You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Rock House

Real Ghost Stories

Rock House

 

When I was younger about 10-13 or 14 my family had lived in a house my step mom had inherited from her parents after her father's death and her mom due to the memories not wanting to live there anymore. The house was old, having been there since the Civil War Era and needed quite a few repairs. My father, being in construction, started remodling the house and that was when strange things began to happen.

At first it was things like my dads tools ending up in odd places which he thought was either me or my two younger brothers messing with them. As he progressed in the remodling though things got worse. We began to hear footsteps on the stairs at night and the doors opening or closing which we thought was the wind or a draft.

The first sign and the start of the more serious occurrences was at my eleventh birthday slumber party. My friends and I were camped out on the living room floor and one of my friends freaked out and said there was an old woman staring in the window. We all just thought she was trying to scare us and ignored it and went to sleep.

A few weeks later my dad had came to the kitchen to get a drink; which had woken me up because my bedroom was the only one downstairs and was next to the kitchen. I was just starting to drift back to sleep when I heard my dad shout and a slight thump on the stairs. I had gotten up to check on him to see if he was okay in case he fell down the steps. When I got there he was shaking and told me not to worry about it. That next morning I overheard him telling my step-mom about the old woman he saw walking up the steps and disappear once she reached the top step.

After that things seemed to calm down slightly except for the footsteps and the occasional door slamming. So we kind of just wrote everything off. About a year or two later was when the largest occurrence happened. My dad had just finished the upstairs closet and had built glass shelving onto the dining room wall. It was early in the morning and everyone had just woke up. All the doors leading outside were still locked and my brothers and I were watching the morning cartoons, my dad was in the shower and my step mom was cooking. When suddenly every door in the house slammed open at once and the new shelves fell off the wall.

Shortly after that we moved. My uncle told me a couple years ago that the people who bought the house have been, since they bought it, trying to get my parents to buy it back because of stuff happening there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 19funsize91, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

livingsweet22 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-04)
Yes spirits get mad because people don't ask for permission from them. The spirits usually think that the house or building they are in is there's and not yours. Soo that's wh my dad (a medium) tells me everytime you remodel ask for permission. If you know that spirits are in the house.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-03)
A house from the Civil War time period can only be loaded with all sorts of memories and possibly former occupants. What an interesting house albeit somewhat scary. Although you could do some research on the house, since you live there no longer you may just wish to chalk it up as first paranormal experience.

Zeta
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-03)
Some of what I was about to say has already been said, re. Building work, renovations resulting in increased paranormal activity. I even heard a local case (in the UK) once where a car crashed into an old building on a corner and just that set off paranormal disturbances within the building.

Let the current owners know that there are serious organisations out there that will investigate these things, paranormal societies, etc. Scientific investigative work may come in useful. Also, your experiences were fascinating and the history of the house would be definitely worth researching. Try to get the current owners to find out as much as they can about the house. The old woman may come to light in the research.
joshro456 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-01)
I had a sis who well you passed 😢 and any way when someone move into our house ther was big spirtis:P and they tryed renovating she was saiad to scream at them 😲
WasteOfAnArrow (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-31)
I agree with rosemay. Renovations most always stir up activity.
rosemay (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-30)
Remodeling and construction often piques intrest from the spirits. They want to see what you're up to, they like or don't like the changes, etc. Most of the time that is all it is.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: