You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Black Thing In The Hallway

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Thing In The Hallway

 

So, we moved into this house in Bartlett, Tennessee about five years ago, and the one area of the house that has always bothered me is the hallway on the north end of the house that leads to the guest bedroom, my bathroom, my mom's room, and ends in the stairs that go up to my room. Whenever I go up the stairs it's always felt like I'm being watched, and it's more than a little creepy.

One night, at about 2 in the morning, I'd gone downstairs on one of my frequent insomnia fueled trips to the kitchen, and, finding nothing good to eat, I was going back up the stairs to my room. As usual, I had the unpleasant sensation of being watched, but it had been three years since we moved in and I was getting to the point where I could ignore it, so I didn't think too much of it.

As I opened the door to my room, I glanced behind me, back down the stairs, and saw a large black shape resembling a dog in the doorway that led to the kitchen. It was a little bigger than a German Shepard, with pale yellow eyes and pointed ears, and was crouched in the doorway, looking up the stairs at me.

Panicking, I ran into my room and locked the door behind me. I went and sat on the floor next to my couch, which is in the farthest corner of my room. Once I'd calmed down a bit, I noticed that my two pet rats, who's cage was next to where I was sitting, were cowering in their little house instead of climbing the bars to sniff at me as was their usual form of greeting.

Nothing else happened that night, but I still get the feeling of being watched in the hallway, and I've been terrified of the hallway ever since. Shortly after the experience, the younger of my two rats developed blood-filled tumors and died, the older one following soon after, though neither of them was very old and both had been healthy until that point. I now have a cat who lives in my room, and she sometimes seems to watch something travel across the room at night, or jumps and runs across the room as if something has scared her, and these things always happen at the end of the room where the door to the hallway is. Anyone out there with a similar experience?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Neko98, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SheytheNotsoBrave (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
I once heard that a black dog in the spirit world can resemble a demon at times. There have been a lot of reports about people seeing a black dog (ghost of one of course) and then their animals get sick or die. I'm not sure if it's true, but I think it could be possible... 😲
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Another possibility is that the wolf/dog thing you saw may have been a spirit that some cultures refer to as a "shuck". Do you think it may have been a death omen for your other pets? I agree that they may have just been scared by you rushing in there and hiding. I'm sorry to hear that you lost your pets. 😢

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Shuck
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-27)
Interesting story here, Neko98. I don't know exactly what this thing was, but I don't believe that it really meant any harm. I don't think that the rats were physically harmed by the Spirit. I think that they were possibly scared out of their wits as well, and maybe picking up on your scared energy. If this Spirit has not harmed you yet, I don't believe it will.
Please keep us updated on any new developments 😁.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
PurplePanda (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Could it have been a spirit or ghost of a wolf? I believe wolves have yellowish eyes.

I've also been told that in some cultures wolves represent teachers.

Just my 2¢ (or less) worth.;)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Yakolives - why do you think a ghost or entity will harm an animal?

I have a cat (the Demon Cat From Hell), who spends the majority of his time inside and my kids and I share our home with at least two ghosts. Never have the ghosts we live with harmed my cat. If anything, I would think it more likely my cat would do damage to our ghosts 😆.

I've had cats my entire life. Everywhere I've lived there has been at least one ghost living there with me. I do believe cats sense ghosts/spirits. I also believe, if they didn't like cats while alive, they're not suddenly going to like them when dead. More than likely they're going to mess with them, just because they can.

But it is your opinion and like I said earlier today, that's what makes this site interesting 😊
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Yakolives

So I'm supposed to choose between 'getting' a ghost or 'getting' a pet.

Well not many people plan on living with a ghost. The pets will normally be with the person already. I agree that some spirits can harm an animal, but they very rarely do. Heck, they hardly hurt humans to their worse potential.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
that is interesting. It could have been a guarian of some sort. It doesn't sound like it would be a "hell hound"

But I am sure that was scary non the less.
Yakolives (4 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Hi,
Just an opinion. If you really have a ghost or bad spirit don't have animals. They can be harm or kill by an entity. Keep a close eye on your kitty.
Thanks for sharing
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Creepy...did you tell your mom about it?
I sometimes think having a pet would help a lot when it comes to being creeped out all the time. I have a flatmate, but its not the same... I want a cat too, but I live on the second floor on a busy road by by the beach so it isn't practical. Atleast you have your kitty:)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Very often the feeling of being watched is a factor of the environment and things in it. In this case I speaking of EMF (Electromagnetic Fields) High levels of this can cause people to feel as if they are being watched and in some cases people will see things out of the corner of their eye (You said you 'glanced' down the stairs...).

Your two rats may have been 'scared' by your abrupt entrance and closing/locking of your door. As far as their illness goes this may have been just a 'bred' type thing... My Mother in Law teaches Science in New Hampshire and she has rats as pets for the class room... And she's had a similar type issue with some of her rats.

I'm not saying your experience didn't happen, just the way you have told it, but there are some 'natural' explanations that need to be considered, and eliminated, before the paranormal can be considered. If you do not already keep a Journal, start one. It can help you remember details and that makes them easier to 'de-bunk'.

Thank you for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
harsh (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
hmm... First scan out your house for any animal living by... Every animal even human have got 6th sense which warns them that they are being followed or watched... Example... Let your cat be sleeping and you stare at her, it will stare you back after a while realising that someone has been staring. This might be the same hyper activity of the brain and the fear in you. Your fear propells any evil spirit... Look at us too... When some-one is afraid of us we try to dominate, then why not spirits? Just ignore it and don't pay attension. If it has to harm you, let it make an attempt and always remember wearing jesus around your neck has no meaning unless you trust him. And also please offer prayers at home every day. This is the most powerful thing to ward evil spirits away from home
mrfear672india (106 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Hi neko,
I think it might be a beast of animal. Thats why your cat freaked seeing that.
It might have died before there.

Thanks for sharing.
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
Hi neko98,
I think it is beast od dog as you said that's why your cat is freaked when it sees that.

May be other animal also like jaguar or... Anything could have died there.
Desir3 (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-24)
wow this sounds really creepy:o but good thing it hasnt hurt you or anything, yet.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: