You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Talking Head

Real Ghost Stories

The Talking Head

 

My whole life I have had experiences with spirits. The first time was when I was about 5 years old. We lived in an old secluded house in Breathitt County, Ky. It was a 2 bedroom old farmhouse with horse stalls out back, situated on a couple acres and was about half an hour from town. It was located across the road from the river, which flooded while we lived there. It actually trapped us there for a few days. This time in my life was about 1972.

It's going to sound odd, but not long after we moved in I began seeing a floating head of a man in the upper right hand corner of my bedroom that I shared with my little sister. I had a stressful childhood and had a hard time going to sleep at night. At first the head was scary but it always said comforting things to me. It would usually stay there for about twenty minutes or so. I actually got used to it and liked it. I would tell it my feelings and what happened in my day. One night it ask me to follow it. I reluctantly got out of bed and followed the head. It went through the living room and into my parents' room, which I never entered very often. It went pass their bed and up the stairs to the attic. I had only been in the attic a few times, it contained things from the previous owner.

Unknown to me, my parents had awakened and was following me up the stairs. When I reached the top landing the head disappeared through a door that was always locked. I turned the knob expecting it to be locked and it opened. I never realized me parents were right behind me. I went into the room and the first thing I notice is this noise that sounded like leather on an old chair rising up after someone gets out of it. I thought of it because we had a chair downstairs that did that. My parents turned on the light and it scared me because I didn't realize they were even there. They looked around the room and realized it was a nice little office space. There was a nice leather office chair at the desk. My parents ask me if I had been in there before. I told them no, that I just followed the head up here. I had mentioned the head to them before and they told me I was just dreaming. They didn't see any head that night.

The next day my dad ask the landlord if anyone had died in the house. She told him that she had a hard time renting the house since her son had committed suicide there a few years before. She said that was his belongings in the attic. We had just moved from Michigan, having went there for a few years for work. We hadn't heard the story. She told him that her son hung himself from the large light outside the office window. It was one of those installed by the electric company to light up your whole driveway or yard. He had tied a rope to the light and to his neck and jumped. He had been dead several days before she found him. My father was sorry for her loss and let it go. My father said it is very likely that if he hung there that long he could have become decapitated.

We didn't stay there much longer but before we could move my mother's favorite brother killed himself. He was a coal miner from Harlan, Ky. He had found out his wife was cheating on him and stuck his gun in his mouth, which was a 12 gauge shotgun, and pulled the trigger, while lying in bed next to his wife. Many family members didn't think he had done it himself. Well anyways, one night a couple weeks later, my mother heard her name being called from outside her bedroom window. She listened closely and realized it was her dead brother's voice. She was mortified but also curious. He continued to call her name and she got the courage to look out the window. He was dressed in his mining clothes and was transparent. Before he could say anything else she closed the curtain and jumped back in bed and under the covers. She always regretted not listening to him to see what he had to say to her. It could have been the answer to his death. Was it really suicide or was it murder?

Soon after this incident we moved into town right next door to my great grandma. She supposedly practiced witchcraft. Needless to say I have many thoughts on that matter and many things happen to me because of her and her house. I will tell you about them next time. As for the head, I am certain it was the head of the son of the landlord. I think he just became depressed and lonely. I will never forget that time in my life. It is one of my first real memories that I can piece together for that long of a time. I guess it is something so wild that you could never forget it.

Other hauntings by southerntk

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, southerntk, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-22)
Interesting accounts southerntk: It may be just a simple matter of not having enough energy to manifest properly, and what it did manifest was the head as to have your undivided attention. Sorry to hear about your mothers brother, it would have been interesting to have know what he would have said but your mothers reaction to the event is understandable. Look forward to hearing more from you, thanks for sharing. 😊

Dan

(angel13th: Your on a paranormal website, things like this do occur, what were you expecting?)
AUSTRIA (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-20)
THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR PARANORMAL EXPERIENCE. BUT I'D REALLY LIKE TO READ MORE STORIES FROM YOU. 😁 😊 😆
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-18)
I've had people describe similar experiences. Thank you for sharing yours.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-17)
Sadly, samtillie, I'm afraid lots of people make up stories on here just for cheap thrills and to be trolls. That said, I don't think southerntk is one of them. Southerntk concedes his experience is going to sound odd and personally I find that extremely odd experiences are the most believable as people are trying to describe as best they can something very weird that happened to them, usually under somewhat stressful circumstances, as best they can.

For what it's worth, southerntk, I believe you are describing your experience as best you can. It certainly sounds plausible that the head could be the deceased former resident who was lonely. I would tell your mom not to feel bad about hiding from her brother. He may have just wanted to say goodbye and hopefully he is at rest now.

Angel13th, I think it is always more helpful if you identify concrete things (such as any inconsistencies in a particular post) rather than simply stating you don't believe a post.
folly (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-17)
Thank you for sharing your story, yes I agree with you it could be the landlords son. Also the mother of a friend of mine also experienced a similar thing. Take care 😁
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-17)
Angel

I think it is quite insensitive of you to comment on someone's experience as you have. If you believe the experience or not you should keep your opinion to yourself. You could hurt someone's feelings and what they believe in. Why would anyone makeup a story to publish on here? And if anyone does they are being a little bit disrespectful towards the community that do use this site. I have read many stories on here and some people genuinely are asking for help. I just think in future in general people should think about their comments before they post them. Maybe I am being abit over the top, but in saying that I don't wish to offend either.

Southerntk - interesting experience, shame there is such a sad story and loss behind it though. Take care x
Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-17)
Angel, I do agree that there are some pretty outrageous elements here. I also know that anything is possible and that some pretty strange things happen in life that are not paranormal. I hope some of the residents experts chime in on this one.
angel13th (2 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-10-17)
I find it difficult to believe this story to be real... It just seems fictional to me. But if this is real then that must have been scary if I'm you I might die the instant I see that head 😆
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-16)
What an experience! The son hanging outside the window and the brother who may have shot himself are just so tragic and heartbreaking. Nothing, nothing is ever that bad. No wonder their souls are not at rest.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: