You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Helpful Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Helpful Ghost

 

I live in a two bedroom apartment in a suburb of Portland, Oregon. One afternoon, on returning from the store with an armload of groceries, I started the usual ritual of unlocking my front door. There is a deadbolt above, and a key lock in the knob beneath it, and I keep the key, which fits both, on a lanyard around my neck. I had turned the deadbolt, and before I could remove the key and insert it in the knob beneath, the knob turned first left, then right, as it would if someone were unlocking and opening the door from the inside. Thinking that my neighbor John, who has a key, had come over to finish some work he had begun on the previous day, I expected to see him when I pushed the door open. There was no one on the other side of the door... But the atmosphere was electric and there was a strong impression that someone had just been there. I called out but received no answer.

Putting down the bags of groceries, I immediately went to the phone and dialed John's number. To my great surprise, he answered, and I asked him to come over quickly and help me search for a possible intruder. I want to make it clear at this point that the front door, near which I was standing the entire time, was the only way in or out of the apartment, as the back door to the patio and adjacent parking lot had been temporarily blocked. John arrived about a minute later, and together we searched the premises: every nook, cranny, and corner... But there was no sign of an intruder or anyone else to be found anywhere.

It is most likely only a coincidence, but I learned, several months later, that a previous tenant, an elderly lady known for her helpful nature and numerous kindnesses toward her neighbors, had passed away in the apartment about a decade before I moved in.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, UncleNathan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

UncleNathan (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
Thanks for your kind responses! Nothing has happened since this incident, but I am not at all frightened by it... Just curious! I'll keep everyone posted on any possible future encounters!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
UncleNathan, nice experience indeed. I hope that there is nothing to get scared about this entity or spirit. Thanks for sharing. I love the way it was explained and narrated.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
UncleNathan - I loved your story and made it one of my favorites. I also love having housemates who are considerate and lend a helping hand, even when it scares the crap out of me😆

Since granny very kindly gave you the link to two of my stories about the helpful ghosts in my home, I'm going to give you the link to another. This ghost had a soft spot for my little boy while we lived in her home:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=9750

Granny, thank you 😉
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
UncleNathen: I love these kinds of stories!...Since she won't do it, I'm going to toot Miracles' horn for her, and suggest you read these... Very similar to your experience... Thank you for posting!

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=10789

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=10810
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
UncleNathan:
Looks like Raftingirl has a good point. Your appartments kind former tenant saw you had a big arm full of your groceries and wanted to help you out with getting in your place without any problems.

I think its fantastic... Your very lucky to have such a helpful ghost around. I think we all could do with this kind of ghostly help every now and then.

Kind Regards,
MsWrestlersGhost.
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
Dear Uncle Nathan,

I reckon that is quite a happy story if she is as kind as believed to be:)

I'd love to hear any more incidents that occur. Looks like someone is looking out for you.

Warm regards,
Sue ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: