You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Events In Thailand

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Events In Thailand

 

In September 2005, I was studying at Derby University for a BA Degree in Tourism, as part of my dissertation I was looking into the effects of the tsunami and the socio-economic impact on the area of Krabi in Thailand (a popular tourist destination.)

I had a close relationship with a Thai family, who previously lived in the UK, and it was arranged for me to go and stay with them. Jon the father of the family was English, and Dum was the mother of the family; she was Thai. They had two children; a girl (lets call her Cassie, for the sake of this account) and a boy called Freddie (just for this account.) Cassie would have been around 5 at the time and Freddie was about two and a half.

On arrival to Thailand I was greeted at the air port by the whole family, and Cassie presented me with a small garland of flowers, which I thought was really sweet. I was absolutely exhausted from traveling and do not remember the journey to their home very well. I remember it was about 4pm in the afternoon when I arrived at their bungalow and I had to excuse myself to go to bed.

During the night I woke up (I do not know what time this was, but I was feeling very uneasy, almost like I was being watched.) The net curtains in the room were swaying frantically, and I remember a real feeling of sadness, usually this would stop me from sleeping, but I was so sleepy I just drifted back to sleep.

The next morning I woke up feeling much better after some rest and was able to get a proper catch up with my friends, who I had not seen for almost three years. Dum asked me how I had slept and I announced I had slept really well (not wanting to let her know how uneasy the feeling was in the room.) I thought nothing of this and got showered and ready to spend the day with Dum, whilst Jon stayed home and looked after the children.

In my room I had lots of sweets and presents for the children which were on my bed, I was planning to give them to them later in the day.

Around 3:30pm I arrived back at the bungalow with Dum, and Jon was sitting outside on the porch, he had a very worried expression on his face and asked to speak with myself and Dum alone.

He said that he had caught the children messing around in my room, (trying to eat the sweets etc) so he had locked the door, only later he noticed they were still hovering around the door trying to unlock it and talking to something in the room. Cassie informed him that someone was in there and she needed to go and check and see if they were ok. (Jon thinking this was just a ploy to get at the sweets told them to go and play somewhere else and behave).

About an hour before we came home he said he was sitting on the porch when he heard in a low voice say "Cassie come here," this came from the room where I was staying. Cassie had come outside and asked her dad who had called her, which had alarmed Jon as he had also heard it.

Jon was not the kind of man to be shaken up by things like this, however there was no way anyone could have been behind the bungalow at the time or gotten into the room without Jon seeing, as the passage way behind is blocked up and the room was locked.

The other strange thing about it was that the voice was speaking in English and the bungalow where they were renting was in a residential area predominantly Thai.

He said the voice he had heard radiated through the house, the children thought it came from my bedroom, but when we went in and spoke, even loudly noting could be heard from the front porch.

Dum being a Buddhist and also a believer in ghosts called to arrange for local monks to come and bless the house, believing that something was very wrong indeed. We all packed our bags and went to stay in a near by hotel for the night. Jon and Dum contacted the people who they were renting the bungalow off that evening to relay events only to find out that it had previously been owned by and English family with two daughters, one of which had passed away in the Tsunami and the parents had returned to England without managing to find the body.

Dum and Jon also admitted to me that both Cassie and Freddie would not settle in that room, which is why they were sleeping in the small room together instead of separate rooms.

The next day the monks came to bless the house, and left a string of orange rope around for protection and also brought a 'Spirit house' which is what many Buddhists have in their homes to look after the spirits.

I did not actually stay in the bungalow again after that night, as I felt very uneasy; I chose to stay in hotels as they were very reasonably priced. Dum and Jon have since moved back to the UK and the children are much older. We never spoke about what happened again.

Other hauntings by LondonLady

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LondonLady, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fenrispro (58 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-03-09)
Thailand has many dark spirits, someone also told me even their movies are hexed to raise viewership. So scary I wouldn go
embalmer8 (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-27)
Hi LondonLady, I was pleased when I read your story of the Thailand ghosts because the same thing happened to me. I went to Thailand following the Tsunami as part of a search and recovery team. We took the victims to a site on temple grounds were the monk blessed us and gave us charms to protect us. Many of the search teams reported seeing ghosts walking amongst the bodies. I was woken during the night by the sense that somebody was in my room (which was on the beach front). I didn't dare turn around to see who was there but I seemed to instinctively know that it was an elderly Thai man and standing just behind him was a lady. A feeling of desperation filled the room and I was certain that if I turned around they would be standing there. I clenched the necklet that I had been given by the the monk and the feeling slowly faded. I took photographs of the room a couple of days later and there is a swirling mist in the spot where the spirits had been standing. Although I didn't physically look and see them, I just knew they were there. Thanks for sharing your story!
Curiousgirl19 (1 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-11-27)
You never want to go to Thailand the whole entire country is haunted with spirits that are really scary they sometimes look like the grudge 0_0 😭 😭 😭
mlbenson (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-14)
Interesting story. Gave me the creeps! I too wonder if the voice was male or female. Anyhow, thanks for sharing.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
London Lady,
It was the least I could do. You should have seen my mother's face when I told her I was going. I actually got the plane tickets before I told her because I knew she would have found a way to make me stay because she was afraid that I was going to get killed in the civil war. She still hasn't forgiven me for that... Oh well!

As for you experience, I don't know about you but I think you are better person because of that experience. I think as a kid, the fear in you was able to help block many of the incidents but as we grow older I think we are more curious than fearful.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Hi LondonLady, I feel so sorry for the people who lost their daughter as well as everyone else who lost their loved ones during that horrible tsunami. I feel the same as Miracles and think that due to the vast amount lives lost it is hard to determine if the voice heard was that little girls. This is the first time I have ever heard of spirit houses and that they are used to protect lingering spirits. I think that is a really nice thing to do. I'm going to look more into them. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Thank you for sharing this experience! I agree with the others; I enjoy hearing stories from around the world and from the perspectives of different cultures. It is so easy to be trapped inside a little shell of protective comforts and never know anything of the outside world, but this site offers us the rare opportunity to get a taste of it without even having to leave our homes (or work places, if ya'll are bad like me 😉)

I do also like the theory that the sadness you experienced may have been the daughter. As for the anger in the voice that called Cassie, it may have been that same daughter expressing her regret for not listening to her own parents, and missing them deeply. She may have taken her sadness and regret out on Cassie because she never had the chance to say goodbye. Either way, I hope the poor soul whose sadness lingered in that room has moved on.
LondonLady (2 stories) (11 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Thank you, it was a very bleak time out there for many local people, everyone had lost somebody close to them, and very few people wanted to talk about it (the Thai population were scared of what had happened to them and their loved ones.) There was much reconstruction work happening along the coastal areas and many people were volunteering like yourself (I think its amazing that people like you give your time freely to help others in less fortunate circumstances.)

I guess I shall never know exactly what happened that night/day, however if I had not been so sleepy I may have remembered or noticed more. I have always been very switched off to anything spiritually and have been a bit of a 'sceptic' all my life, however the older I am getting the stranger things and experiences around me keep getting, which makes it hard to stay switched off to such possibilities. ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
First of all, welcome to the site. This is a great place to meet with new people around the world and learn from each other.

Secondly, thank you for you story. Like the others, I think when you were in that room and felt the sadness, it was probably the young girl who died in the tsunami. I think she couldn't move on because her body was never found and she is probably still looking for her parents.

As for the angry voice, my only guess is that it could be a relative belonging to your friends who got bad because the kids went into the room without your permission.

As for the tsunami, a group of friends and I took a semester off of college to go volunteer in Sri Lanka though one of my friend's church group. Although it was gratifying to help the people there, it was heart breaking to see what these families were going though. There were times where I felt helpless.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
I feel sad for the family that lost their child. 😢 Thank you for sharing though. It reminded me that for sometime I've been wanting to make a spirit house for my backyard. 😊 That really is a great concept.
LondonLady (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Miracles51031 - thank you, I think you may well be right, I do not think something that had such a harsh feeling could have been a child (although I have never thought too much into it until recently.) I this was very much an isolated incident which took place a long time ago now. (it was the first time in my life, anything had disturbed me in any way). In July this year I moved to London (from the country) and have had several unsettling experiences (all in different places) which in time I want to write accounts of. I found this site whilst researching into my experiences, and decided it would be a good idea to start by writing my first account/experience with anything other worldly.

Shenny- I have never thought of it like this, especially as it was so far away from home. In answer to your question, yes my grandmother who passed away many years ago now died of alcoholism, she was a very tormented lady, she drank a lot of whiskey, which got worse after my grandfather died, (I think she was very lonely, despite my mum and uncle always trying to help her and being around) She was a very wealthy lady, and I know my mum was never close to her. (but all said and done I was very young when she died and am not sure I would relate it to this event?)
Shenny (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
I get a strong feeling the spirit was connected to you in some way which would explain why the spirit spoke in English. Do you recall having a grandparent who was loud, angry or demanding that has passed over?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
LondonLady - what a sad story. With the tragedy of the Tsunami, I wouldn't automatically assume that the voice belonged to the little girl. Who knows how many others lost loved ones and never recovered their bodies. This is just my opinion, but I would think if it had been the little girl in your room that day, Cassie would have mentioned she heard a little girl's voice. It just doesn't seem as if this was the little girl's spirit in that room. I'm really glad you decided to stay in a hotel.

By the way, you mentioned that you got a feeling of real sadness when you were at Jon and Dum's home. Had you ever felt that before, or since, or was that an isolated experience?
LondonLady (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-12)
Thank you, I have to be honest I really do not remember, it was all so long ago now, all Jon told us was that it was loud, and angry sounding (almost demanding) in its tone.

I have not seen the family for a couple of years now, however they are living in the UK again.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-11)
That was a really interesting story. Thank you for sharing that with us. Is there any accounts to if the voice sounded female or male?

Once again thank you for sharing the story.

Peace
JustCurious

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: