You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Port Townsend Jail Cells

Real Ghost Stories

Port Townsend Jail Cells

 

When I was nine or ten, my family and I took a ferry to Port Townsend; we walked along the beach and eventually began to explore the town. One of the first places we came to was a courthouse and jail turned museum, a single lady running it. I remember it being empty except for us and the lady.

The first floor is the courtroom, go down a staircase and that lead to the jail cells downstairs. We looked around for a short while and then decided to go downstairs, as you are going down the stairs, the cells slowly come into your view, poised inside the cells were life like dummies positioned in various poses, if you don't expect to see them there you're going to be startled. Once we reached the cells, my mom saw two evil looking sprits inside the cells, one of them was an old lady shackled to the wall, with long shaggily hair, staring at her with an evil expression, a terror able grin with no teeth. The second was a man; she said "he was nasty looking". My mom later told me she wanted to bolt up the stairs right then.

My experience there was a lot tamer, my dad walked into the cells, to see what it was like. When he wanted me to come in, as I tried to walk towards the cells, it was like there was an invisible shield around the cells and it was preventing me being too close to them, at least that's what it felt like. Needless to say, we went to that museum again.

The lady in charge never mentioned any ghosts, either she never went downstairs, or if she did know, kept it a secret. We come didn't across any other ghosts in Port Townsend that I can recall. Thank you for reading.

Other hauntings by Artist1989

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Artist1989, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Artist1989 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Thank you for the comments.Nysa,yes that could have been what it was, after all these years I never thought of looking up that old jail 😕
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
Why don't I ever think to google things like that? By the 1880s jails were getting closer to what they are today so it seems less likely that it would be a place memory. Perhaps it is just how all of the negative energy of the place presented itself to your mother.
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
This is definitely up there on the creep-o-meter. Something about an evil old woman spirit has always given me the creeps. 😢
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
The jail was built in the 1800s according to a quick search I pulled up. It was in the 1880s that the first police department was established there, so I would assume the jail went up around that time.

Very creepy and interesting story, and I love reading about historical landmarks. Thanks for sharing!
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
interesting! I'm planning on going out that direction soon - I might have to stop and check that out. Thanks!
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Your description of the old lady apparition is so creepy. Do you happen to know how old the courthouse is?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: