You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man In The Graveyard

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In The Graveyard

 

Like many of you on here I have also seen weird things since I was a little kid. The two that stick out the most happened in the same area when I was living in Portland Oregon with my parents, and my little sister. We lived in a pretty old neighbourhood. I remember the road was not even a paved one. It was a dirt road. The house we lived in was also very very small and tiny! We lived by 2 graveyards. One was newer and kept clean. The other one was older and not really taken care of as well. We always liked to go and take walks or play in the graveyard. We were never disrespectful, we went for walks, looked around at how old the graves dated back, we used to have scavenger hunts too. My mom would put together a list of things to find, a certain name on a grave, a date, a bug, and things like that. We were kind of weird kids enjoying playing in the graveyard instead of playing house at home.

One night we were having one of those scavenger hunts with a few friends. I was about...9. I remember we were all running around trying to find things off of our list. I remember it was night time because we all had flash lights. Me and one of my friends were looking for a specific name when I looked up, and a little way away from where we were there was little clearing. I saw a man standing there looking over at us. He was wearing a long black coat, and a top hat. I pointed to him and asked my friend if she saw him, she looked, and then looked back at me like I was crazy and said no. When I looked back over at him he was gone.

In that same house about the same age, me and my sister shared a room. I was about 9 and she was like... 6 I think. We had bunk beds! One night I woke up suddenly, and looked over across my bedroom... There was a man who was kind of... In like a squat position sitting by the wall staring at me. I remember he really really scared me. He had a weird smile on his face. Just staring at me. He was wearing... The closest thing I can come up with is what the Newsies used to wear back in the day. He had that style of a hat on too. I threw off my covers, and ran out of the room to my parent's room. I remember still seeing him in the corner of my eye as I was running out. I went and told my parents that there was "A monster" in my room...that's how I said it monster. They went with me to go look, and he was gone. There was no way someone could have come through any window. I remember all our windows were covered with thick plastic to keep the rooms warmer. That would have gotten in the way of anybody trying to get through a window. They kept the rest of the house really locked up at night.

I don't really like to share my stories with my friends, because I don't think one of them believes them. People see weird stuff all the time, and until you personally see something for yourself... Who knows what to believe?

Other hauntings by tayperk23

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tayperk23, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
Beloveds, we are here to share. We are here to support one another. We are here to try to make sense of unexplainable situations. Let us proceed to do so.

Typerk, I believe what you experienced. I too experienced something simular, as a small child.
The fact that you lived by two graveyards, and played there regularly, probably attracted some of the residents there. Hence, your night time visitor.

Great story and thank you so much for sharing. ❤
tayperk23 (3 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
Wow lol uh thanks for all the comments guys 😊
Moongrim. Thank you for your input. I understand what you are talking about. I too think that it's ok for everyone to have a different opinion. Not really sure how the subject of religion came up...

Rookdygin. The "Newsie" reference was only used because of the style of clothes they wore back then. It was the only way I could think of to describe it. Yes of coarse it's possible that it was a dream. I have never experienced anything like that before in my life... Never woken up and seen something that clear right in front of me. I posted this experience because I still do not understand what that was that I saw in my room, and wanted to know other's opinions. The year... Would have been 1995 or 96... Around there. Thanks for your comment:-)

Lsandhu. Thank you for your comment:-) I agree with you about how children seem to experience seeing spirits more often.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
Dear tayperk23,
I'm sorry your post got hijacked by a pointless argument. This is not a site for discussing or arguing about religion. On the subject of the things you saw as a child, I believe people leave behind an energy when they die that hopefully is just a residual energy and not the person's soul that has failed to go wherever it is we are supposed to go. I also believe children are among those who are attuned to see this residual energy. Furthermore, some places are more likely to attract such energy, and it's not a stretch to include cemeteries among these places, although personally I think places where people have lived and died are more likely to contain their energy, as opposed to places where their already lifeless bodies are taken. For what it's worth, I believe you experienced something beyond the ordinary human experience, and it's too bad you don't have a close friend to share your experiences with. Perhaps you should consider finding some new friends who are more receptive to your experiences. Real friends should be supportive, no matter what their personal beliefs.
Mabs_Sith_Lord (72 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
Hi all,

Just want to clarify something in relation to Moongrim's point; Muslim's do NOT worship the Prophet Muhammad, on the contrary Muhammad's teachings were purely monotheistic, no where did he state 'worship me'. Indeed, if there are any cases of any Muslim's worshipping Muhammad, then according to the teachings of the Qur'an and Muhammad himself - they are out of the fold of Islam. And have commited a sin, because only God has the right to be worshipped, not a 'hundred other deities'.

Hope that clarifies things.
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
Dear Moongrim I feel I have to make something clear to you I am a Muslim & American, I have been Muslim sense 1981 we do not worship the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) We worship ONE GOD ALLAH. WE respect the Prophet's all of them peace be upon them and the one you mention to us was the final prophet they were men and no Muslim prays or bows down to man but we respect their teachings and examples. I was under the understanding that this is a sight for sharing paranormal true stories?. Please if you must mention other peoples beliefs please get your facts strait so as not to misinform anyone or offend and I don't see how you comment had anything to do with the story.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
510mot,

I found most of his comment very well written and thought out. However the part about about 'Eastern Religions' seemed (to me) out of place and unrelated to anything so I question the 'why' of that particular comment...

As far as the 'lack of Humility' comment goes... You are right it's an opinion... I question the need to have published that particular opinion... As it to had no bearing on the O/P's experience and served no purpose other than as a 'dig' at people. It's no secret that Moongrim and I do not see 'eye to eye'...however I felt they made a valid point, said as much then questioned the 'extra' material as it seems unwarranted and detracts from the good points that had been made. I realize I should 'know better' but I can't help myself sometimes.

Pardon the Interruption.

Respectfully,

Rook
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
Erm...Okay.While I have seen some rather rude remarks made by Moongrim concerning peoples faith,i.e. " spiritual superhero" etc... I found this post a bit refreshing. He stated his opinions about the subject in a logical manner and I think I can see where he is coming from. I can relate to this a lot better. I guess all I am saying is that I appreciate this approach and would like to see it more. As for the lack of humility statement, I think he is entitled to his opinion as much anyone. I know I've mine.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-21)
Moongrim makes an interesting point concerning Pareidolia. Enough so that I want to ask a question or two concerning this 'person' you saw in your bed room.

You described the man like this...

"There was a man who was kind of... In like a squat position sitting by the wall staring at me. I remember he really really scared me. He had a weird smile on his face. Just staring at me. He was wearing... The closest thing I can come up with is what the Newsies used to wear back in the day. He had that style of a hat on too."

I didn't understand your 'Newsies' reference so I 'googled' it and found out it was a movie and may become a Broadway play. It's about the people who sold news papers in the 1920's. Now my question... Why describe his style of dress as Newsie? It's not a 'common' term. You said this happened when you were 9 may I ask what year that was? Again the fact that Newsie's leads to a 1992 Disney musical when a search is conducted makes me wonder if 'dream' and 'reality' didn't somehow mix to cause this experience.

Having said that I can now turn to something else... I apologize in advance for the hijack...

Moongrim,

Feel better now? I ask because you took something that started as a good comment / valid point and turned it into a Rant against Religion and even tossed in a 'poke' at some of the long term members here on the site.

Is there are reason you are so 'bitter'? If you feel so 'down' concerning the Experiences and or Long Term Members here why do you keep reading and commenting? Do you feel as if it's YOUR grounded opinions that are the only ones that consider everything and are therefore the only valid ones?

Please if you have a response post it on one...anyone...of my experiences so we do not detract further from the O/P comments.

Again sorry for the hijack...

Respectfully,

Rook
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
Well that's the thing when it comes to personal experiences; what we know for sure- happened, may or may not be what we really think it is or was.

I myself have had a couple of weird experiences during my childhood. Ghosties? Possibly. Or it could have been pareidolia.

Now take Eastern Religions for example- Many state there is only "one" god. But they've got a kazillion deities to worship. Buddhism claims Buddha isn't a god, yet they worship him like he was. Islam claims that there is only one god, yet they worship Mohammed.

Now just because there are weird things out there, doesn't automatically make it true. It means that someone saw something weird. Take rainbows. You've seen one right? Well what if you saw a fire rainbow? That's where you look high into the sky and see a flat rainbow where none should be.
Http://listverse.com/2008/04/19/20-amazing-and-unusual-weather-phenomena/
Some Religious folks would consider such to be a sign from the deity of their choice. I on the other hand would reach for my camera to take a pic of this rather rare phenomena. Which I did two years ago in Eugene Oregon. And sure enough it presaged about a week of heavy rain.
The point I'm making- we all want to feel that the weird thing we've witnessed, was something out of the ordinary, and on occasion, it was. But it takes a bit of humility to realize that it could just as easily have been something more mundane. Which is something sadly lacking on Your Ghost Stories.

Humility that is.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: