You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Odd Dreams Turn Into Real Life Nightmare

Real Ghost Stories

Odd Dreams Turn Into Real Life Nightmare

 

This is sort of a continuation from my first experience. If you haven't read my first one please do, it might give you a better understanding of this experience, plus my next ones that I will put up. In Aug 2009, I just got back from a 7 month deployment to nowhere and anywhere. I was stationed at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton and just moved into my uncles house in Carlsbad, Ca.

My first week there was normal. I was caught up on sleep from being in the middle east and my internal clock was working just fine. I've been back in the US for a little over a month. My second week at the new house wasn't that great. I was always waking up at 3am or sometime in between 3am and 4am. I decided to drink Monsters and Red Bulls so I could crash when I stayed up. I still woke up at that time. I dealt with it by calling my wife, who was in Seattle and stayed on the phone with me until we woke up. (I know I know...awww...). But it seriously worked every time. I would call her at 3am or whenever I woke up or we would just sleep on the phone together and I would sleep right through.

The 3rd week of August (and this is when things get crazy). Monday, I am half awake half asleep, laying on my back, on my bed. Being in my drowsy state, I saw or had a dream of a high school version of me, in my wrestling sweats, standing at the foot of the bed. I said to myself, "This is going to be a F***** up night" and rolled over on my left side. Some time passed and I see a tiny little, bowl cut haired head. It was me when I was a toddler at the left side of the bed. Slowly the tiny hands reach up and then there's a little toddler me on top of the bed crawling towards me. I remember thinking, "S***, here we go". Before I knew it, little me is on top of me, eating my heart. At least that's what my last thought was before I sat up and looked around. I turned the light on, found my cell phone, called my wife back up and went to sleep. I just laughed it off and told all my buddies and we made jokes. I never put much more thought into it.

The second night, I was on the phone with my wife and passed out. I had a dream that I was at my family's old house in Seattle. It was a one story house in a cul de sac. I was messing around with my sisters when these 2 guys knocked on the door. Their eyes were glowing amber-ish red. I figured they were demons, inside of these 2 people. I asked them what they wanted and they said, "We want to eat your souls!". I laughed and told my older sister what they wanted and she started to fight them. I get into the fight and I pull out my knife and stab one in the back of the neck and twist it all around. All of a sudden, everything changes and everyone disappears. I'm in a new building, with metal stairs leading up to brick wall, with no door. I look around and see a boarded up window and a metal door. I open the door and I see the "demon people" with guns, patrolling the area. I hear an evil hiss and one comes charging at me. I take him out and take his gun. Oddly enough, a door appeared out of nowhere and I opened it to discover a kitchen, with 3 tables in the middle, and weapons stacked on the tables. I tried to sneak around but a demon man saw me and hissed at me, so I shoot him. I was then surrounded by more demon people, them shooting me and me shooting them, until I fell on the floor and started grabbing weapons off the tables. They jumped on me and I tried to shoot them all but they didn't die and neither did I. We all ran out of bullets and then they helped me up and we laughed. I woke up literally laughing. Told my wife and my buddies and once again, just laughed it off and joked around.

Wednesday night, I am in bed early because I am on the shooting range for the week and have to wake up at the butt crack of dawn. I slept early and didn't get to call my wife. I was up at 2:58am and I called my wife. We fall asleep on the phone. I'm laying on my stomach, with the phone on my left ear, as my head is facing left. My arms are above my head, underneath my pillow. I dream about an exorcism at a random house I've never been to, with people I've never met. All of sudden I hear, "GO GO GO"! And we all run downstairs in a garage and get into a double sliding door, white mini van. We drive away and the guy sitting next to me starts screaming like he's on fire. He's looking out through the rear window and I turn to look. I see this transparent green demon with an ugly hideous face, long sharp teeth and the only way to describe its hair is long and sharp. It was looking right at me, smiling.

I begin to wake up from this dream and I try to open my eyes. That's when I feel my sheets being pulled, my arms are pulled by the sheets, making my hands touch my head. My bed creaks. I feel something straddling my back. I feel the weight, and the bed sinks and creaks some more. It felt like someone was sitting on my back, with their knees digging into my lats. I can't move, open my eyes or scream. I can't do anything. I felt helpless and I would've cried but I couldn't. Then I heard my wife say something. And it goes away. I flip the light on grab my pistol and look. I look for something, someone or anything to cause them pain. I'm pissed and scared at the same time. But no one is there. Just me and my pistol. It was around 340am when "it" let me go.

I wake my wife up and tell her everything. We pray and we pray. (We are both Catholic, getting ready to be married in church, already married in court) I can't sleep, I refuse to. I go to my buddies house and tell him what happened. I sleep on his couch and go to work. I tell the rest of my buddies what happened, no one laughs, no one jokes.

I don't have sleep paralysis, so please don't mention it. I was fully awake when it happened. I don't have PTSD. Or any mental or emotional issues. I was 22 years old, and in the best physical shape as a US Marine can be, and is suppose to be. I didn't take drugs or was intoxicated by alcohol or any mind and body altering substances. Before those three days, I didn't watch any evil, demon, war movies or TV shows (but I did watch the Paranormal Activity movie a month later).

Hag, demon, pissed off spirit, or the ghost of a cowgirl-whatever it was, didn't mean well. And it wasn't done with me. I refer back to what happened to me when I was 15. Is it coming back?

Other hauntings by CrisDukes

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CrisDukes, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kat3cats (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-17)
"I see this transparent green demon with an ugly hideous face, long sharp teeth and the only way to describe its hair is long and sharp. It was looking right at me, smiling."

I have seen this, once, 30 years ago. I still remember the description, and nobody believed me. Horrible creature, whatever it was. It had the most terrible smile. 😨
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-11)
I, like many others as you can see, suspect PTSD and a bit of sleep paralysis (probably REM-deprivation induced due to so much caffeine -- See also: Narcolepsy, Cataplexy).

But all that aside, you may also be waging a spiritual war. Unequipped with the tools to wage that war, you imagine yourself with physical weapons instead.

Those are the worst dreams of all. I've never been to war. I've never been in the military. But I can tell you I've had terrible, terrible dreams of warfare. Of finding dead bodies. Of being pinned to the ground and tattooed with a dragon against my will. These dreams are scary as hell.

I've taken to a strange habit of occasionally drawing upon myself with the tree of life, or the star of david. Somehow, that seems to ward off these sorts of nightmares.

I very strongly second the opinion that you ought to see a priest. Get a group prayer. Prayer is supposed to be stronger with more people.

And though you may be Catholic, there is a Wiccan protective incantation that you may find helpful to you.

"The light of God surrounds us me.
The love of God enfolds me.
The power of God protects me.
The presence of God watches over me.
Wherever I am, God is.
And all is well."

Best of luck to you, and I look forward to future stories (or a future update to say there are no stories to tell!) Take care, man. You deserve a wonderful, blessed future.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-30)
[at] rook,
Glad you brought that fact to light. It's important that others are aware of these facts. Saving for an education is not getting it for free. And the way it's set up is not that much different than what some employers offer as part of your benefit package as a civilian.
I just hate to see that old mindset return. I was hoping those ghosts from the past had been scrubbed away. Obviously, there is still work to do 😢

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-30)
Jav,

The really sad part is the people who say that about the GI Bill have no clue that we put money into it... It works kind of like an investment... Xxx amount of dollars from you pay for xxx amount of time and when you get out you will have xxx amount of dollars for school. It's not a 'free handout' just because we were in the Service.

As Jav said, thanks for the feedback and I again thank you for your Service.

Respectfully,

Rook
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-30)
CrisDukes,
Thanks for getting back to us, it helps to know we didn't freak you out too much. We can (or I can) get a little screwy at times. 😆
What you said about the reaction you received going back to school, is much like what the Vietnam vets got when they came back, only a lot more. But that was one thing I had hoped was no longer an issue. I guess you just can't change a mind that's already wasted, huh? 😆
Thank you for your service.
Welcome home!

Jav ❤
CrisDukes (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-29)
Wow! I have been away from this site too long!

Javelina- There's no need to apologize! I totally understand! There are just some things I choose not to share. I am not ashamed of my service or any medical conditions or disabilities that I have. (Although I do wish the VA would process my claim!) The only time I felt out of place because of my service was when I was going to school and talking about the GI BILL to one of my teachers. Out of nowhere this kid turns around and says, "How lucky are you to do 4 years and go to school for free." It was more of the way he said it and his tone that made me feel like I didn't deserve it. Before I left it was still an issue at that school. Veterans are called leeches by some students and teachers. But that's life I guess.

Aussiedaz- Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Without giving away too much, it did get worse and prayer most times was too difficult.

Rookdygin- Thanks, I actually laughed when I read "Do you actually trust those screenings?" The answer, no not at all. But it feels like I should and it makes me feel comfortable. 😨 I'll look into Nurse Joyce Riley but mostly I am lucky to have another former Marine in my family to talk to. Your 2nd comment actually makes a lot of sense. I read a book called "On Killing" about the psychological effects of taking the life of a fellow man and how the military prepares their troops to do it. It is very hard to transition from that life, and that mentality to the type of life I have now, as a full time stay at home dad! I have been out for a year now and the person who has helped me deal with the transition the most is my daughter, she's 14 months.

H2olily- Ever since that night I have been more in tune with my faith. I used to open up the bible to a random page and a random verse whenever I was upset and it always seemed to comfort me, I haven't done that in years. Thank you for your prayers.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to read and comment on my experience. I feel every comment is helpful and for you all to even take 30 seconds to type out a sentence is very caring and thoughtful. I don't know why most people are on here, I know everyone has different reasons and experiences. But I believe we are all on here for a reason, no matter what you believe in, God or no God, Buddha, Alla, or aliens, we are all here sharing our experiences (presumably for the better). Thanks again!
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-23)
Sounds like a demonic spirit. There is probably some kind of demonic stronghold in the house or maybe that block/neighborhood, or area. Since you are a Believer, Cris, read your Bible, pray for guidance/discernment about what jurisdiction or rights a spirit would have to physically interfere with you and your dream life and then you should prayerfully rescind or revoke said rights. Use a biblical concordance to find verses that apply to your protection/safety and read them before praying nightly. Also, maybe leave an open Bible on your nightstand. Will keep you, your wife and the Armed Forces in my prayers. Oh, and thanks for your service!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-23)
CrisDukes,

I had another thought concerning this... You trained hard, very hard in case your unit saw action while you were deployed, you trained for the worse case senario type fire fights, one on one against the enemy.

After all that 'if' your tour overseas proved to be...uneventful...and you returned home without seeing 'action' was there a period before your transition out of the service that they trained you for life as a civilian? I am not refering to the standard transition class where they teach you how to write a good resume, Job Search web sites and possible schools you can go to for a degree. I'm asking did they train you how to NOT be ready for that firefight, how NOT to worry about every little sound. I ask because from the sound for your dreams you are 'FIGHTING' battles and firefights you never fought. You describe your opposition in your dreams as 'demon' people... Think of your training... You were trained to see the enemy, not as people, not as indivduals but as something that needs to be killed. This manifests in your dreams as 'demon people'. Hell without you describing them I'll guess the 'brick walls' and metal stairs you see in these dreams are 'mud brick' the color of sand and older rusty fire escape type stairs... Like the ones you saw 'in country'.

I may be off base with this but IN MY OPINION you are fighting the 'battles' you never got to fight during your deployment. This can be a form of stress... You were trained to fight and kill if need be... It never happened... You didn't see any combat and you were never trained to think like a real civilain again. Just some more things to consider.

Respectfully,

Rook
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
CrisDukes,
Yeah, it's loud mouth me again. I came back to apologize for that second comment I left. I was way out of line and I had no right making any judgement on you. You can go right ahead and holler at me if you like, I deserve it.
That being said, I still stand by my first comment. I would like to add to it that I do think you are experiencing paranormal activity. Just what it is, I haven't got a clue. I do know that a demonic type haunting is the rarest of all hauntings. I honestly do not see this as demonic, but that is just my opinion.

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
CrisDukes,

I thank you for your service. 'Ya Jar headed Fool' 😲 (Sorry had to, I'm a 20 Navy Retired Vet myself) I do sincerely thank you for your Service.

As far as these experiences and dreams go they seem to be happening either when you are sleeping as 'true dreams' or when you are in that state between waking and sleeping and are more than likely of the realm of true dreams. You have said that you were screened for PTSD before being separated... Do you actually trust that screening? I ask because it can sometimes take months or even years before something 'triggers' it. I served from Nov 1986 to Dec 2006 and I ensured every little thing was documented upon my departure... Then I went and registered with the VA... They ran my 'paperwork' and based on what was in my medical records I got more of a disability percentage than expected... So just because they said you were goo to go at the time doesn't mean something hasn't happened to 'trigger' well... Stress related dreams/nightmares.

All that aside you may want to speak to someone about another evaluation... You may want to review your deployment times, review any 'action' you may have been involved with and do a 'time conversion' to stateside time and see if anything correlates...

I will go back and read your other experience but I 'feel' this may have more to due with your time in service than you feel it does. You may wish to look up Nurse Joyce Riley who is not only a registered Nurse but a talk show host and Veterans Advocate.

I wish you the best, please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
Darklyman (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
The demon said it was coming back, this must be when its coming back... Mayby you can get in touch with Justin or that Navy guy
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
CrisDukes,
The date you gave for when you returned stateside was at a time of non-military conflict. Yet this fact is curiously unmentioned in your account. I am not trying to suggest anything here by bringing that fact to the surface. But it does concern me that you may be leading others to believe you were serving during war time. If I am mistaken, and you served during conflict, please enlighten me. Because right now I am confused about why this has not been mentioned as a very good reason for not suffering PTSD.
I apologize for being so picky, but I am also a veteran. I served my country proudly during a time of no war. Just sayin'.

Jav
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
Interesting story mate and I too have had a similar account to yours and perhaps making a comparison will give you a different perspective in drawing your own conclusions... I make a note at the part where you started laughing and confronted these demons to a point where the whole dream just changed it's complexion?...I had a similar experience under attack by something and found myself laughing and bemused about what was going on and to my surprise, the attack seem to loose it's power and grip over me just as quick as you can say "Bob's your uncle" pretty much the same as in your story?...OK!.so here's what I'm thinking!... If it was a real demon, or a separate entity with real force to harm, laughing at it should have made it madder? Not chuck the towel in right?... The fact that for both of us, it dissolved or changed brings me to the conclusion that it was mind over matter... What ever sub consciously brought the dream/attack on, was empowered by a stronger state of consciousness or desire to take control...OK, the pinning down on the bed, or the feelings of being trapped or squashed is another progression to our sub conscious and a whole new step up in game for us to confront... Although on a couple of occasions earlier on in my years, I was unable to snap out of it using mind over matter, what I can tell you... That these experiences that some people call sleep paralysis will dissolve just the same way as your dream did providing you can find a way to confront it and take back control... I think it's probably not fair to call them full on hallucinations, I can understand you resenting people brushing of your account as a bad dream or S/P...I think our spiritual consciousness has many complexities of it's own nature and when a person has one of these accounts, I feel they probably are more paranormal in my opinion, but not in the way as people may think.

Regards Daz
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
CrisDukes,
Welcome home.
Now you are most likely going to get really pissed at me, but that's fine. I can take it. I have to tell you that I have spent a good part of 25 years volunteering my time working with Viet Nam Vets. I am not any type of professional anything, as far as schooling goes. But I have a whole lot of years in the school of hard knocks, and I cannot believe you are saying that NONE of this can be attributed to PTSD. I'm not saying the whole thing is a result of it, but I'm thinking there might be a trigger here for what is going on. And that trigger could be PTSD. From your words and attitude about it, you make it sound like it's something to be ashamed of. I have some very close and dear friends that went through some pretty wicked a** sh** in Nam. They are proud of their service and their contribution to the effort. These are MEN. Big guys, who take no crap from anyone. The kind of people you want covering your back when you need to know you can trust who's doing it. I know one guy who spent 6 months in a tiger cage over there, and escaped. Another who survived Hamburger Hill. Another who spent two tours as a medic, in the Ashau Valley! You can't scare these S,O,B.'s! You can't sneak up on them! And you damn sure cannot tell them they don't suffer from some form of PTSD. I've heard some of their nightmares, trust me, they have some wicked, twisted crap going on in those heads, but I would trust each one of them with my life. So you can deny the sleep paralysis, and the PTSD all you want, but there is no professional out there that will tell you that you won't suffer from it in the future. I don't know where you got that idea, but you are sorely mistaken. It's real. Stronger people suffer more often from it than most. I don't know you, you don't know me. You may never suffer from it, who knows? But to outright deny it as a possible trigger for these episodes, without further diagnosis that includes being totally honest with your doctor about these things, is just playing with fire in my book. Sorry about my attitude and long speech, but those guys don't deserve that stigma. Like I said in the beginning, your attitude and words make it sound as if you think PTSD is something to be denied, or ashamed of, and I tend to get a little worked up over that. Sorry.

Jav
Tiffanyj (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
I'd say the dreams are just a result of the stresses you encountered overseas, just a way for your body to process the thoughts you suppressed while over there. They should subside over time, I wouldn't be too worried about it.
sunset_savage (17 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
Well since PTSD is ruled out (very happy to hear that) the symbolism of the dreams themselves could be a hint.
Your heart being eaten, something threatening to eat your soul, seems to indicate a feeling of something missing in your life. Your wife is pretty obviously the center of your world, could the nightmares be caused by the emotional stress of not being with her?
CrisDukes (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
Hello everybody, thank you for reading!

I know dreams are random and anything can happen in them. Ever since the "demon dream" I have had more dreams like that until recently.

Nysa- I know I was awake because my phone was still on my ear and I heard my wife say something like "Noo". I know I was awake, I just know it!

Aya22- Semper Fi! I know this might sound bad, but I wasn't stressed at all, especially about getting married, again. I kind of just... Showed up to the wedding! I will admit that I had a "rough" experience on that deployment but I have never really held onto things like that. Before I left the Marines, I went through a PTSD screening and I turned out just fine, I think! 😜

Sunset_savage- I haven't talked to any sleep paralysis experts but I would like to and it is mandatory to go through PTSD screenings after deployments and before you get out of the Marines. Things got a lot worse after, especially around my wife and after we got married. These experiences happened in Carlsbad, Ca and in Seattle, Wa. I was surprised it happened in Seattle because my in-law's house is super blessed and they pray the Rosary more times a day than I have in my life. I spoke to a priest that was a Navy Corpsmen (a Marine's medic) in Vietnam. I told him of my experiences and he said, "Rule out PTSD. And when you do, believe that you and your wife have a very special spiritual bond, and that there are things out there that don't want either of you to be close to God." Then he lectured me on how Marines never pray and that I should have a beer with God and relax...? I would like to mention more but that's for my next one! 😁

Thank you all again for taking the time to read and comment on my experience. This is still just my second one and I will try to combine all of my experiences for a third and at most a fourth post. If anyone would like further clarification, please don't hesitate to PM and ask!
rath9375 (1 stories) (52 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
I wish I had an answer for you. I do however want to thank you for your service and commend your wife for being such a wonderful support to you.
aya22 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
First, thank you for serving. My husband is in the Marines as well. 😊

Indeed, dreams can be messages from our subconscious like Nysa said. Adding to this, there's a part of me that believes the connection dreams create between our conscious and subconscious can open up our understanding of the world around us, and can in fact be very real at times and have great meaning for us. I speak from experience, I recently tried to submit a story involving my own "dreams" but it got rejected. Lol, oh well I say! You recently came back from deployment and are planning getting married within the Catholic church. Could you feel that any experiences you had while being deployed/or trying to get married within a church has anything to do with these dreams? It seems you've been going through a lot of change within the last few years, could all of this be sparking some kind of spiritual awareness in you?
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
Dreams are messages from our subconscious, you seem to be struggling with issues from your past as well as spiritual issues. I don't think you were awake when you felt attacked. We often dream that we have awoken, sometimes even gone about starting our day, but it was all part of our dream. You say you woke your wife to tell her what happened, which suggests she did not speak a moment before to break the attack. You mention that you are Catholic, since your dreams show strong spiritual elements as well as psychological ones, I think your best bet is to find a psychologist or therapist who is also a Catholic priest. There are plenty of them & your church should be able to put you in contact.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
While I'm one to lean towards any and all possibilities before believing in the supernatural, I'd like to believe you about the pressure you felt that one night.
First off, thank you for serving our nation and I'm sure that being in the mid-east was no picnic (that's probably even a severe understatement).
I'm not sure what the spirit could be, if it's a continuation of the haunting you experienced before. Either way, I highly suggest smudging or having your house blessed. This may help.
I'm unsure of what to say about the dreams though, but their similarities could be the result of stress or even of what you may have experienced overseas (though I realize I can't speak for what you may have experienced).
Though, when I was just out of college, I had a dream where I was part of an anti-terrorist squad in an airport. I was dodging bullets from machine guns and snipers and shooting at terrorists (one of whom looked like an old classmate). Eventually, I found out that the airport building I was in was rigged for explosion and we couldn't stop it. I hid at the end of a white corridor where there were two doors, both locked. I sat and waited, heard the boom and felt the tremors. I closed my eyes but opened them in time to see the flames surround me. I couldn't wake up and had the strong feeling that I burned away. Of course, I woke up, but it was shocking nonetheless. And, at the time, I'm a 23 year old girl with no military or violent history. So where did that come from? We all have strange dreams.
But I do hope that things get better for you. It sounds like your wife gives you a lot of support, and I'll pray that, with her help, you're soon able to ward off this menace. ❤
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
I'd recommend laying off of the Red Bulls and Monster drinks.

Why? Because massive infusions of caffeine can cause hallucinations.

Http://www.cracked.com/article_16178_7-common-foods-that-can-actually-get-you-high.html

#1 on the list- Coffe/caffeine.
sunset_savage (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like text book sleep paralysis, whether you want it mentioned or not. Isolated sleep paralysis events do occur. The series of nightmares could be related to PTSD, so unless you've talked to a professional and thoroughly ruled it out as possible you should still consider PTSD. Ultimately though its your experiences, your life, your call, and it appears you've called it. Maybe speak to a priest for a blessing for the home you're staying in. Work with what you believe, but remember that religious provocation only works on demons. If you get a blessing and nothing changes, your problem is most likely the result of natural causes.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: