You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Rock Isn't Dead

Real Ghost Stories

Rock Isn't Dead

 

On March 9th, 2018 I was awoken suddenly at 1:14 am by the sound of a few notes played on my 12-year-old son's electronic keyboard in his room.

I waited a moment before getting up to investigate, just in case I was dreaming. Then I heard a note played a second time. I thought that maybe my son must be up, in which case it would have been very unusual. Our rooms were close together and I would have heard it had he been up.

I laid in bed a short moment, trying to figure out who was playing the keyboard at that time of night. The cat sometimes sleeps in his room so I rationalized that the cat decided to play a little night music. The notes, however, sounded too composed to be a random cat walk. Also, the cat had no history of jumping on the keyboard, it was not entirely sturdy enough to handle a pounce.

I decided to go investigate.

I wasn't worried, just curious, as I crept down our hallway to his room. I quietly peeked in to find that he was sound asleep. I used to work nights at a psychiatric hospital and it was part of my job to check on the patients throughout the night. I knew the signs of deep sleep and my son was definitely sleeping soundly.

After scanning the room and finding nothing amiss, I decided that maybe my son forgot to turn the keyboard off and it just sounded a note for no reason, maybe an electric issue or something of that nature. Eager to get back to bed, I went to my room. When I reached my doorway (only about 10 feet from my son's door) it dawned on me that his keyboard display was not lit up like it does when the keyboard unit is turned on.

I went back to his room for further investigation. I saw the cat awake on his bed, blinking sleepily but standing up and facing the keyboard. The cat is not nocturnal - when we turn in for the night he picks a room/human to sleep with and snuggles in for the duration, often curled into a ball on the bed. I thought it unusual for the cat to be staring at the keyboard so I walked over to the keyboard and pressed some keys. No sound came out, confirming that the power was turned off.

I checked my son again and he was softly snoring. I shrugged the incident off as unusual but not alarming, thus went back to bed.

The next morning, I woke my son up for school. As he rolled over in bed I saw the back of his tee-shirt and couldn't help but smile at the words printed on it - "ROCK ISN'T DEAD...it's just played by Ghost Of".

The shirt belonged to my deceased brother who had been in a band called "Ghost Of". He died suddenly and tragically in 2015. He loved music and his lifelong dream was to be in a band. He finally made his dream come true a few years before his death. My son had never worn that shirt before even though it had been in our possession for some time. It is curious that the first time my son wore that shirt I was awoken by the sound of a musical instrument in my son's room. But that wasn't the only coincidence.

My brother and I were very different people, he was charismatic and outgoing with many friends. I am a quiet introvert who prefers staying home rather than going out to parties. Despite our differences, we had two main things in common: a love of ghost stories and music. We would often sit around the table telling ghost stories and he would jokingly tell me that he would come back to visit me when he died.

Maybe it is true, "Rock isn't dead, it's just played by "Ghost Of".

Other hauntings by unquiet

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, unquiet, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MrsRamsay (guest)
+1
4 years ago (2019-12-05)
This is one of my favorite stories so far! It's really interesting to me that you noticed the t-shirt! Almost as if your brother was whispering in your ear: "Look at the shirt!" as a follow up to his musical notes. Just love it.

It also reminded me of one night... We had our 100 year old piano stored at the time in the back storage room of our basement (it was one of those "drive under" traditional homes in Georgia where beyond the garage was storage and tons of steps (hence the well-loved piano never made it upstairs in that house, though had been used by all my kids to learn on previously). One night we were all woken up by my teenaged daughter, who was hysterical that she had heard the piano playing two stories downstairs in the middle of the night. Unlike your situation, this was alarming. There were no animals, not even mice (for sure) in our house. I didn't see how she could've heard the piano from the second story (two floors down) and couldn't account for her sheer terror. My husband went downstairs to check on it and there was nothing unusual, no intruders. We all thought at the time she was dreaming, and it never happened again. Someone passing through? Who knows?! But it's GOOD that you immediately knew what was going on at your house!
unquiet (4 stories) (16 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-26)
Hi Sherm784, thanks so much for the comment. I agree, most of the "unusual" signs that I receive from him involve music!
unquiet (4 stories) (16 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-02-26)
Rex-T, many thanks for the input. That is an excellent idea, I think I will frame it. My brother loved clothes and fashion almost as much as music so maybe that's why you received that impression 😁

He had many friends who keep his memory alive in their hearts!
sherm784 (19 stories) (27 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-14)
Haha. Loved the story and that is an awesome title. It sounds like that's him, coming to remind y'all he's around in a funny way.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-02-13)
Hello unquiet,

Apologies for being a bit late to the Rock Concert.

I'm so happy that your son considered that the situation was "pretty cool", and your title says it all.

In 1980, I was devastated when I learned that Bon Scott (ACDC) and John Bonham (Led Zeppelin) had died, in similar circumstances to Jimmy Hendrix, ten years before. A wise friend told me to remember and honor them, ensuring they would live forever in peoples' hearts.

While reading your account, a picture of a T-Shirt, mounted in a picture frame, hanging on a wall, kept trying to push itself forward to get my attention. If you or your son still have that t-shirt, have you ever considered having it framed and mounted?

I'll close with a famous Tommy Lee Jones quote from Men In Black - "Elvis is not dead, he just went home".

Rex-T
unquiet (4 stories) (16 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-12)
Hi Melda, so glad you enjoyed it! I did tell my son and he thought it was pretty cool, not afraid at all. My brother was very intelligent and mischievous, it would be very much like his character to provide a sign like the one in the story.

My son loves ghost stories and music as well so maybe my brother picked him for that reason. There is one other odd music-related event in connection with my brother & son that happened shortly after my brother's death that I'll share soon.

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice to hear others opinions of an incident.😊
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-02-11)
unquiet - I just love the inscription on that T-shirt! The T-shirt had belonged to your brother and his nephew was wearing it for the first time - that's what you call acknowledgement 😆

Did you tell your son about this incident and if so, what was his reaction?

This is my kind of ghost story!

Regards, Melda

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: