You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandpa Ignacius... The Clown:

Real Ghost Stories

Grandpa Ignacius... The Clown:

 

This is the story of how my favourite Grandpa, my mum Annalissa's dad, and how he still let's me know he's still around and loves me. Even though he died some 15 years ago this year.

Due to overwhelming tears with my prior stories, I am issuing a "Tissue Alert". I don't want a flood warning to come into effect.

Ok, so here we go. My Grandpa Ignacius, or Grandpa Iggy as we all called him, was different from a lot of grandpa's in the world. He was a CLOWN! Yes, a REAL clown. Not just a very funny grandpa, though he was that too, and very kind. He spoiled me rotten and I was his favourite.

My Grandpa Iggy had had a very rough start to life. He was born very, very poor to hard working Mexican farmers, my Great-Grandparents Solomon and Nicola. They had 15 children, 11 only lived to be adults. Iggy was number 14, and the last one who lived to make it to adulthood. The last child, another son, died soon after birth. Sadly Great-Granny Nicola died when Grandpa Iggy was 10. He grew up in a small farming community called Hallieous (sp?) not far from Juarez. He didn't know what TV was until he came to the USA at nearly 25 and grew up with no electricity, running water, indoor toilet or phone. In fact no one in his town had a phone. They had to ride a horse or drive if they had a car to the next town over, which was bigger to use a phone or get a policeman if one was needed.

When he was 15 his family moved to Mexico City so his father and new stepmother Janina could get better work, as the farm went broke due to a drought for so many years.

My Grandpa Iggy hated school. He was dyslexic and the teachers gave him a hard time and he would often come home and cry at night. With a lot of his older siblings working he asked my G. Grandpa Solomon if he could leave school and get a job. Solomon agreed, as he knew how much Iggy struggled in school and promised to help him get work.

Soon Grandpa Iggy was working with G. Grandpa Solomon in a factory making body parts for cars. Iggy liked the job and loved working with his dad as they were very close and shared the same birthday (April 28th). Iggy got his apprenticeship as a metal machinist four years later and the family was very proud. He would have stayed working there had it not been for a trip to the circus on his birthday on his 21st birthday. And I wouldn't be here if he didn't go either.

My Grandpa Iggy was taken to the circus by his parents and his two sisters Christine (whom I'm named for) and Angela (whom my baby sister is named for). Iggy loved the circus, especially the clowns. They made him laugh and forget about being so poor for a little while. Even though he had a good job, it wasn't long after the war and no one had much money.

For days after he'd gone to the circus, Iggy was smiling. He told everyone about the clowns and how much he'd love to be one. Everyone laughed at him and told him to not be silly. My Great-Grandpa Solomon told him to get his head out of the clouds. He was angry Iggy wanted to leave a good job.

Grandpa Iggy didn't listen to them, and next year when the circus returned my grandpa went to talk to the boss about working for them and the boss gave him a job as a peanut and drink seller. And the man who had the elephants told him he could pay Iggy to help him feed and wash them. So Iggy packed his few possessions in his old car and joined the P.T. Barnham Circus. He enjoyed the work but bugged the boss to do more and the boss said he'd talk to the clowns as Iggy wanted to be a clown. Soon Iggy was training to be a clown and he would do short appearances in the acts soon after he became a fully signed on clown and acted under the name "Iggy Mash the Wonder Juggler." He could juggle 12 balls at once. He also breathed fire and did knife throwing. He was very talented and the kids loved him.

The circus became his new family as circus people do. Especially when he met his wife, my grandma Eloisa, a full-blooded Sioux, who worked as the horse trainer for the circus and rode the horses in costume in the ring. (It's were I get my love for horses, I think). In two years they got married and while working they had 5 children, including my mother Annalissa the oldest of the 5 who trained with her mum and by the age of 6 was riding in the ring with my grandma Eloisa on the horses and her pony Nipper, a white Shetland pony.

They stayed in the circus until my grandma had a accident and broke her legs badly when her horse JJ fell on her doing a trick. And they retired from the circus near its winter home in Florida.

My mum and her sister and brothers went to school and did well. My grandma got a job training show-jumpers and eventing horses... And grandpa had two jobs, one as a sheet welder (like his old factory job) and his beloved work... Doing children's parties as the famous "Iggy Mash" with the now outgrown Nipper the Wonder Pony and Dash the Fox Terrier as his side kicks. Kids loved him and he could settle any crying baby or any shy or nervous kid he'd make his assistant at parties. He rarely had time off.

For the rest of his life he spent being a welder during the day and a clown on weekends. He lived to he was 72 years old and died from cancer and heart problems with possible diabetes problems too as he had diabetes since he was 12. My family was at a loss. Our patriarch was gone. Our funny man who always made us feel on top of the world.

At his funeral nearly 900 people turned up. Including his nearly 100 year old former circus boss. It was an interesting site. Circus performers did a show... A ringmater who was a registered priest presided over it all. The newspaper obits had FOUR columns dedicated to him 3 days straight. And of course I was there. I didn't hardly stop crying the whole week. We mourned him with visitors and then the funeral and wake. I thought my heart would break. And I cried until I had no more tears. My best friend was gone and I had no one to tell me funny stories and scary tales anymore. Iggy was so great at that.

It wasn't long before I had to go back to England for work and college (last year of study). As my final Art thesis, I decided to make a painting dedicated to Grandpa Iggy. It was a split portrait of a normal looking Grandpa Iggy looking into a mirror, the reflection showing him in his clown costume and make-up. It got a A+ and 98%... My teacher told me that the papers I wrote with it about my grandpa made her cry. And she was a hard teacher to please. I think Iggy helped. He always encouraged my creative arts.

As I was busy working and at college my heart was trying to heal. Each night I'd pray to God that Iggy was safe and was well again... I cried all the time at night and talked to him like he was still there, wishing he was there to joke around like we used to.

One night after prayers, I was crying and saying I wished I could go and be with him cause it hurt so much. I was sitting on my bed in the dorm and had a photo of him in a frame on my lap, when suddenly I heard a big loud laugh and I could smell the greasepaint that clowns use in shows. The smell and the laughter floated around me for about a minute and was gone in a flash.

That's when I realized the laugh and the smell was familiar. It was the way my Grandpa Iggy sounded and smelled when he was doing a show. He had obviously heard me crying and in his own way, the way I'

D notice him best, let me know he was ok.

For the next week, every night just before 11 pm, for a few seconds the same laughter and greasepaint smell would turn up, float around me like he'd run around me in a circle and was gone. By the end of the week I stopped feeling so bad because I knew he still loved me. And would always still be there if I needed to talk to him.

Every now and then still to this day, nearly 15 years later, I have nights where I wake up to that joyous laughter and the smell of grease paint. Just for a minute. Always around 11 pm.

Thank you Grandpa Iggy. The great Iggy Mash. Ignacius Roberto Solomon DeFlores - Martinus. The greatest Clown in Heaven. The best Grandpa too. Rest in Peace, Grandpa Iggy. I'm still trying to juggle.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MsWrestlersGhost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
I'm really perturbed by this. I thought this was a really sweet story and since I'm at work when I get the chance to read new stories on the site I don't always get the chance to research it's validity. It just stinks when you find out you're being lied to for ABSOLUTLEY NO GOOD REASON! A thanks to the mods and other posters for snuffing this one out. Seems like there have been quite a few BS stories floating around lately -hopefully these op's will find something better to do with themselves. 😠
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Rook, I haven't had chance to check out all of them yet, but I'll get there...eventually.

Yeah, time will tell! πŸ˜‰
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Just one? I've got two... No 3 out of this new batch. One I've already commented on... The other two... Well I'm just going to wait and see.

Respectfully,

Rook
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Fergie: LOL! Great minds and all...Yep, I know just the one you're talking about πŸ˜†...Glad to see the radars are up and runnin'...And come to think of it, my arms are a little sore this morning πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
LMAO Granny, I noticed the spree earlier... That was a lot of flinging you did. Are your arms sore today? Lol

Hope you have spare blankies, I have my eye on another 'suspect', a newbie! πŸ˜‰
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Fergie: I went on a "BS Blankie flinging spree" yesterday πŸ˜†...There are others who deserve kudos for their research as well, but I'd rather not mention them by name...That's one thing about our community, we may have our differences, but we can smell BS from a mile away πŸ˜†
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Lol Granny,
I also tried the google bit on this one... I was extremely amused/amazed when all I got was "Moshi Monsters". Having visited this site with my granddaughter.

The red flag went up for me, when I noticed the prolific amount of stories... A veritable flood! And the too 'glib' replies to questions. What a waste of talent though... Maybe s/he will find their 'niche' elsewhere.

Good work granny! πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
"Ignacius" is the English version of the Hispanic name "Ignatio"...And, if you Google "Iggy Mash", all you'll find is a character from a website game for kids that also sells trading cards...He's a little blue monster who eats stuff... There is not, nor has there ever been, an "Iggy Mash The Wonder Juggler", a "Nipper The Wonder Pony", or a Mexican man named "Ignacius"...

When "Iggy" ran away and joined the circus, it had been renamed to "Ringling Bros and Barnum and Bailey", for probably decades...

If he had indeed had such a glowing obituary, Google would have found it...

Blankie #3, flung...
Dreamerxx (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-21)
MsWrestlersGhost thanks for your comments and reading your story and your comment to me has really made me smile and I've sat here tonight and talked to my Grandad and remembered all the fun times we had I hope he has heard me 😊 Thanks again 😊
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-21)
JoyBells:
Yes, Grandpa Iggy did have a big heart. He was also kind and gentle. Kids loved him, he could settle any crying baby and make the shyest child at the party soon act like the most outgoing. I never saw him get angry or upset, it just wasn't in his nature.
When I think of him now, I think of that big burly steel worker who in just a little time could become one of the funniest people in the world... All by putting on a bit of greasepaint and his clown costume.
It was funny however by nature he was very shy and reserved... That was until he became the great Iggy Mash. I can still see him in my heart... Juggling 12 balls and telling his famous squashed Dinasaur jokes... Long story. And when I remeber a full joke correctly I will post it.

Geetha 50:
What your Grandma said was so right. Still stop the hurt any quicker sadly... But it does make it feel a bit easier knowing he is in a good place and with his own beloved parents and siblings long crossed over.

Thankyou for having me in your prayers... I really appreciate that... And now too you will be in mine.

Grandpa Iggy, I'm sure would have loved to meet you... And all the other posters who have been so nice... He always loved to meet and entertain new friends.

Its so sad that you never got to meet your grandpa's... I'm sure though that they love you still and watch over you...

Dreamerxx:
Thankyou so much for favouriting my story... And I'm glad you were happy I posted a tissue warning... It was only fair I did. After the amount of tears I caused last time.

Im sure too that your beloved Grandpa still is watching over you. He'll always be there for you just as he was in life. Memories of all the care, love and good times you had with him will always keep him alive in your heart too... Just a little bit more.

Many Thankyou's Again:
MsWrestlersGhost.
Dreamerxx (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-21)
MsWrestlersGhosts Thanks for the tissue warning Your story is so lovingly written I can feel how much it hurt to loose him and to have him come back the way you remember him is so heartwarming. I love my Grandad dearly and I lost him 18 years ago and I would love nothing more than to know he's happy and still thinks of me as I do of him. This is going into my favorites ❀ Look forward to more stories from you 😊
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-21)
First of all sorry for your loss. You have lost so many loved ones. My grandmother always said that if God took something away from you, he will always give it back in some other form. Don't worry, you will be okay and I will keep you in my prayers.

Your grandfather seemed like an exciting guy. To bad I couldn't meet him. I never personally met my grandfathers on both sides as they passed before I was born and when my parents were young. So listening to these stories kind of makes me happy and sad at the same time.
JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-21)
I really loved this story! Unfortunately I was never close to any of my gradparents, both my grandpas died when I was too young to remember, one Grandma was a recluse and didn't like visitors too much, and the other Grandma (well that's a long story); anyway I mention this because it makes me think how wonderful your relationship with your Grandpa must have been. He sounded like he had a big heart. Thank you soo much for sharing this experience it was really heartfelt! Instant Fave!
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-21)
Zzsgranny:
Its ok... No need for an appology... I have had a rough time... My dog Shandi had to have emergancy surgery today... She has to stay a couple of days... I'm just so scared of loosing her... And Zeus her brother is going crazy, running around and stressed out too... I appologise if I sounded a bit rough and over the top... I'm just scared and very worried. I'm usually not like this.

Appologies,
MsWrestlersGhost.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-21)
MsWrestlersGhost: Sorry, didn't mean to drag up unpleasant memories, but it was a simple question, and a simple answer would have sufficed...I'm sorry for your losses 😒
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-21)
Zzsgranny:
I appologise I didn't mention Angela, my sister was born still born in August 1985. I didn't think it would be appropriate to put up the still born babies on my profile. As I know there are people here who have lost babies to still birth and I wasn't sure that with the guidelines on posting that it would be fine.
By babies I mean that at age 21 years old in 1997... With use of a donor I got pregnant... With determination to look after and raise a child by myself I was over the moon. I have always felt that Lesbians like myself have a right to raise a child.

All was fine until I had two weeks to go when I collapsed at home and was rushes to hospital... Due to a lot of problems way too personal to mention here... I woke from theatre to find my son had be born stillbirth. And due to serious bleeding I had to have a hysterectomy to save my own life.

Ok. Sorry I didn't want to unintentionally upset people. I was willing to answer any questions like your when the time came... I don't like to intentionally hurt people's feelings.

Story dedicated to:
SISTER: Angela Bernadette Michelle Baheajlzie.
MY SON: Shane Ignacius Solomon Baheajlzie.

Kind Regards,
MsWrestlersGhost.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-21)
MsWrestlersGhosts: Cool experiences... But funny enough, the only question I have is why isn't your baby sister Angela mentioned in your bio on your profile? 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: