You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Care Home

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Care Home

 

My mother works at this care home until present day. Three years ago my mother got me a job at this care home as I was only 18 and looking for a job. Only problem, it was working nights. There were 5 residents at the time I worked there. When I first stepped foot in the the building I sensed a very weird atmosphere. I had heard a lot of stories but I didn't believe any of it such as doors banging, door handles rattling, the usual etc.

A few months into the job I experienced a loud groan. Assuming it was one of the residents, I went down the corridors to check, but all were sound asleep. So I thought one of them must have been dreaming. As I walked back up the corridor, I had a strange feeling someone was standing behind me down the corridor. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I turned around and nothing was there.

I remember cooking myself something to eat in the kitchen and I heard a knock on the window, as if someone was outside. No one can get outside, only if you unlock the doors. But all the doors were locked for safety reasons as the residents have learning disabilities; therefore, we have to help them to do things on their behalf. Also, no one can get out the fire exits as they are fitted with an alarm when opened.

A few more months down the line it was the Christmas holiday. Me and my work colleague decided to have a snack. As I was sitting down in the lounge, my colleague stood in the doorway and gasped. As we both looked behind him, we saw a grey figure walk past him down the corridor. But the strangest thing about it was that it had its own shadow?!

The following night after me and my colleague ran down the corridor as we thought we heard one of the residents trying to get out of the room as the door handle was SHAKING we bravely opened the door to our shock the resident was fast asleep.

To this day a loud groan which sounds like a old woman can still be heard even when the residents are out for the day, faces can be seen in the top corners of the room from time to time. Before it turned into a care home an old man lived in the home with his dog and he always played the piano, When it turned into a care home the piano the old man had was still in the home but when night staff were complaining about the piano playing on its own they had to take the piano away.

One night I had the chance to work with the manager and she told me stories what happened when she first started such as one of the residents had a friend he always smiled at, but when this friend passed away he never smiled, but a week after he passed the resident would always look up at the ceiling and smile they thought nothing of it but when they took the resident to the toilet they heard him say LEAVE ME ALONE this resident cannot speak to anyone as he has severe learning disabilities.

They used to have baby monitors in each room but they kept getting interference on the other end. This I can understand how it is explainable. It is just getting someone else's radio waves.

One resident will look down the corridor and just run into another room as if something had startled her. Another goes into the dining room and says "doggy." This is reference to the man and the piano.

Staff members have spotted people standing outside in the garden and this garden is absolutely pitch black at night. It's impossible to see and really gives you the creeps. I always had to shut the blinds in the kitchen and in the lounge as I felt like someone was going to be looking through. My own mother has stood in the kitchen loading the dishwasher and when she looked behind her, a woman in white with long dark hair had stood right behind her. My mother screamed and her colleague had to send her home as she was really shaken.

When my manager told me these ghostly going-ons, she fetched something out of the office to show and what she showed me was the deeds to the building and what it was built on top of. Yes, that's right. The building was built on top of an old hospital built for women back in the day when they had lost their children or had children out of wedlock believing they were all mental.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rachelsmith, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rachelsmith (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
hello zzsgranny,
At first it was an old hospital kind of like an asylum for women who had lost their children during birth or had children out of wedlock, in the garden there is like a slope which goes down on the lawn which you can tell I will get a picture to post up to show everyone, a home (bungalow) was built on top and extended when turned into a care home.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
-1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Lou: That's a very interesting theory... One I think I'll keep in mind the next time I read about or see a shadow...

Rachelsmith: I just have one question... Is this an actual home that has been converted to a care home?...It seems that way from your story, I just want to know if I have the image right 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Rachel,
Many hospitals, hospice care, elderly care facilities, etc, are notoriously haunted. The one you and your mother worked for was built over another care facility? Oh brother! I agree that must be the source. I would venture a guess that you couldn't stop it if you wanted to at this point, really. And since there has been nothing malevolent reported to have occurred, I might even go so far as to suggest it could be that destiny has a hand in it somewhere.
The ghost with it's own shadow? Wow! Very cool indeed. That one is a first for me, and it has me wondering if Lou isn't so far off with his theory. The shadow spirits simply fascinating me to no end.
Thank you for sharing this lovely account. Can't wait for future updates!

Jav 😊

[at] Lou,
Love the theory!
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Nice account, Rachel. Thanks for posting and welcome.

The grey figure with the shadow is intriguing. Here's a wild arse theory out of nowhere. Everyone knows about the multiple accounts of shadow people that get posted pretty much daily on this site. Everyone also knows it is pretty much the most common form of siting with regards to the paranormal. What if shadow people were actually spirit shadows? Everyone has different levels of sensitivity, what if one of the lower levels of sensitivity is seeing a shadow of a spirit. Most of these apparitions are usually faceless outlines of hatted men or hooded entities... Maybe they are generic because they are actual shadows?
In other words, the ghost is invisible to someone, but their shadow is not. This could hold some water, until you get to the accounts of shadow people who have three dimensions or depth. I am full of useless theories today... Carry on.

Lou
spanner28 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
This is fantastic. I too worked in a care home for 10 years before I decided to train as a counsellor. I witnessed a few of the residents passing away and afterwards there would be strange goings on in or around their rooms. They do say that the elderly are like children and animals when it comes to sensing spirits.

Keep us updated if anything else happens
rachelsmith (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Thanks for the posts peeps 😁 I will still keep you posted on things that are still occuring.

Hi Harsh just to let you know what I should have posted in my story is that they did have the care home blessed twice and things are still happening!
harsh (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
My granny can still see spirits and can talk to them. My sister used to fall ill a lot of times due to unknown reasons. One day just she went out for tuitions then suddenly the bell rang, there was power cut so god knows how much power that residual magnetism had to make a loud ring. When me and my brother opened the door we saw a black old lady calling my sister's name wierdly. It was wierd that time, but soon realising that there was no electricity and the bell ringinging we froze. We looked at each other and we banged the door and ran. We came back to the roof to see but she was no where, where did she go so swift at such old age?

Later at night my sister came, she told some-one was constantly calling her name while in the class. It was some old woman calling. We still froze. That night we decided to sleep together. Then at night my granny's distant cousin, whom we believed to be of strongest heart, suddenly woke up shouting tha she saw an old lady going into the bathroom, she was a spirit... First time we saw a scare in her face.

That night when my sister woke up she was having fever. We gave her Paracetamol, it gave relief but for short time. We called up the doctor. He came and gave medicines but was no use. My sister's health started to drop in 3-4 days. She couldn't stand up on her feet due to weakness. The doctor came and took blood samples, urine and stool samples. Everything was OK and No abnormalities were recorded.

Then my granny told one evening to my sister's parents... Pray to your uncle who recently met with acident and the couple had met spot death. They may be here around and ask them to help her.

Then the next day at 5 am morning my granny told that they had come at night and she saw them and when my sister woke up she was sweating and absolutely good as if nothing had happened, though weak. Thanks to the almighty GOD for helping out.!
harsh (7 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
just have a prayer room in the house and it will cure up ali the things. The love, lust and desire keeps the spirit from going to other dimension... Just don't worry and work out.

JAI HANUMAN...!
mrfear672india (106 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Hi rachelsmith,
My sister too ham similar experience in house. After my brother-in-law went for duty she would see black shadow roaming in the house here and there. She also saw her mother-in-law spirit in house but they will not enter into kitchen room because there is mini temple in the way to kitchen.
"GOD IS POWERFUL THEN SPIRITS"

"om nama shivaya"
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
Shadows of grey figures bangs a bell for me. I've seen that. You can't forget it. In flourescent lighting?
I hate flourescent lighting. Reminds me of school, and hospitals. It is so seemingly impossible to see a shadow more defined than the object casting the shadow. They have such fun, and strike the mind in such curiously effective and studied ways.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: