You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Coughing Man And The Scissors

Real Ghost Stories

The Coughing Man And The Scissors

 

I moved into a rented house by myself over a year ago and I have had some very strange occurrences happen in this time. The activity can happen any time of day or night and happens in all different areas of the house. I love the area that I live in and I actually do really like the house but a couple of strange occurrences of late are causing me a bit of unease...

I quite often hear footsteps that sound like they are either going down the hallway towards the bedrooms or up the hallway towards the kitchen area. Sometimes they are heavy footsteps which sound like they are made by an adult and sometimes they sound like a child running. Countless times I have got up to make sure there isn't actually anyone in the house and every time there is nobody there.

Quite a few times that I have heard the footsteps I have had either one or both my cats sitting with me. On every occasion the cats ears prick up and they become alert staring at open doorways like they're seeing something I can't see or they are waiting for someone to enter the room we are in. It freaks me out but I'm glad they can hear it too as I know it's not my imagination or the house making normal house noises.

Another sound I hear quite frequently is a male coughing and always seems to come from one of the spare bedrooms. I hear it most often at night, around 4am. It is almost like a person that smokes heavily has woken in the morning and is having a good cough to clear the lungs. This can happen a few times a week then not happen for weeks on end. I finally got the courage to open the door and peek in one morning after hearing the coughing and found myself looking at an empty room.

A weird experience that unsettles me happened one morning a few weeks ago and I was getting ready for work. I jumped out of the shower, dried off and went to find my nail scissors to give my nails a trim. I searched high and low and much to my annoyance could not find them even though I'm sure they should have been in the bathroom. I gave up as I was running late for work and just thought I would buy a new pair later on.

I went out the front, locked the door behind me and jumped into the car. That's when I saw something on the porch near the doormat glimmering in the sunlight. I got out of the car to see what it was and there were my nail scissors about a metre away from the doormat... How they got there I have no idea and the fact that I was looking specifically for them that morning, well, it just freaked me out big time!

About a week ago I was getting dressed in my bedroom and I heard very clearly what I can only describe as a deep guttural barking sound. I froze on the spot and it made the hairs on my arms prickle. It sounded as if it was coming from the kitchen area and I finally mustered up the courage to move to see what it was. Nothing was actually there but I really felt watched and very uncomfortable. A few days later I was recording video of my cats playing on my mobile phone. The recording goes for about 20 seconds. Upon playing it back, about 4 seconds in I heard the exact same deep guttural barking sound I heard before. While recording the video I did not hear this sound at the time. The TV was not on, there was no music playing. It was just me, the cats and a quiet house. I have played it to a friend and she said it was one of the most disturbing noises she has ever heard.

As I said I do actually like the house and the area I live in but the last couple of experiences with the scissors and the horrible barking sound have really unnerved me!

Thanks for reading my story.

Other hauntings by shellzy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shellzy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
Ram,
I have heard of animals have the ability to sense and see what the human eye can't see but to go and say that cats carry negative energy is a little far fetched. What are going to say next, that dogs are re carnations of the devil.

Cristine,
This is not a novel site where you can come to get entertainment when you get bored. These are real events taken place in people's lives. That means they don't need "who - shot - john" fillers unless it actually happened.

Shellzy,
I agree with Nysa and Rook about the scissor incident and the other incidents being creepy and residual happenings, respectively. As for the growl, I'm not sure about that. You might have a ghost dog, who is jealous of your cats (just joking!). I would follow Rook's advise about the cleansing. I like Rook's cleansing because you can adapt it according to your believes.

I just have one question for you, Shellzy. Is it a possibility to post the video clip, if you still have it? I would like to hear it.
ram (25 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2011-12-26)
hello shelzy, please no offence but I blame on your cats as cats are belived to carry negative energies along with them. If not just cleanse your house with holy water.
Cristine (41 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2011-12-25)
I really liked how you wrote this without giving a lot of "who-shot-john" fillers, like the time of the day it was and all the people involved and what you were watching on TV, and blah, blah, blah. It doesn't make for a very convincing story.

I think what you have is a good thing. You have a couple of interesting house guests. The more paranormal activity you have, the more ghosts you have in your residence/domain. They are not there to do you harm. Ghosts often mimic mortal behaviors such as you do, such as brushing your teeth, drinking from a cup, eating, and they will often stand beside you or in front of you as you sit on the toilet. They watch EVERYTHING you do. You touch it; they touch it.
You could be sitting in front of the TV and might even if you are lucky see a translucent motion go for the remote control as if the ghost was going to change the channel. They do all kinds of things that the "writers" here simply have not grasped on to and experianced with a "bird's eye view" into the paranormal.

Have fun and personalize your ghosts with names to identify them. Invisible house guests. 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-22)
shellzy,

Well met and thank you for sharing. I have to agree most of these experiences sound as if they are residual. The Growling and the Scissors are a wee bit different... Do you know any of the history concerning the home? This may provide clues as to why there is a residual haunting and possible a lead to who 'gave' you the scissors or 'what' was growling.

I'll offer a method I use to help sheild / cleans a home of negative energies/entities as something of it's knd may help you to feel better in your own home...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-21)
Ok the scissor incident is just weird. I can't imagine how or why they ended up there. The rest of the experiences sound rather like echoes from the past, things that really happened in your house & for some reason are at times audible in the present, except for the growls. Perhaps the growling is a dog. The feeling that it was watching you & reacting to your cats sounds like normal dog behavior. Spectral dog growls are bound to sound creepier than a dogs growl usually does, right?
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-21)
Since nothing malicious has occurred, there really isn't anything to worry about.

If you're concerned about the midnight walker, then I'd suggest the construction of some sane and safe boobytraps.

Http://www.wikihow.com/Safeguard-a-Home-Without-an-Alarm

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: