You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Gust Of Wind Inside

Real Ghost Stories

Gust Of Wind Inside

 

This event happened in about 1995 in the town of Great Yarmouth on the east coast of Norfolk in the UK. It was Christmas and some friends had gone to Yorkshire to spend time with relatives. I agreed to visit their house twice a day while they were away to check on the house and to feed their cat.

Their house was a small two bedroom, mid terrece house, with the two bedrooms and bathroom upstairs and a living room and kitchen downstairs. They had often talked of strange things happening such as voices coming from upstairs and pictures falling from walls.

On one occasion, I was visiting them when a crash was heard from upstairs while we were all downstairs in the living room. We found a picture had fallen off the wall, but the nail that it hung from was still in the wall pointing slightly upwards so the picture had not simply slid off the nail, and the string on the back of the picture was still intact.

While they were away I went to the house twice a day in the morning and evening to leave food out for the cat. In the evening I would stay for an hour and put the fire on to warm the room while I watched TV. I would try not to think about ghosts and things like that and for the first two evenings nothing unusual happened.

On the third evening, while I was sitting there watching television, the cat started to stare at the door between the living room and kitchen. The door then stared to bang gently, as though either a draught was moving it or someone was trying to open it without turning the handle. The banging then got faster and then what seemed like a large gust of wind blew across the room and knocked all the Christmas cards off of the mantle above the fireplace. I picked up the cards and put them back and the door no longer banged but I felt so uneasy that I went home straight away.

It was cold outside but there was no noticable wind and it was very still before and after the events inside the house. Until my friends returned a few days later I didn't stay long in the house, only long enough to leave food out for the cat.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ChrisHewitt, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisHewitt (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Hi all. Sorry for the delay in responding but I was working last night and did not have time to respond then. I have also had problems getting onto this site today.

Caz
The cat "Timmy" started staring at the door a few seconds before I heard the banging. I wondered if cats have a better range of hearing than us like dogs, maybe he heard the banging before it got loud enough for me to hear it. I have not heard of "binding" before but luckily if it was a spirit it did not seem to follow me.

Carl
I'm sorry but I can't remember exactly what kind of fire it was but it definatly had a switch or button to ignite it and a naked flame such as a match was not required. There was no noticable sound, just a strong gust of wind coming from the direction of the fireplace.

Cheers Chris
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
hi there chris a question for you,
What kind of fire was it?
When I was a kid I lived in the kind of house your talking about and we had a built in fire that stuck out from the wall, had to be turned on by a dial on the top that we had to push down turn until it clicked.

If this was the same kind then it was not possible for wind to come down from the chimney as the back of the fire would be inclosed and a flue pipe would be up the chimney all the way to the roof, no wind could get out of the fire as that could extinguish the flame leaving the gas on! Even if wind came down the pipe it would have made a loud whistle as it is allowed to escape out of the back of the flue pipe
Just before it enters the fire at the back.
So if it was a gust of wind from the chimney you would most definatly heard it.
Just some info.
Carl
Caz (342 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Hi Chris, While we must always explore the possibility of natural causes, I find it very difficult to see how a picture could come off an 'upturned' nail, due to dust! Also, did you mean that the cat started to stare at the door 'before' it started banging? If so, coupled with the verbal evidence of your friends, I'd say it's likely there was some spirit activity that day! If you ever visit a place you suspect is haunted, it's always a good idea to do a 'binding' to ensure nothing can follow you when you leave. This is very simple and only takes seconds. Just before you step out the door, say "I bind you to this house, in the name of Jesus Christ." [or in the name of whichever power you believe in]! You can also substitute the word 'house' for hotel/cemetry or whatever! I learned to do this after being followed home once! Not nice!
ChrisHewitt (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Thanks for the reply.

As regards the wind, it just seemed so out of place on such a calm evening especially inside. I did wonder if turning on the fire may have drawn some cold air down the chimney. It seems unlikely but I suppose it's possible.

A few months later their daughter left school and they moved back up to Yorkshire. As far as I am aware nothing of note happened before they moved. I often walk pass the house and about three weeks ago when I last went that way it was empty with a " For Lease" sign in the window.

Chris
JarMan (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
I have actually read that dust build up can cause things such as decorative plates or pictures that are hanging on walls to suddenly fall without any sort of explanation. There's a chance it could have been that since most people I know rarely take pictures off the walls to actually dust them.

The gust of wind could have been a lot of things. I mean honestly if it were winter, this is the time of year for cold spells and gusts of winds. Weather is like a living breathing creature and can come and go pretty much whenever it feels like it.

Whatever the case; I am interested to know if they still live there and if anything else of note has happened?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: