You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Underwood Devil?

Real Ghost Stories

The Underwood Devil?

 

I have seen the devil, I think. It's going to sound strange I know, but this really happened to me. When I was young, about 10 years old, I was with my grandmother driving all around town looking for some Halloween costume and was having a problem locating a store with anything worth a damn. Finally we settled for a local K-Mart store. We bought my costume and were heading home, then my grandmother said she was going to stop for a pizza at the local Pizza Hut. That was cool with me, I was starving.

So we pulled into the parking lot of the Pizza Hut and my grandma told me to wait here and not get out of the car because it was dark. Back then everyone was left in the car, I guess? So in she went. I was OK just listening to the radio when something caught my attention to the right just behind the Pizza Hut. The area was wooded and dark, just as it is to this day. All but this strange red glow inside this cove of trees. I was now taken in by the bright flickering light and watched in amazement as the light took on the form of flames, sparks and finally took on a human form. Well, almost human. It looked more like electricity "lightning" and it started to dance and jump around in some super fast unnatural way. It looked like a very thin red creature "the devil." This will sound corny, but I swear it looked like that damn Underwood Deviled Ham devil. You know, the one on the can. This was real. Suddenly the thing was at my window just looking at me as if to say, "I know you see me and I see you."

Man, I crawled over the seat into the back, cowering on the floorboard until my grandma came out and had to calm me down. It took her awhile but she finally got through to me and I came around, then we went home. I told her what happened to me and she got mad and told me I should not speak of such things.

But I tell you I was not a troubled kid with a big imagination, or crazy. This just happened to me, just something I was meant to see. This goes a lot further as I got older. I am now 40 years old and it still freaks me out, but it feels good to finally tell someone else about it. Thanks for your time.

Oh yeah, the Pizza Hut is still there, as is the wooded area behind it, so if you ever want to have a look maybe you will get lucky and have a show put on for yourself.

Thank you for your time... Michael A. Hayes, San Antonio, TX.

Other hauntings by spookyme401

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spookyme401, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
Hello:
A "small" correction. I didn't write "purple plants" in the last post and do NOT know why it was changed into something SO bizarre. It will NOT allow me to write the word c-l-o-w-n, even after many edits.
STRANGE: (
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
I disagree with the others; it doesn't sound like any sort of "clown" I've ever seen. You sound bright enough to know the difference between colored ectoplasm taking shape and someone in a costume. It sounds like something that would frighten me as well.
Hope you never see it again!
Blessings,
Lynev
Apfelkorn (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-12)
Misty, I have great doubts that the devil looks like that (horns with a red face). It's more the result of creativity/imagination than of reality. You can prove me wrong.

And to see a red 'devil' in the middle of the night, at that age (or any age) smiling at you, and not be scared? Mmmmm...
misty666 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-12)
I seen the devil too, I was 8 at the time, I was sleeping in my parents room. My back was to the the little hallway to the door I felt uneasy I turned and looked I saw a red devil face smiling at me. It didn't scare me but I think about it from time to time, I am 33 now... And I have other little weird ghostly happenings that I will write later on...
spookyme401 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-16)
all I know is it really happened,, and it wasn't someone in a mask, or a fire it was like a human form but thinner and alive with electricity... And the face in the window,,,man...it still freaks me out.
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-15)
Yeah, the devil is a real brave one, frightening small children.
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-15)
Sounds like a great advertising campaign for Underwood Ham! You seen it firstly in the trees-could it of been fireworks/a bonfire? Not uncommon around Halloween. Maybe it actually WAS a man in a suit advertising the product seeing as you were near a diner and when you saw it, your mind could of made it appear closer than it actually was as you were shocked-just a thought.
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-15)
I believe your story. My sister once saw the devil on one of the kitchen cabinets when she was about fourteen. I think it appeared to her as the red devil face.
MrJV545 (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-15)
I don't agree with the others. Based on the description of all this, I think it could be an actual demon. Just kidding; Halloween tends to spark imaginations, so I think that you thought you saw something that might have been nothing more than some light show. Your imagination likely got the best of you. If you still strongly believe this was a demon of a kind, go into the woods yourself and see if it appears (try it several times for validation, or bring someone with you without telling them about any of it).
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-14)
I have to agree with the others. People are out pulling pranks at that time of year.

When it approached the car - did it look like it could be a person in costume? I know that light effects are easily bought.

Only you know if what you saw was a person or something else. After all this time it might be hard to remember, although, I know what it's like at our age ~ if something has made that much of an impact to stick with you... You probably remember more than you think.

Hopefully someone else here has witnessed something similar and can put your mind at ease.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Best regards, Sue
Skylareve (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-14)
I'm not saying you're lying, because I doubt you are. But sometimes halloween misguides people and what they do for a prank, but its definatily possible. 😳
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-14)
spookyme401,

You mentioned you were out buying Halloween costume... Are you sure what you saw was not some one just trying to freak out a kid? Around Halloween don't people just go crazy with pulling pranks and trying to scare one another...

No doubt you did you see something... Thanks for sharing.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-14)
Interesting. Could you further describe some features?
Out of curiousity, have you ever walked through that wooded area?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: