You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Shadow Man In The Old Farm House

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow Man In The Old Farm House

 

This event took place in southern Missouri, just north of Springfield, during the spring of 2011. During this time, my husband was living in Wisconsin, about an hour outside of Milwaukee. We had barely been married for a year and were struggling with the stresses that come with a mid-term miscarriage. I had moved into the house that my mother and her husband were renting at the time.

It was an old farm house, built in the late 1890's. Improvements hadn't been made to this house since the 1970's, so my step-father replaced the floor in the kitchen, repaired the plumbing, and the A/C unit. After that is when I started noticing strange things. For example; cold spots, strange sounds at night, a very uneasy feeling when entering the dining room at night, feelings of not being alone and being watched when I was the only one in the house, foot steps going up and down the stairs, coughing sounds, the smell of cigarette smoke in the dining room.

I didn't really think to much about it until one fateful night. I was lying in bed, having just gotten off the phone with my husband. The lights were off so the room was dark, aside from the occasional passing car which fully illuminated my room because two of the four walls in my room were mostly made up of windows that faced the main road, which was about 20 feet from the house (My bed being in the only corner, so when I lied down I was facing the windows).

I wasn't feeling anything out of the ordinary at that moment and was just relaxing, playing around on my phone, waiting for sleep to come. At that moment, a car goes by and lights up my room. I looked towards the windows and right there, plain as the nose on my face, was a shadow man standing in the center of my room, staring at me. I wanted to scream, but I was frozen stiff.

The Shadow Man In The Old Farm House

The moment I saw it, I felt like it knew I could see it because it was just standing there and when I looked at it, it moved toward me. Quickly regaining control of my limbs, I skittered and placed my back against the wall at the side of my bed. Just as the light was about to disappear, I saw it walk across the room and walk through my dresser that was right next to the head of my bed and went through the wall.

This wasn't the only experience that I had in that house, but was by far the most extreme. I never saw anything like that again while living there, but I continued to hear things and was even touched once. Until one night, I was sitting on the edge of my bed surfing the web on my laptop. The whole house was deathly quiet, the only sound being the clicking of my mouse.

All of a sudden, I started to hear what sounded like whispers coming through the old intake vent that was right next to the head of my bed, just above my dresser. I knew that my parents were asleep because it was close to 4am. I started hearing what sounded like someone walking up and down the stairs that were just on the other side of the wall next to my bed.

I knew no one would be going up there because there was only one room at the top of the stairs and it was being used as storage space. I walked into the living room and peaked into the dining room (where the source of sound would have been coming from for me to hear it through the intake vent). I didn't see anything and my parents were still in bed.

I went back into my room and sat back on my bed and just shrugged it off, thinking maybe there was an animal on the roof or something since we lived in a rural farming community. A few minutes later, I was still on my computer when I started feeling like there was someone standing right in front of me. My bedroom light was on, so there was no question that there was no one there.

I looked around the room for a moment, setting my laptop aside. I just sat there in the quiet for a little bit, waiting for something to happen. That's when I started hearing the whispers again, but they were closer. Like they were coming from inside the furnace. I listened as hard as I could, but I never made out any discernible words.

Just then, I felt all the physical sensations that one would feel if there were someone right in your face, screaming at you. I never saw anyone or heard more than a whisper, but it sincerely felt like there was someone standing in front and over me, screaming at me. It felt like it wanted me to leave.

By this time, I was fed up with being messed with in my own room. I threw my hands down, pushed myself off of my bed and said, 'Ya know what? I've had enough!' I walked out of my room and grabbed the burning sage that I had gotten my step-father for Christmas. I walked back into my room, lit one of the leaves and placed it in a sea shell.

I walked all around my room, letting the smoke billow up into the corners while repeating the phrase, 'I fill this room with light and love and cast out all negative energy.' After that night all activity stopped. I only lived there for 5 months, but they were the most paranormal months of my life.

Other hauntings by spookykitty13

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spookykitty13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
Spookkitty, thank you for your clarification.
Yes, it is wise to not get scared, but sometimes one just does. We're all humans (I think...:-).
Like I said, good of you to stay so calm.

With the picture: I'm still 'on the fence'. Sorry. You wrote that you made more pictures, could you post them as well?
spookykitty13 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
zzsgranny,

From the direction I was facing when I took the picture, the only thing behind that window would be a wall. I see what you are looking at though, and the only thing I can guess is that maybe it's my reflection but I'm not sure. I was standing a good 30-40 feet away.

Isolde

No, it hadn't rained, but there was a storm front moving in and it did rain later that night. And no, the lens wasn't dirty, I can guarantee that. I'm an amateur photographer and I take pride in my cameras, so I make sure that they're clean and take several test shots before every shoot.

As for your other question, at the time of that particular event I had been there for about 3 months already and was used to the odd feelings that I would get in the house at night. Also, this was after I had seen the shadow man and after that I would have to really see something to get that kind of scared again. Mostly I would just try to ignore them, but when spirits start to really make you uncomfortable it does no good to be scared. That just fuels the fire. You have to get mad with a serious righteous anger and reclaim your space to make them leave. I've had to do the same thing on a few other occasions.
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
Oh, I do have a question. Just want to say that I think you're very brave. You are in a rather unfamiliar house in which you experience quite some unusual happenings. That night you hear footsteps, whispers, feeling someone screaming at you, and you just stay really cool and calm, get the sage.
How come you were not afraid? You are/were accostumed to these kind of experiences?
(respectfully)
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
First of all: sorry about the loss of your little one. Secondly, I have no questions concerning your story. I have no reasons to disbelieve.
But about the picture. Could the orbs just be from a dirty lense or raindrops (due to a mild rain)? I've pictures looking like that but that is for those reasons.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
spookykitty: Um, orbs aside, I feel I have to ask you whether there are bushes/shrubs on the opposite side of the house that would show through the window? I ask because in the first window on the front of the house there appears, to me, to be a human shaped shadow?
spookykitty13 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
Thank you JennZ

That picture is just one of the MANY pictures I took that day. Just about every one of them had at least 5 or 6 orbs, but that particular pic was the best one of the house and actually showed what I believe is the spirit that stayed in the house. Capturing it really freaked me out at the time.
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Im really sorry too... And that picture has orbs all over! Wow cool pic!
spookykitty13 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Thank you NewHunter, only a parent could understand the hardships that come with losing a child. It takes a very long time to deal with the loss and feelings of emptiness. When this took place, it had been 8-9 months since the miscarriage. I admit, I wasn't over it but I was better than a few months prior. I did forget to mention that the house was previously owned by an old woman that lived there for the majority of her life and had died about a year before my parents moved into the house. Also, there was a cemetery less than half a mile up the road and the previous owner of the house was actually buried in that cemetery. My parents were also at the beginnings of a divorce, so there was A LOT of negativity in that house which makes me think that the owner really didn't want us in her house and I think that I may have attracted something other than the old woman because the shadow figure that I saw in my room looked like the shadow of a man and felt like the presence of a man.
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
First and foremost I would like to say I am sorry to hear of your miscarriage. I enjoyed reading the story and I believe as you said "struggling with the stresses that come with a mid-term miscarriage" that this is probably what either caused or at least fueled the paranormal activity. You were, I'm sure extremely streesed and saddened and at a level that I can only imagine, I have never been there but my daughter was close to not surviving birth, and with those levels I would guess some entity would be attracted.
spookykitty13 (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-10)
I would just like to point out, if you look at the picture included with this story you'll see an orb in one of the front windows of the house. That was my room.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: