You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: A Late Night Tour Of A Castle

Real Ghost Stories

A Late Night Tour Of A Castle

 

Now, I've only discovered this website over the past couple of weeks and this is my first story, so please don't criticize the amount (or lack of) detail I go into.

So, to put this in a time frame, I'm currently 17 years old and this story occurred a few years back, when I was about 12 or 13. I honestly can't remember, but I do know that I had just been given my first mobile phone; you'll see why the phone is important.

Anyway, my best friend, Sophie, and I were majorly into all the paranormal stuff. We'd stay up late every Tuesday night in order to watch a show called "Most Haunted" that really inspired us to be like the people on that show - we wanted to find ghosts. We knew about a castle in a nearby location (Bodelwyddan Castle, North Wales) that did ghost hunting tours and so we convinced Sophie's mum to take us there on this tour. We couldn't stay to do the overnight hunt like we wanted to as we have to be 18 to do that, but we were excited to go nonetheless.

I was determined to capture some evidence of a presence or something at least and so I took my camera phone with me; I'd seen the people on TV use cameras to catch evidence so I thought I'd do the same. Now, the first part of the tour was a genuine tour of the old castle, but I couldn't help but feel like something just wasn't right. I was at the back of the group (Sophie, her mum, myself and several others) that was being taken around so I thought I was being paranoid when we entered the first hallway to start the tour, but I just felt as if there was something watching me. Instinctively, I grabbed my phone, turned around and took a picture on my phone. I didn't want to look at any pictures until I'd finished my tour.

Anyway, I digress. The feeling of something being "off" seemed to disappear for a while and Sophie and I were really enjoying ourselves and the idea that we could actually find a ghost as we were being told stories about all the people who had passed on on the premises by the tour guides. At this point, we were in a room that used to be the children's nursery and we had just been told about a girl who drowned in a pond on the vicinity, so the tour guides decided to get out some equipment that would allow us to know when there was a presence with us in the room; it could pinpoint exactly in the room where it was. Now, I don't know how to describe this equipment other than something similar to what you see some scientist use to find water - those two wires that you hold loosely and they'll turn to show you where there is a change in the atmosphere.

They gave a set of these to us in a number of little groups and I remember that I was the last person to have a go with them. Nobody else had seemed to get a result, but as soon as I had my turn, the wires went crazy. I didn't believe it. I touched the metal and they turned to point right in front of me, forming a "X" shape rather that staying parallel so that is how I knew I had a reading. I was astonished and freaking out at the same time. All I could think was "Have I found something? Have I found a ghost?!" Being young, I'm surprised I wasn't more scared than I already was.

Once again, the activity died down, but just before the end of the tour, the tour guides decided to take small groups of us down into the basement and they would perform little seances with us. Sophie, her mum and I were all in a group with another man and the two tour guides. I don't remember much of this night, but I do remember this part clear as day. Questions were asked and they were answered, too. The glass we had placed in the center of the table was moving as we placed our fingertips lightly onto it and it was scary. We were interrogating this presence with us to find out who it was and we were given the information that it was the little girl who drowned. At one point, the man that was in our group asked, "Can you tell us where you are in the room?" Now, bear in mind I have my back to the wall and I am practically pressed up against it (and I'm also feeling slightly claustrophobic), so when the glass moves to say that this presence is right beside me, I am totally scared to the point I can't move. I was almost crying.

I didn't hesitate to leave that room after the seance was over as the girl had also told us she had been following Sophie and me throughout the tour. I was unable to comprehend anything. But that was when I remembered about my phone. At the end of the tour, as it was about to finish, the tour guides asked if we had any evidence.

I went to the gallery of photos on my phone, looking at the latest one that I had taken. Sure enough, it was of the hallway that I had begun this tour in. However, to my complete surprise, in the photograph there was an image clear as day of two people (presumed to be workers during the very early Victorian era), a boy and a girl, stood next to each other. There was no one behind me when I took that picture - I simply sensed something. The strangest thing bout that picture, though, was that the people were completely transparent, but I could see every facial feature clearly. Everyone I showed the picture to saw the same thing.

I would upload the picture, but unfortunately my older sister was given my old phone and I have not seen it in year, but I swear, the picture I took is 100% real.

So this was my first story of my second paranormal experience, not sure if I should post my other experiences, so please do let me know if I should. Thank you for reading!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, iTendToSqueak, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hack-Generation (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
😕 well then...
That's creepy. I had a similar thing happen to me when I went on a tour. I felt like I was being followed and would get random (bone chilling) cold blast of air from different directions even though the group was outside and there was no wind and the weather was stifling hot. I also felt someone sitting next to me and was too scared to look beside myself because I saw a face in the corner of my eye. (The sitting was during a lunch break)
JessicaLove (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-27)
Strangely, I have decided to go to the castle this was about. Your experience sounds interesting and I can, t wait to go see if I can experience the same thing there?
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-25)
Squeak - I'd be very interested to see those pictures. Most ghost pictures are orbs or light streaks, nothing as clear as what you describe. Hope you can borrow the phone and download them.
iTendToSqueak (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-24)
I can safely say that the guides only moderated the seance. The whole thing was actually powered by the tourists. It was weird that the glass moved so quickly and strongly.
If I can get the phone back I'll ask the administators to add it on here.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-23)
Those wires you mention are called dowsing rods. I've never tried them, but some folks swear by them. Not exactly scientific, but people have been using them for ages.
The seance, well, I tend to be very, very skeptical of seances. People who run ghost tours need people to experience something so that they can stay in business. If anyone who worked the tour was touching the glass, I would disregard anything said by the "ghost." Sorry.
The picture though... Dang I wish you still had it lol. That sounds like an intriguing bit of evidence, and legit.
If you decide to post your other experiences, I would be interested in reading them.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: