You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: An Ipod Speaker Randomly Turns On

Real Ghost Stories

An Ipod Speaker Randomly Turns On

 

My wife and I have a small battery powered speaker on a shelf in our bathroom that we plug our iPods into during showers, baths, cleaning the bathroom, etc. It has suddenly started to turn itself on by itself. This is especially odd as the only way to turn it on is to turn the volume dial on the side. You know, like on the toy walkie talkies we all had as kids? You turn the dial until it clicks on, then turn the dial to raise the volume. It takes a wee bit of force as it meets with some resistance to make that first click.

Last night, around 7 or 8pm, my wife heard a weird hiss or whine coming from the bathroom. I found the source of the notice was the little speaker was turned on and the volume was slightly up. It seemed odd since there was no iPod in the room nor had either of us used the speaker in awhile. We shrugged and turned it off. Click.

My wife called me at work about an hour ago to say she went back into the bathroom and found the speaker was turned on again and the volume was slightly up again around the same level. Neither of us has touched it since last night. She hadn't left the house since we turned it off so it's not a neighbor with a key sneaking in to use our bathroom when we aren't around.

I don't know the mechanics of the power/volume dial so I don't know if there's a fault in the system (from age and usage) that might cause the dial to spontaneously slip. And the dial spins up towards the ceiling so it's not like the cat could step on it while exploring the shelf and accidentally turn it on. And the shelf isn't next to the light switch so it's not a case where we're accidentally turning it on while reaching past it.

Any thoughts or theories besides "Yup, it's a ghost"?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tuning4k, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Miami_girl_medium (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-02)
[at]Tuning4k I have always heard that spirits communicate through white noise. Myself I have never heard a spirit through white noise, I normally hear it with my own ears, but it could be quite possible. Mabye there is someone in your bathroom that wishes to speak to you, and mabye he/she/it only messes with that one speaker since its by your bedroom. Please keep us updated as to what happens!
[at] Argette LOL Steve Jobs having fun! That made me laugh I'm sorry.
Lexi [MGM] 😆 ❤
kamui (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-30)
have you tried any experiments on this, like putting this device in another place, securing the volume with a tape or disarming those batteries? If that speaker turns on again, [at] _ [at]
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-30)
Take it to an Ipod/Mac store, and ask them about your account.

Http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-30)
Tuning4k,
Take the batteries out and place the speaker in another room for a week. Preferably a room that is not prone to humidity. Then put NEW batteries in the unit and let it sit for a few more days.
Trust me.

Jav 😊
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-30)
Thanks, Hellhound (scary name you've got there) for enlightening us skeptics. I've had a few instances of electronics going on in my lifetime but never even considered it might be a "ghost."

If all the funny little incidents that happened if my life happened in one place and in a shorter period of time, I'd be terrified.

Life is so full of oddities.
Hellhound (2 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-30)
Actually I find it interesting that on this one post there are a few skeptics, being skeptic is a good thing but trust me a ghost communicating or playing through a speaker is maybe one of the most common ways ghost communicate.
Was it playing music or static?
As for "not s ghost" I'm not sure how electronics work as such lol,
I believe, if it's static noise, it could be evp
:)
thanks for your story:)
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
I had one of those and the same thing happened to mine. Come to find out I was not turning the dial all the way and therefore it would turn by itself. Don't know if this is what is happening with yours or not, but it doesn't hurt to make sure it is turned all the way off.

Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
I'm sorry; I do not wish to be negative, but there has to be a logical explanation for this. Vibrations? Air currents? I dunno...

If something else happens, please let us know. This is interesting.
Kat1704 (3 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
Well... I do think there is a ghost.
I would recomend a password for the ipod. I have a password on my ipod so nobody can get into it. If you have one there is little chance a ghost could crack it.

Good Luck! 😁
Tuning4k (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
We're checking the speaker every so often during the day but there hasn't been a third occurence yet.

Could a short actually cause the dial to spin? That's the one thing that raises my eyebrow. I can't see how the power dial could spin on its own.

We do have an identical speaker (bought at the same time) in another room but nothing strange has happened to that one (so far).
Davidpsalm234 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
Strange and creepy and I will probably discard the speaker... LOL I suggest you relocate the speaker and observe any recurrence. Besides this any unusual sign as this?
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
Steve Jobs having a little fun? I'm sorry - I could not resist. Must be some kind of short or a misfiring circuit.

Or there's a ghost in your bathroom who likes music or white noise.

I'm glad you shared this, though, because I believe something like this happens to most of us from time to time. And we need to know we are not the only ones it happens, too.

Have a great day!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: