You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Missing Virgin Mary

Real Ghost Stories

The Missing Virgin Mary

 

It's been more than a decade since the strange incident in my friend's granny's house, but I can still remember the minutes of one of the most heart-pounding experiences that I've ever had.

Mind you, I'm not one to believe in ghosts. Honestly, I've never even seen floating orbs or human-shaped smoke, ever. I'm a skeptic by nature. My mom told me though that there was a time when I actually saw a tall dark figure but I must have been to young to remember. I'll tell you about it on another post.

Anyway, during my sophomore years, me and my classmates formed a band. It was summer. There were five of us, and we were looking for a good place to rehearse in. Jason offered us his grandmother's house, which was really old, try 50 years old. Grandma was planning to spend the week in her sister's house so we have the house all to ourselves.

We didn't have any problems for the first three days and nights but on the fourth night, that's when things got more...interesting.

We didn't sleep on the bed, instead we laid a mattress on the floor. The bedroom was huge. The door was on one corner and grandma's bed was placed on the northern wall. On the eastern wall, just across the door to the room, was a huge shelf, about 6 and a half feet tall. It was covered with glass panels. Inside it where miniature statues of different saints, which grandma collected (it's a Filipino thing). In the center, poised like it's the most important decoration of the lot, was a one foot tall, wooden, carved statue of the Virgin Mary.

We laid on the mattress placed about four feet away from the shelf. Alex was lying closest to it, then I was lying beside him. Next to me where the other two guys and last was Jason himself.

Alex woke me up at around 1AM, he was nervous and he said that he couldn't sleep. I told him to try to and then I went back to sleeping. Not more than half an hour later he woke me up again and he said that he couldn't sleep and that he thinks that the statues are looking at us. Annoyed, but just a little bit freaked-out by what Alex said, I woke Jason up and asked him if there was anything weird about his grandma's house. He just looked at the shelf and shrugged, like he knows it, like he's experienced it several times. Alex looked at me nervously and begged me to switch places with him. I hesitated, but I did.

I tried to sleep, but I can't seem to. I suddenly felt heavy and my chest tightened. It seemed like everything suddenly became quiet. All I can hear was Alex's breathing, and from the sound of it I can tell that he's shaking. Then it happened. At first I thought that it was just my imagination, but I heard a faint tapping on the glass panels, like tik,tik...tik,tik,tik...something like that. I was too afraid to open my eyes. I just pretended that I was already asleep, hoping that whatever it was will go away. It went on for a couple of seconds then I felt a pressure on the mattress right in front of my face, like there was something heavy placed on it. It brushed the skin on my cheek and it felt solid and cold. Reflexively, I opened my eyes and I was looking at the shelf. To my shock, the statue of the Virgin Mary was gone. I looked at the other guys and apparently Alex's eyes were open and he was also staring at the shelf.

I woke Jason up to ask him what was going on, he sat up and explained to us like a dad explaining puberty to his kids that it was nothing harmful, and that it normally happens when there are new people in the house. We never found out where the statue went but grandma never asked us where it was when she came back anyway.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, wildeye27, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Winxel_Ochoa (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Hi this is Winxel from GMA7. Can I have your contact details wildeye27? We want to discuss an inquiry regarding your story. You can send me an email to winxelochoa [at] gmail.com. Thank you very much
Strawberry_Kitty (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
That frightened me!

I was really curious about what Alex said that the statues were staring at you. What I think is that the statues were looking at you because they wanted to know you and May I just ask if the statue was given to her or was bought in a garage sale because it may have been owned by a dead person and the dead person takes it back but gives it back sometimes. That is only my opinion I do not mean anything bad. ❤
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
wildeye27

I'm curious, how do the neighbours know there are kids running around inside the house? Are they walking onto the property and looking in the windows? Why would they do that, what business is it of theirs and why would they think it's so strange that they feel the need to gossip about it?

Interesting though, because the Virgin Mary is the Virgin MOTHER and I've never heard of experiences where She does anything to frighten anybody, particularly children! Quite the opposite, the only stories I've heard are of her showing or bringing compassion and comfort. I've heard stories of her crying when something is happening that saddens her. Maybe I just haven't heard enough stories, I don't know.
estradagj (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-04)
that was odd, so what did Jason told you abot the statue? Share it... =)
wildeye27 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-14)
Oh and just to answer your questions:

Blue raven, it doesn't make sense but the statue just kind of disappears... No one goes out to look for it. The house was haunted, the virgin Mary incident I think is just one manifestation... Other incidents includes dogs barking on the walls of the house, neighbors telling us they see kids running around inside...

Bacchaegirl, it was odd, but looking at it from a cultural standpoint, haunted houses are actually as common as mosquitoes here... Its still scary but somehow I think we just wanted to keep it as a mystery... Its part of the "entertainment" which I guess is why no one bothered to ask:)

Jav, yes, you're right, that's exactly what I think granny wanted for us:)...thank you:)

Loganz, Jason just spoke to us about other less insignificant events like the neighbors talking about kids running inside the house itself and dogs barking on random walls outside the house:)

JustCurious, actually grandma seems to know what's going on, and she just couldn't care less haha:)
wildeye27 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-14)
Thank you so much for your interest... Never really tried sharing these stories online before so its kind of new for me...Yes, I do have a lot more of them, most of it though were my mom's personal experiences when she was younger and rebellious:)...I'll try to post more stories next week perhaps... My wife doesn't like it when I tell people these stories... Freaks her out:)
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
i have a question, did your friend tell you where the virgin mary went or was it haunted or something?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
OK, first things first.
Your friends Grandmother was obviously Catholic. Which just means that yes, the Virgin Mary was the most important statue in the lot.
Second, it sounds to me like she was trying to tell you guys to mellow out and get a grip. Plus, you were in her presence and maybe she was a little miffed at you for not showing the proper respect.
Third, your friend seemed to know the ups and downs of it all, I would have tried to follow his lead.
This was a great read, I can't wait to hear your other stories. But I do have to say that I got a good laugh at Alex waking you up because he thought the statues were staring at you guys. 😆 That was funny!

Jav

~~PS...Thank you Logans sis for pointing this one out, I don't know how I missed it.~~ 😊
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-04)
Hey, did you friend elaborate on what other things happens there. Since he seemed familiar with these odd happenings.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
Maybe she didn't ask because maybe it returned to its spot when you guys left?

Peace
JustCurious
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
How odd that no one asked what happeneded to the statue. I personally, would be at least mildly concerned about it. But if your friend and his granny didn't seem to bothered about it, I guess it's all okay then. I guess...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: