You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: The Face In The Kitchen And Shadows Upstairs

Real Ghost Stories

The Face In The Kitchen And Shadows Upstairs

 

It happened when I was around 8 or 9, on a friday night around 7.00pm. Me and my family (Mother and Father) were watching a movie in the lounge downstairs, our lounge is a well lit room that's never felt negative in any sense, whereas many other places in my home have. It was raining outside but unnoticeable in the warm and comforting company of my family. I had felt tired all day and had decided to finally call it a day and go to bed, so after saying goodbye to my parents I headed up the stairs that lie on the left hand side of the corridor. The kitchen (of which this incident happened) was not lit, and had a coat hanging on the door, the kitchen remains mostly obscured by the bannister of the stairs but is visible at a certain point up the stairs, around mid way.

I was walking up the stairs when out of the corner of my eye I notice what appeared to be someone hanging around the corner of the kitchen, as if they were watching me walk up the stairs, I immediately turned to watch the "person". They jutted behind the door as fast as anything leaving nothing else left in view. My first reaction was one you would expect from someone of my age at the time, I screamed that someone was in the kitchen and ran up the stairs onto the landing, at which I saw another person in my parents bed. Note that only myself and my Mother and Father were in at the time. I never made out exactly what either of the "people" looked like, or if they were even people, all I remember is a yellow-ish skin tone and a head that was completely bald, they were both stick thin.

Never in my life had I seen something like this, and never do I hope to again. My heart shot up at an alarming rate and I froze on the landing, just closing my eyes and ignoring it all, when suddenly my dad grabs me shouting "What is it?!?" I reply just how expected, by screaming "There was a man in the kitchen and in your room!"

My Mother and Father then took me around the house looking for these "people" that I had seen. We found nothing. My Dad chalked the first one off to the coat on the door, and the second to just my imagination from being startled and to this day I still have no idea, while my Fathers explanation seems rather feasible, I refuse to believe it. Simply because of the door moving as the "man" darted in and his hand even brushed across the coat, and I somehow doubt a coat would be able to do that because after all, it's a coat.

After that day I was always terrified of walking up the stairs, and still am today. I walk up the stairs backwards now (rather stupid and dangerous I know) but I don't trust turning my back on those stairs, ever. I also avoid looking into my parents room at all times, and soon I will be moving in there, enter the nightmares, once again.

After this incident life was once again uneventful, at least when it came to this sort of stuff. It would have been around 6 months after my incident with the kitchen and the bedroom, and it was out of my mind for the most part, I was on another one of those stints I had as a child, where I would play for hours on my Gameboy, usually on Pokémon. I was lay in bed, with the lights on playing when I finally saved and turned it off, the door was open and the landing light was on, my bed was in the far corner of the room, with the door to my right side, so I couldn't see outside, or anything outside could see me inside. I sat there for a moment and clicked my fingers, when a rather creepy thing happened, not as dramatic as my first experience but still very creepy. A shadow of someone standing in robes with some sort of long staff in his hand was stood in my doorway, with the landing light stretching its shadow all across my room, my older Brother was fast asleep in my room, in his bed on the other side of the room, back facing the door. So even if he were awake he wouldn't have seen it. It stood there for a few seconds and then was gone when I blinked and rubbed my eyes (Just like something from a movie) I sat there in awe and didn't sleep that night until my parents had returned.

So can anybody suggest what either of these experiences were? There has never really been any explanation I can think of, and neither has there been one of any friend I told, from that incident onward, nothing else had ever happened to me in my house. Ever. Which further confused me as to why it only happened once each, and never repeated. Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!:)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AlexTheUnsure, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

molly116 (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-14)
the yellow skined people may be people who died of anoreiria.
AlexTheUnsure (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-26)
Thank you for your comments, I've thought also that the things I have seen may just be things passing through, but from what I've read, robed shadow ghosts seem to be commonly linked with very negative things, which leaves me rather puzzled as to why nothing negative ever came from it, anyways, thanks for your input, all the best.
thx11 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-25)
This is why the English poet Dylan Thomas wrote in his peoms of being weary and gently into the dark night. Strange and unforseen things do happened in the dead dark of the night imagined or not so so it msut be treated with great care.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
There's one part of your experience that is completely unbelievable: an 8-9 year old voluntarily going to bed, no matter how tired! Although, if your parents did not enforce a bedtime, I suppose it's possible you were tired and decided to go to bed on your own. Very unusual, though (I don't think I ever wanted to go to bed as a kid). As for your experiences, I'm sure others will suggest this, but I wouldn't rule out pareidolia, which is our tendency to see patterns where there are none. However, it's up to you what you choose to believe. Obviously, pareidolia or not, these experiences have affected you a great deal.
RainLilly (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
Sometimes ghosts are just "passing through" for lack of a better term. They move through a place and are gone, for reasons of their own. Maybe these entities realized how badly they startled you, and decided not to stay in an uncomfortable environment. Whatever the reasons, you had a couple of isolated experiences in an otherwise quiet house. I don't think you have anything to be afraid of.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: