You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost In The Wind

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost In The Wind

 

I was about 11-12 years old. I used to live in Balaghat (a small town in MP state of India) with my mom dad and two elder siblings. My dad got transferred to another town (Rewa) as part of his job. So one of our family friends invited us for lunch before we depart.

On the day we all reached their home for lunch. As far as I remember it was an average size government bungalow with a big courtyard at the back adjoining the kitchen.

We kids were playing while the grown ups were busy chit chatting in the kitchen getting things ready at the same time.

Anyway after some time aunt (who invited us) asked all the children to sit in the courtyard while she and my mom serve us food. It was a very still summer day with minimal wind. I remember this because I asked my mom can't we sit inside under the ceiling fan as it's hot in courtyard not even windy to make it any pleasant, but anyway they decided on courtyard. I want to give some background on Indian weather here. We don't get sudden change of weather in a day. If the wind is still it does not turn into a storm the next moment unlike in some other countries.

So food was served to us children. The next moment before any of us can start eating there was a sudden gust of wind. It was so strong we could neither open our eyes nor get up. I remember firmly holding onto something with my closed eyes because the wind was so strong I feared I might get lifted in the air. Our parents who were somewhere between kitchen and courtyard tried to come to rescue us but they also had to close their eyes because the dust and little pebbles, dry leaves,everything flying all around getting into their eyes. This continued for couple of minutes.

Then suddenly it stopped. We all opened our eyes and were stunned for few seconds. What just happened? Then what we saw spoiled everyone's mood. Our face and bodies covered in dust including hair. Clothes dirtied. But the worst part we could not even identify the dishes on our plate. They were ruined. All we could see was dust and pebbles and leaves with little food scattered here and there.

We had eaten food in courtyard in our home as well several times in all seasons but never witnessed something like this. It's common practice in India to eat food in courtyard (called aangan in Hindi).

Then the aunt banged her head with her hand (Indian expression of frustrated repent). She told she forgot to first take out the plate of the lady ghost (she told name but I can't remember now) who resides there. Apparently she daily takes out the first plate for the lady ghost and if she forgets something happens due to which none in family can eat that food.

While we children went to freshen up she took out plate for ghost. Then seated us again in the very same courtyard and served food. This time there was no wind and we all enjoyed our meals.

Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, aartis, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Awoken (2 stories) (21 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-27)
All I can say is, I'm glad you shared this. I'm not surprised at all or disbelieving of your experience. I think maybe your grandmother was a little too friendly with whatever lived in the wind near her place, but other than that, I appreciate you posting.

This story is what brought me to this site. It's the first one I read because it was exactly what I was hoping to find.

Thanks again for sharing.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-10-18)
Really want to know more about the lady ghost residing there, I have heard people presenting first plate of food to the god but never heard about ghost. However I know there can be some spirit who asks some offering. Are you still in touch with your aunt? You can ask her.
aartis (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-12)
[at] veilofdarkness glad you liked my story and thanks for adding to your favorites.
veilofdarkness (8 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-12)
Aartis, there is something that feels just so simple and true about this story that I had to send it to my favorites. Thank you very much for sharing it with us.
aartis (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-09)
[at] talib yes you are right but I guess I was far too young to gather information about the lady ghost especially with my parents around. While my mom believes in paranormal she is not very impacted by its presence so I think she did not show much interest in collecting more info. But we all believed the aunt simply because we never witnessed something like this before.
How can I explain that wind? It's still fresh in my mind how it felt as if there was lot of anger in the wind. I know sounds weird but that's exactly how I felt.
talib (58 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-07-09)
That was a spooky experience. Giving food or sacrificing animals/birds to please the spirits or a deity is quite a common practice in India especially among Hindus.

You should have got some more information from the aunty about the lady ghost.
aartis (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-07-08)
[at] babygoatpuller yes I felt the same until aunt mentioned about the ghost lady. That's when we felt there is something paranormal about what happened. But you have a point here and maybe you are right.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-07-07)
Sounds just like a dust devil to me aartis. We get them here all the time. It can be a perfectly calm day and you'll see a vortex of dust and dirt flying through the air. It's a weather phenomenon and can just come out of the blue.

I think it's sweet that your aunt includes the lady ghost at mealtime. Maybe it was her, but it sounds like weather thing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: