You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: Manly Quarantine Station Ghost Tour 2011

Real Ghost Stories

Manly Quarantine Station Ghost Tour 2011

 

My boyfriend and I recently went on the Extreme Ghost Tour at the Manly Quarantine Station here in Sydney, NSW. The quarantine station itself dates back to the 1830s and has a history of disease and death on the grounds. We had been on the regular ghost tour a few years prior and wanted to check it out again. So we opted for the extreme tour, which had 2 psychic medium guides along for the ride to tell us stories, connect with spirits and dabble in the use of dousing rods.

The first part of the tour was a bit cheesy. We were sitting in this room which was set up to look like a bit like a theatre, with red lights and elevated benches. My boyfriend was the first one to try out some dousing rods and had some movement straight away. Everyone who had a go all had the same reaction in the same corner of the room. Turns out there was a cranky male ghost who considered that area of the location to be his stomping grounds. When we were able to get up and look around that particular area of the room was really uncomfortable to be in. We only took around 3 photos in that room because it just felt so invasive to take anymore. We did get an orb in that room but that was pretty much it.

Throughout the rest of the night the cheese factor left and it became intriguing. I have always been able to sense when spirits are around. I don't physically see them or anything, I just get "a feeling". It's hard to explain. Anyway, this night was a bit different for me in that regard.

We went to a small shower block which was situated underneath a dining hall which was used by the 3rd class passengers. This shower block was rather small. Only 4 people at a time went in on the tour. I was in the first group to go in and as I walked through the door I was immediately drawn to the left of the room. I felt a cool breeze whoosh from around waist height up to my face. It wasn't cold, just cooler than the rest of the room. I stood there with my arms by my sides and I just felt this weird sensation in my hands that I can only describe as pins and needles. It was so different to anything I've ever experienced. It wasn't scary or anything, just different.

So as I'm standing there one off the guides calls in and asks if anyone has experienced anything in there. All of others in there called out no. I didn't say anything because I didn't know what I was feeling. Then the guide said, are you sure there's nobody in there who can feel anything in their hands. At that I said "yeaaaah", and then walked out of the room. I never mentioned anything to my boyfriend and he came out of the room and told me what happened to him in there which was EXACTLY the same thing that happened to me. Cool breeze followed by pins and needles in both hands. While the group moved on I told the tour guide what I felt in my hands and she said "that's the way I sense spirits too". So that was my first official time having a physical reaction in my body from a spirit being close by. It was amazingly awesome!

We also headed up to this little house which I sensed had 2 cranky male spirits that lived there. I was right. Before I had a chat to the guide about the location I went for a wander through the house. The backroom felt awful and like I wasn't meant to be in there. The bedroom that is off of the kitchen was another room I felt like we weren't supposed to be in. When I was in there by myself I was drawn to the open wardrobe after I heard a knock coming from the inside of it. As I walked over and stood in front of it I felt like a man was standing in front of the wardrobe and kind of leaning forward towards me, trying to intimidate me. It worked! I got outta that room and talked to the guide about the house and asked her if 2 men were there. She said yes and that both spirits hated people coming into the house.

While walking from one location to another I did see what looked like a black shadow of a female in a long dress out of the corner of my eye, but who knows. It may have been my eyes adjusting to a light or something. We did stop a little past where I thought I saw the shadow for a chat and the guides said that the houses where I saw the shadow were often visited by spirits. Staff members of the Q Station lived there and they reported ghost activity there. Later on I asked if people see spirits wandering the grounds and they said yes. So who knows if I saw anything. I'm inconclusive on that one.

There's the hospital and a bunch of other cool places on the tour too. The first time I visited the hospital I felt sick to my stomach and as soon as I left the room it was gone. This time around I heard whistling at the same time as my boyfriend did and I felt a jabbing pain in my rib. The hospital always makes me feel eugh.

Then to finish the tour off we visited the shower blocks. They are horrid. I hate them. I'm yet to actually walk the entire length of the shower block. Both times I've visited I've only been able to get as far as the 3rd or 4th stall and have to go outside. It just feels horrible in there and like a thousand eyes are watching you. I told my boyfriend to take a photo of the hallway because there was a spirit on the right hand side near the second stall and sure enough, there was an orb right there in the photo.

The Q Station is a great place to check out for ghost tours. I'll be going back again for sure!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cookie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-21)
Hi Jessica,

Thanks for alerting me to this account, literally in my backyard. Back in the 80's, I looked after any telephone service faults in the area encompassing Manly Hospital, The School of Artillery, The Federal Police Training Academy and the Quarantine Station.

I recall fixing the Quarantine Station's phone system and being invited by a security guard to go on a 'bit of a tour'. I was told of the immigrants' tragic plight (their woe mainly being caused by ignorance), as 'Johnson123' outlined.

Now I was only getting information about the station without the 'Ghost Tour Hype' but when we started walking through the showers, we both fell silent and I really felt a need to run out of there.

I've stayed in a couple of haunted hotels and have done the Port Arthur Ghost Tour but I never had that feeling again. I will be going back to do the proper Ghost Tour but only with my wife and a few select friends.

Rex-T
JessicaLM (1 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-07-21)
Hi Cookie, I know this is a really old post so I don't know if you will see my response, but I just wanted to say I had the exact same experience in that small house a few years ago. I only sensed one man there though but he definitely didn't want me in there. While I was standing in the back room, I think it was a kitchen/dining room, I "saw/sensed" a tall dark male figure standing over me, staring down at me angrily. I got the impression he was very angry I was there. Made me so uncomfortable I had to leave the house. It was such a powerful feeling. It blew my mind when I read about your experience there too!

I also had a freaky experience in the shower block where there was the sound of footsteps shuffling along behind me, but there was nobody there.
I also heard a loud growl in the hospital.

I had a nice experience though with a EMF reader while communicating with what is supposed to be the spirit of a young boy. I asked him to hold my hand and the EMF reader spiked and my hand suddenly went very cold. It was amazing.
Such an incredible venue.
johnson123 (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-07)
I thought I'd just mention the large shower block is where a lot of pain was caused, due to the need to cleanse migrants the showers actuallyused a mix of water and acid, as this would burn off several layers of skin. Back in the day people thought this would leave the people cleaner but it was the opposite as skin was a lot more prone to infection this way, a lot of people died as a result. Thought this might be interesting to some...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
cookie,
I should have included this with my last comment but I got so excited about it raining outside that I let it sidetrack me.
It's obvious to me that you are just as much a medium as the ones that took you on the tour. And you sound comfortable with your gift, which is very good to hear.
So don't be a stranger, huh?

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
cookie,
I love this story and your writing style. I remember watching the Ghost Hunters Intl episode that they filmed there and it was quite unnerving. Those shower stalls at the end that you can't seem to go into without getting through to the end? If those are the ones they showed on that episode then I can certainly understand your reluctance. It made me feel unwell just watching that part on TV.
I have to agree with DARKNESS about the lost souls there, and I too hope that someday they will find there way to the other side and find peace. ❤

Jav
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-03)
Cookie I enjoyed your experience, I have heard of the Manly Quarantine station before and would definitely love to visit it one day, its a long way from Perth though haha. Seems as though there is a lot of pain and anger in some of these souls that are still earth bound, hopefully one day they can move on and be in peace.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
johntravis28 (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-01)
Good story. I usually take such tours with a pinch of salt though, because it is in their financial interest for their guests to experience paranormal activity. A lot tend to engineer these events through either the power of suggestion or rigging certain sound effects and using draft blowers and temperature control.

Sounds like it gave you a good scare though and sounds like enjoyable fun
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
I wonder why the shower blocks are so bad. Something really not good must have went down there. Or, the ghosts are trapped in an eternal shower and they don't want anyone to see them. Sorry... Good story. Thank you for sharing. I love to hear about haunted and public locations.
sarahmariacecilia (3 stories) (105 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
Wow what an experience you had! How cool that you feel the sensation in your hands when you feel the presence of a spirit around. Now I REALLY want to visit Australia 😁 Thanks for the story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: