You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Living Next To 'the Devil's Nest'

Real Ghost Stories

Living Next To 'the Devil's Nest'

 

My husband, Sean, and I as newlyweds relocated to a little house in Weber City, Va. In January 2014. We were so excited to move into this house as we were leasing to own. My mom assisted us in the move and we couldn't have been prouder of being "home-owners". It was such a beautiful little starter home it was located practically at the base of a mountain in the woods, located on the Trail of Tears.

Within the first week the activity began. I was training as a CNA at a local nursing home in the area, and I got up early one morning as I had been for my classes. It was around 5:30 in the morning and I was in the bathroom blow drying my hair with the door open. It was a small bathroom so I left the door open so I wouldn't get hot. As I held my head upside down and tousled my hair and the dryer around I caught a glimpse of someone in an old timey pioneer woman dress float directly next to me into my bedroom. Confused and not understanding what I had just seen, I stopped what I was doing and walked into the bedroom where my husband was sleeping. I couldn't explain what had just happened. I was at a total loss for words.

I mentioned what had happened to friends and family and most just laughed. When I told my mother she mentioned to me that the house next door had been on a paranormal television show and supposedly it was known for being extremely haunted. I laughed it off and didn't think much of it. I was wrong to ever act so nonchalant.

We found out we were pregnant with our first born, Harper, shortly after moving into the home. Things were great for awhile, we had a baby on the way, I had decided to take time off and stay home while pregnant. One night I remember my husband had went to sleep before me, I was sitting in the living room watching TV and we had 3 dogs at the time and I whistled for them to come out of the bedroom and come into the living room with me. I whistled and all of a sudden I heard a whistle right back. I got up and walked to the bedroom to see if my husband was awake and he was fast asleep. I got that eerie feeling like someone was watching me and stayed up most of the night.

There were many moments in the home where you would hear people speaking in the house very low, I can only explain it like a diner and how it can be during an early morning rush, multiple conversations just going non stop. We could hear it all throughout the night while we laid in the bed and attempted to sleep. My husband was a bit of a skeptic prior to living in this house. You could also lay in our bed at night and see shadows speed from the dining room to the living room. It got to be quite disturbing at night when we laid down and we both just thought our eyes were playing tricks on us. The activity was fairly frequent, but nothing too extreme at first. Now I know seeing someone walk by me is pretty extreme, but not when you lived in this house. Eventually we got pregnant again with Charlotte, and became a family of four. My husbands cousin, Thomas, needed a place to stay and moved in with us. We joked with him about the house next door being haunted and told him about the weird things that occurred in our home.

My husband being the practical joker he is, thought it'd be funny to buy a Satanic bible and read and poke fun at the things in it. He likes to taunt people or things on occasion. One night he decided he'd go next door and "summon" whatever was in that house to come to him. No one was living in the home at that time, usually the residents didn't last longer than a few months. As soon as he got done summoning whatever it was in that house, he became violently ill and ran back home getting sick in the yard. After that things went downhill!

There were times when you could go outside and see the light randomly come on upstairs in the house next door and no one was there. We know this because my husband and his friend went over to find out if someone was there, they knocked for a while and no one came to the door. They came back to the porch and the light went off. It was so strange.

We went back in our house and came back out to smoke about 30 minutes later and the light came back on. We would see shadows all the time outside as well. So much just kept going on.

After the Satanic Bible incident, my husband, myself, and the girls were asleep in the bed. I remember waking up feeling someone's hands touching me inappropriately and I thought it was my husband. I remember laughing and saying stop, when I opened my eyes I was looking at him with both of the girls laying on and against him. I immediately froze in fear and went catatonic. I couldn't move, I couldn't speak, I couldn't do anything! I remember feeling the tears running down my face and with everything in me I KNEW SOMEONE WAS BEHIND ME! It's like I was screaming in my head for my husband to wake up, but nothing came out! Finally it's like whatever was touching me released me and I shot up crying. I was so shook by that moment. I had never had anything like that happen to me. I felt so violated. My husband being my husband, just laughed and assumed I had been dreaming and poked fun at me about it.

I label the next incident as THE BIG NIGHT, because it was just that. One night my husband, his cousin, and myself were hanging out. The girls were already in bed. We were up late and it was so cold outside. I remember having to wear a jacket when I went outside and smoked and I could see my breath it was that cold. I came back in from the back porch after smoking and looked out my dining room window toward the "haunted" house. In the yard they had a concrete table and bench, and to my surprise in the freezing cold there were 3 people sitting at the table and a lantern was lit over their head. A tall man and his face was so distorted, I couldn't make it out, he was wearing overalls and kept shaking oddly. A dark blonde woman and an old woman in a long black robe or dress. Now I wouldn't have thought it too strange, but the lantern was just hanging in mid air from nothing and it was freezing cold outside and they were just sitting there.

I shouted for my husband and his cousin, another skeptic, and they both were shocked and in disbelief. We couldn't believe our eyes. I ran to the back porch and looked at the table and no one was there, I thought I was going crazy. I ran back in and there they were again. I went to my front porch and I could still see them. Again, back to the back porch and they were gone. It's like the only place I could see them was from my dining room and front porch. My husband's cousin, Thomas, was in shock and refused to look anymore and went back into the living room scared of what he was seeing. I remember asking him, "Are you seeing this?! The same thing I'm seeing?" He replied "Yes, but I don't want to admit it to myself." I waved at the people sitting there and they waved back. I did this frequently throughout the night, until finally around 4 am the blonde female flipped me off. At around 6:00 they disappeared it was the craziest thing I had ever seen and I've never seen anything like it since.

One day the woman that owned the house next door came over and asked my husband if he could help change the locks on her house, because new people were moving in. He went over and helped and she's preceeded to tell him her brother had lived in the house and practiced the occult and was into some pretty heavy stuff. He had Parkinson's and always wore overalls. He immediately thought of the man we'd seen that night sitting at the table outside. She then told him her brother shot himself upstairs in the middle of a pentagram. My husband was very disturbed by this. We both swear it was her brother we saw that night at the table outside.

We lived there for a few years and it was almost like the place was draining our relationship. Turning us against one and other and causing severe damage to our marriage. We decided to part ways and I relocated to North Myrtle Beach, SC to be closer to my mother who had moved down a year after I moved into that house. Leaving that house was the best decision we ever made. My husband and I reconciled and are happier than ever here in South Carolina with both of our girls.

One evening we were watching tv and this show pops up on Hulu called Paranormal State. An episode labeled the Devils Nest comes on. That's episode 20 season 3. We began watching and we were shocked by what we were seeing as they drove up our old road, our old hill, you could see our house as they pulled into the driveway of the house next door and began their investigation of the Devils Nest. My husband was in shock and stated that this just put everything together he'd experienced, because he'd wrote it off as he was going crazy. One scene in the show the resident states she was sexually assaulted by something there and that made things just come together for me. My husband was at that point in shock and dismay by what had actually happened to me. We both feel for whoever lives in either house, because we don't feel like it's the houses. We feel like it's the land and it has a permanent stain that will never be lifted.

I'm so glad we moved away from there, but we will always remember the horrible and shocking events that happened while living there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wickedscissors17, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wednesdayS (4 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-04-17)
I signed up JUST to respond to your story. It is fantastic! I am going to rewatch the PS episode you spoke of as well.

Thanks for sharing, best to you!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-01)
Maybe I am missing something in my history here, but, in my defense, I did do a bit of googling to verify - whereas there is some evidence of Cherokee presence in Virginia, by the time of the passage of the Indian Removal Act, it doesn't seem like they were still in the region. All maps and documents I could find on the "Trail of Tears" don't place any of the multiple routes' starting points further North than North Carolina. Weber City, Virginia is near the boarder between the states to be sure but doesn't seem to be "on the trail." No matter what I search, I can't seem to find any reference placing any root of the trail squarely in Virginia.

Https://www.nps.gov/trte/planyourvisit/maps.htm

There was, however, a great deal of raiding back and forth between white settlers and Native American groups during the early period of white encroachment into the area.

With regards to the antiquity of "the finger" it does seem to have a long and storied history dating back at least to the 16th C. So it does seem at least possible that a spirit of the past may have picked it up somewhere.

Https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/middle-finger/

The group at the table seems to have maintained a materialized state for a quite long period of time. That's quite remarkable and, from what I have read, highly unusual. It seems to me that it would have taken them a great deal of energy to have maintained that state for that long - I wonder if there is something on the property acting as a power source.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-30)
Disturbing. I didn't make it all the way through to be honest.

Just a word of advice: NEVER taunt spirits. Especially the evil, demonic ones. They will hurt you.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-29)
Hi there, interesting story. I had just a couple thoughts.

First, I am left wondering if the "flipping off" hand signal would be something a woman of the 1800s or even early 1900s would do or know about? Serious question. Interesting though, that you saw that.

While I was reading about him getting sick, it occurred to me that perhaps the entities might have been Godly people, and had somehow made him sick BECAUSE he went up there with the wrong Bible, you know, perhaps they were offended. But then you said the gal flipped you off and the brother was a satanist. Shot that theory right down!

Do you know what occurred that prompted your husband to take the trouble to find a Satanic bible and possibly cause issues that might/could endanger his children or family? I know this is not your responsibility, but wonder if that was out of character for him? Those things aren't easy to find, I'm sure.

I am relieved for you, that it all turned out ok, and hope you were able to protect your kids from the stuff in the house. I hope you understand my concern for the kids, and hope they are all right and perhaps you were able to shelter them from all this. There is so much anxiety among kids today (I'm a teacher). Other-worldly stuff, while intriguing on a computer screen, can really add to the stress of real life if it makes kids feel unsafe.

I plan to go check out that episode, thank you for sharing... Well written!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-29)
Greetings, Wickedscissors17, and welcome to YGS.

I believe your assessment of the situation that "We feel like it's the land and it has a permanent stain that will never be lifted" is correct. The Trail of Tears was a horrific point in American history, and the event caused trauma and upheaval to tens of thousands of Native American families, even before there were deaths along the route.

Anton LeVey's "The Satanic Bible" was pubished in 1969, so your husband's reading and mocking it aloud wouldn't have had a direct effect upon the souls of Native Americans, etc., but it most certainly could have been a conduit for the Landlady's *brother* to latch on to. If the deceased brother used LeVey's book, he may have summoned an evil entity, or he may have reawakened something that had been drawn to the Native Americans' collective suffering over a century earlier. Either way, your husband's attempts to mock whatever was present were ill-conceived.

For you to have witnessed the three spirits loitering in the back garden of the neighboring house, it's my guess --and only a guess-- that they were *not* being controlled by an evil spirit. However, I'm curious about their behavior. Did anyone stay in one place to watch them (e.g.: the dining room window) while you attempted to see them from the front and back porches? The reason I ask is to find out if the spirits reacted to your appearing in different locations; that is did they turn to see what you were doing? Did they see you on your back porch, even though you could not see them from that location?

Your narrative gives us much to ponder and I thank you for submitting it to YGS.

Best,
Biblio.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-29)
Hello again.

"I waved at the people sitting there and they waved back. I did this frequently throughout the night, until finally around 4 am the blonde female flipped me off. At around 6:00 they disappeared"

Did you see them vanishing before your eyes or did they disappear/walk away during the time between two of your visits to the window?
Whatever the answer, it seems like you didn't get a good sleep that night and your constant spying annoyed the creepy trio, regardless if they were dead or alive.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-03-28)
Welcome to YGS.

Wickedscissors.

I have some questions about your story.

Do you know how long the neighbouring house had been vacant before you moved to your place? Is it normal for that area to have functioning electricity on empty houses?

Would it be possible that some trespassers/homeless people were taking shelter in the house during the BIG NIGHT?

In my opinion, whoever they were, they seemed to be very aware of your presence and even interacted with you.

Did you ever have a chance to talk to any of the people living next door about their experiences and yours? Do you know if any of them saw the apparitions you witnessed?

Since she wasn't shy regarding to what happened to her brother, do you know if the landlady informed her tenants about his lifestyle and suicide?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm only curious to know if you were able to compare notes with some other witnesses.

I'm sorry you had to go through all those events but I'm glad that, at the end, everything worked for the best.

Thanks for sharing.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-28)
Hi Wickedscissors17 and welcome to YGS,

I am sorry you guys had so much trouble. Did you guys, at least, get rid of the Satanic Bible? I'm pretty naive as far as the subject goes; but I see your husband's episode next door with the Satanic Bible as an unnecessary challenge.

Now that I got that statement out of my system... I'll have to check that show out, just to see what "The Devil's Nest" looks like. I had to laugh when you said the blonde lady eventually decided to flip you off.

Thank you for submitting your story. I am glad that things worked out and your family is back together.

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: