirits or anything was there?

Peace
JustCurious
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-26)
Well, at least it was one time. Maybe it won't happen again. Besides, sometimes we need a little mystery in our lives. 😁 Take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: