You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Christmas Gift

Real Ghost Stories

The Christmas Gift

 

Thanks to all who commented on my experience with the ghostly black cat I used to talk to on the stairs when I was a small child at my family's big old house. I have been waiting to post the next installment, but until now this site has been down most of the time and not accepting new info. Hope this gets through!

This happened at the same Edwardian house in the UK, which was built by my great-grandfather in 1901. At this point there were only three of us living there, my parents and me. Over the years, I had experienced hearing my name called in my bedroom at night, and hearing the sound of someone sleep-breathing coming from my parents' bedroom, while they were still awake downstairs, and I was supposed to be sleeping! Although I never told them about this, because I did not think they would believe me, this scared me so much that I seriously asked to be allowed to sleep in a tent in the back garden.

Needless to say, they just thought I was nuts and said no.

At no point while I lived there did anyone ever mention ghosts or the supernatural to me. In fact, my mother did not disclose her own feelings and experiences about the house until after I had moved out when I was in my 20s.

Back to the subject of this incident. It was Christmas Eve, and I was about nine or ten years old. In the UK at that time, all children used to leave an empty pillowcase at the the bottom of the bed, hoping that Santa would come in the night to fill it with gifts.

Like most children, I did not stay asleep much beyond 1am, too excited to wait any longer. I woke up, switched on my bedside lamp, and saw the full pillowcase at the foot of the bed.

Just beyond it, near the window, was an old chair, and on it I could see a package, about the size of a shoe box, wrapped in brown paper with string around it. I though this looked very boring and was more concerned with opening the brightly wrapped gifts nearest to me in the pillowcase.

When I had opened them all, I suddenly remembered the brown parcel on the chair and went to open it. But it was not there.

Other hauntings by netnix0

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, netnix0, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-16)
Suger Mice... Need to find a recipe for them, sounds yummy... It also remeinds me of one of my all time fav songs, by a band called Marillon... Song title you ask? 'Suger Mice' of course... 😉

Happy Christmas everybody.

Respectfully,

Rook
aya22 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-16)
taz, granny, LOL!
They look ADORABLE! But we don't have kids yet, only nieces and nephews... And I'm sure their parents would hate me if I made these. 😆
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
zzsgranny thank you love you back 😁
Be warned! As cute as they look make em small, the sugar rush off one of these things hits hard lol
Enjoy making them granny and I surgest giving them to any grandkids you have, get your own back on all the little bits of "fun" your own kids gave you when they were growing up lol
Or really get your own back and make em life size!
Just a thought 😆
Carl ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
Taz: When's the last time I said I love you?...You know, I just had to Google sugar mice... And found a few recipes for them, so I'm gonn'a give it try...They're so cute! 😆
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
aya22 just what it says, sugar mixed with a setting agent then shaped into a mouse shape that was like it was laying flat to the floor. We used to get them and small oranges in the bottom of the "sack" (pillow case) as my mum used to get the same when she was young.

And every year there were kids every where on such a sugar rush it was manic, I grew up in a house with 5 brothers and one sister so christmas morning 7 kids on sugar fix was fun to say the least.
aya22 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-12)
I LOVE this (too)! I really love these kind of stories, lol, even more so because of the time of year. I'm a total cheese-ball for Christmas. If only you had opened the brown one first... Hmmm? ❤

Carl, I've got to ask. What are sugar mice? 😳
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-12)
LOVE IT!
Firstly thanks for the memories, many a year I have slept without a pillow case on my pillow my brothers too.
Got to ask did you get the sugar mice in the bottom too?
Anyway I do think you might be right with the time slip idea, you seeing a gift from the past, as I know from my nan that when she was a little girl they got one present left by "santa" in their rooms to open before breakfast then the rest after dinner time so it could be exactly that.
Great post thanks for sharing
Carl
netnix0 (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-12)
Hi Darkness and Argette, thanks for your comments. I really think that this may have been a time slip experience, and I was looking back briefly to a previous Christmas gift that would have been there in that room in my grandfather's day. But yes... I do wish I had gone to open it first! Fascinating...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-12)
Wow definitely differant to most of the stories we read here, I enjoyed this one. Kind of makes you think what would have happened if you went to open the brown one first, doesn't it. I bet this has played with your head for a while, it seems as though someone who was fond of you may have wanted to give you a gift perhaps, does this make any sense to you?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-10)
There's a lesson in that story, Netnix, but one we seldom learn until we've grown up a bit. Thank you for sharing it! What a nice surprise to wake up on a Saturday and start the day with a story like this. I will speculate all day long...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: