You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Old Graveyard

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Graveyard

 

My brother and i, plus our daughters, decided to have a weekend away in an olde worlde village staying in a 200yr old inn, whilst there, we saw a notice board with a ghost walk advertised on it, we thought it would be a bit of fun, and agreed to go on it.

When we turned up at the alloted time at the meeting place, which was in front of the old disused graveyard, we were surprised that no one else was there, I asked a young girl passing by if she knew anything about it, she told us it was only on a Friday night that the event took place, and this was Saturday evening, disappointed that we had missed it, we decided to go and have a couple of drinks for dutch courage and have our own ghost walk...

Feeling brave, probably because of the alcohol, we entered the graveyard, it felt peaceful, and not at all scary, my brother started taking photographs, they looked a bit eerie, but we didn't feel too worried, my brother then wandered off on his own taking snaps as he went. We could see the flash on his camera going off accross the graves, but couldn't see him, because the headstones were very high, some were over 7 foot tall.

Suddenly, he came running back to where we were standing, saying,"oh my god, look what I have captured", upon looking at the display screen on his camera, we could see several really bright orbs, one of them was enormous!

He asked us all to come with him while he took more snaps, after a bit of persuading we followed him to the other side of the graveyard where he carried on snapping, he again caught the enormous bright orb, we were looking at the image on his camera, when my daughter said "ohhh what's that" we all looked round, and saw what appeared to be three figures, wearing old fashioned clothing, they appeared to be shimmering, and were floating about a foot off the ground.

Although we were shocked, non of us really felt afraid, "take a photo of them" I said to my brother, but, to my disbelieif, he started to walk away, back towards the entrance, all he would say was "we have outstayed our welcome, come on,"

Once we reached the old pathway, he let us all go in front, telling us to be careful not to slip on the wet leaves that littered the ground, we were making our way out in silence, when my brother said in a loud voice, "it spoke to me, go" we all ran as fast as we could, once out of the graveyard, I asked him what he was playing at, telling us to take our time and be careful, then scaring us like that, he replied "ohh sis, as we passed the big oak tree, there was a voice right in my ear, a really nasty voice, it just said one word, (hoy) but it was a really deep menacing voice, it was horrible. I am sorry, but I simply said we needed to go back there because some thing behind me seemed to be telling me to get out, I didn't want to scare you three, that's why I simply said we had outstayed our welcome."

The Old Graveyard 1
The Old Graveyard 2
The Old Graveyard 3
The Old Graveyard 4
 
The Old Graveyard 5
 

Since that night, we have joined a para investigation team, and have been back there a few times, I have some amazing photos that we have taken, and would love to upload them for others to see and maybe comment on.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, freespirit43, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sparkie (6 stories) (30 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
As much as this is compelling, I have to point out that the mist in the pictures look very much like smoke. In image 5 I can tell that the person is in a coat which would mean its cold out there. Now, depending on the temperatures, it could very well be someone's breath. Not saying it is or isn't, just pointing out the possibilities.

Image 4 shows a bright "orb" that appears to be moving. That just appears to be a bug flying around. Bugs tend to be attracted to light (the flash on the camera). Also, when the flash went off, it reflected off of the bug. Very common.

As for the other "orbs", they appear to just be dust particles or such. Orbs are really hard to classify as something paranormal because of how similar they look to normal dust particles that are in the air. And being that you're outside, you probably kicked up some dirt and such when you were walking around which would explain the orbs in the pictures.

I'm not saying that's what these pictures are because I'm definitely not a ghost hunter or anything, just stating what I know and how similar they look to said occurrences.

-Sparkie
BattleScars (3 stories) (44 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
Hello,

I just want to rule out 2 possibilities, if you can answer back, it would be good.

1. Who ever took the picture, does he/she smoke? If so, I have to say that the "ghostly apparitions" are actually in fact smoke.

2. Was anyone carrying a torch? Sometimes insects or a stone can reflect and it makes it look like it's shiny.

Good pictures though.

The 3 ghostly figures could be indeed residual hauntings

Best of Luck

BattleScars
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
I see the 'figure' but I'm not sure it was a spirit. I'm not sure if you've heard of matrixing [I think that's the spelling]...basically its your mind tricking you into seeing recognizable shapes, eg a praying figure, in indistinct surroundings, like darkness, mist, or the snow on your television. Did you rule out this possibility about the figure?
Narella (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
I agree with RedWolf. Hunting ghosts in a graveyard is disrepectful and a good way to end up with an unwanted roomate. 😢
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-11)
Not to put a damper on anything, but the form at the right of the second photo, looks like a so-called orb, a tree trunk and a light in the background. In total, very eerie, and could be interpreted as a tall, monk-like figure. I do not think it is a figure, however.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Great story and amazing pictures!
Thank you for sharing!
505050
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Thank you for the story and the pictures. It is always great to see pictures and these were fantastic. I must say however that the second picture looks like it may be a real person who just got caught in the photo. The rest however are great.

Thanks,z eta.
JennZ (72 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
The second pic is Amazing! Your right, it looks like someone praying.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
freespirit
Great story and fantastic pictures. But may I suggest you stay out of graveyards? I am a firm believer that graveyards are not the place to go ghost hunting. First they are hallowed grounds and second it is disrespectful of final resting places hence the growls.
I am a psychic/medium and refuse to go to graveyards to see if there are any ghosts. No real paranormal group would investigate a graveyard. Of course you are going to find spirits.
You should keep your ghost hunting to very old buildings that have a reputation of paranormal activity. BUT always say a prayer of protection before any ghost hunting so no spirits can attach themselves to you.
Years ago I was at a friends house with my toddler daughter as she had a son a few months younger. My friend lived on the second floor apartment of her in-laws house which was over 100 years old. Every time I went into her sons room I felt the strong feeling of being watched. One day I could take it no longer and asked my friend if there had been any deaths in the house. She turned white as a sheet and told me yes, her husband had a brother and a sister die. She told me how they died and wanted to know why I asked. I told her not to worry they were there to watch over her son, 😁. This freaked her out and asked if they would hurt anyone. I told her only if someone tried to hurt her little family. 😆
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
amazing pictures... I can see a lot of faces in the third picture...
freespirit43 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Hi Aishling, No,it,s not one of us, all five of us were making our way out, when my friend saw the figure by the headstone, I could see it too, I just aimed and snapped, and that's what I got, I was zooming it in on my camera when I heard the first growl, (see my answer above) when we looked again it had gone.
freespirit43 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Hi Fergie, Thats ok, I don, t mind the questions. Yes, I do feel my brother may have caused the seemingly angry spirit, and, yes it was the same place, and no, he wasn, t with me when I took my own snaps, it was in November 2012 when I last went there, this time with my daughter and three friends,
That,s when the above snaps were taken.
The second one was taken when two of us saw a figure by the headstone on the right, it seened to be praying, if you zoom in on it a figure can clearly be seen, it appears to be looking at us,
we beat a hasty retreat that night, when we heard 2 deep growls in the same spot by the tree where my brother heard the voice, after the first one I convinced everyone to stay put to make sure we weren, t imagining it, after a few minutes we heard it again, this time louder, I swear that is the only time I have ever run away! And I have experienced many strange things, for instance I had my face stroked in the crypt at Oxford castle, that shocked me, I flicked my torch on real quick! But there was nothing there... But it doesn, t compare to actually hearing a voice, that really scares you.
Aishling (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Whats that in the second picture to the right? Is that just someone that was with you?
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-09)
Oh my, freespirit! I always thought that graveyards were such peaceful places!

Do you think that your brother angered the guardian of the cemetery, by taking snaps? Was this the same place that you went back to? Did your brother accompany you, when you took your own snaps? Was anything heard on subsequent visits?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is very intriguing.

Thank you for sharing. I have visited many old graveyards in England and Scotland, they are extremely interesting.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: