You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: April Violets

Real Ghost Stories

April Violets

 

My Nana passed away just over 11 years ago. Out of 5 grandchildren I was the only girl so we were very close. Her favourite flowers were violets and she always wore a perfume called 'April Violets'. I can remember her big warm hugs and smelling the sweet scent of her perfume. It's one of the fondest memories I have of her.

Every day she used to walk to the local corner store and buy a newspaper and an ice-cream. She told me she liked to walk because there was always something different to see every day. She was a very independent person and lived in a flat by herself even when she was old and frail. She suffered from bad asthma but she always went on her daily walks no matter how long it would take her. A few months before her passing she was mugged by a scumbag (sorry I can't think of any nicer words to describe this "human"!) and due to this she lost her independence, stopped going on her daily walk and her health deteriorated very rapidly. She was admitted to hospital with breathing difficulties and a few days into her stay seemed to be getting better.

My Dad was just about to leave work and he received a phone call from his brother to say that my Nana had taken a turn for the worst and that he had better come to the hospital. My Dad made his way to the hospital and stopped at a set of traffic lights and turned on the radio on. The song that started playing was Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison, one of Dad and my Nana's favourite songs. My Dad said he just knew that she had passed away and sure enough we he got to the hospital she had passed away not long before he arrived.

My Dad's brother had been by her side in her final moments and he said she glanced at the celling, smiled and said 'hello Leo' and took her last breath and passed away. Leo was her husband that had passed away many years earlier. My Uncle found great comfort knowing that she died his father was there to meet her. My Dad spent some time alone with her in the hospital room and apologised that he wasn't there with her in her final moments, as he felt bad that he had not made it to the hospital in time.

When my Dad left the hospital he got into his car and noticed something wedged between the wiper blades and the windscreen. It was a tiny purple flower... A violet. He felt it was my Nana's way of telling him not to be sorry that he wasn't there when she passed.

The funeral was a few days later and my brother and I drove together to the cemetery. On the way we were talking about happy memories we had of Nana and all of a sudden the car was filled with a strong scent of violets. My brother was first to say 'can you smell Nana's perfume?' The scent lasted for about 30 seconds then it vanished as quickly as it came. We both agreed Nana was letting us know that she was there and was listening to our fond conversation about her.

A year later on the date of her first anniversary of her passing, my Dad was driving home from work. He stopped at the same set of traffic lights just as he had a year earlier on the way to the hospital and he turned on the radio. The song playing was Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison. Perhaps it was simply a coincidence but he felt it was Nana letting him know she was still around.

Other hauntings by shellzy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shellzy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-07)
i love this story! Had 3 sets of goosebumps while reading it... 😊
kathwitt (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-10)
such a great story - my uncle passed not too long ago and he said "Hello Arlene" and smiled as he died, which was very comforting to myself and my family - much like it was to your uncle
Thank you for sharing! 😊
jasmineh (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-28)
this is a beautiful story shellzy!
I have read it a few times, gets me every time.
Your nana will always be with you, <3
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-22)
Thanks so much for everyone's kind comments ❤ I still miss my Nana very much but I know at times that she is still around me especially when I need her the most. 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-22)
Sorry I missed this account of yours Shellzy, it was very touching, I can relate to this in so many ways especially the smell of a passed loved ones perfume definitely an awesome eye opening experience. Thats truly great that she is still showing you all signs that she is looking over you! 😊 All the best to you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
shellzy,
Thank you for posting this one. Your dad and I have much in common with our loved ones songs, don't we? Bless his heart, he knew what had happened as soon as the song came on. But to get it again, in the same place, a year to the day? Sweetie, there is no question in anyone's mind after that. And of course the Violet perfume. I will be thinking about this one for a while.
What a beautiful thing to do for all of you, it just warms my heart to hear things like this.

Thank you again. ❤

Jav

~this one is going to my favorites list!~ 😊
SnoWQueeN (5 stories) (100 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-08)
How sweet and your Nana sounds a great person. Its painful to lose someone but after that when they come to visit us the way they letting us to know is just lovely... God bless you and May Nana's soul Rest in Peace.

~Nikky
llennore (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
this really is a sweet story to tell, thanks for sharing it. Take care. 😁
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
a sweet touching post shellzy thank you for sharing it with us 😊
These are the posts I most enjoy reading on here family and loved ones letting us know they are ok and still with us after they pass.
Thanks again
Taz
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
that's cool! I never really met my granparents. Both grandpas died before I was born, and my mom's mother died when I was one, and my dad's mom dead when I was like 3. So i'm glad you got to meet yours, i'm sorry that she got mugged, that shouldn't happen to anyone. But at lease she found some peace.
GIRLIE ❤
RainLilly (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
Very sweet account. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman, then and now. Your family is blessed by her love.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
Not good! This was a sad story and it made me cry at work. NOT good! It also made me remember my grandmother.
Spookymulder (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
That is a really sweet story it's sad your dad didn't make it but for her to give him a flower is so sweet and caring I get the message she was a great person in life and still is in the after life
sara77 (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
What a lovely story, sounds just like what a Nan would do 😊
Thanks for sharing ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: