You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: In-laws

Real Ghost Stories

In-laws

 

My name is Pete, I live in South Australia. The first ghost experience I had was when I was 14 in Victoria (about 700 kilometers from Adelaide) in a suburb of Ringwood. My eldest sister was living there with her soon-to-be husband. The house they were living at belonged to her future husband's parents. It was a big house with 4 rooms and a pool at the back. Anyway, they sent out invitations weeks ago to family and friends to join them for an engagement party (I arrived there 4 days before the party).

On the first day I arrived everything was normal. My brother-in-law picked me up and took me to their place. My sister was running around getting things organized. Later that night, about 11:30 pm on a Friday, my sister and her husband were in the kitchen preparing for the party and I was just sitting there getting tired so I decided to go to bed. So I said, "Goodnight" and went to the room that I was given to me.

The room was right at the end of the hallway. It was spacious and had a large king-sized bed. I went in, closed the door behind me and checked it to make sure it was shut. Anyway I got changed into pj's, brushed my teeth and sat in the middle of the bed reading a comic. About half an hour had passed and I was still reading my comic, then the door opened just slightly. I thought nothing of it and went to the door and pushed it shut again (I made sure the door was closed). I started to walk towards the bed then the door opened again, but a lot wider this time, I looked at myself in the dresser mirror and thought, "This is odd," so went back to the door closed it again and just stood there looking at it. While looking at it, it opened again. This time I put all my weight against the door trying to close it, but something on the other side of the door wanted in. While I was leaning against it, I peeped around to see if anybody was there but no one was seen, but I could hear breathing and the room went cold.

This time my mind was doing flips. I didn't know what was going on. I got really scared and started to screamed. After screaming for a minute, I could hear loud footsteps coming from the hall. It was my brother-in-law and he was looking mad and asked me what the hell was going on. I couldn't speak, I was on the floor shaking. Then my sister followed him and after a bit I told her what happened. She didn't say anything but she said that I could stay in their room.

The next morning I awoke and having remembered what happened the night before, I ran out of the house in my pj's. No one was home, my sister was out shopping and her husband was at work. I was walking around the backyard and not daring to go inside, but I was looking through the double glass door and I was looking into the lounge room. And on the armchair I saw some opaque white figure sitting on the armchair. I thought it was the reflection of the sun so I rubbed my eyes and looked again and it was still there. While watching this thing, it stood up from the armchair, done a stretch and started to glide towards me. I freaked out and ran around the shed about 3 times.

At this time, the mother-in-law came from the neighbour's yard and asked me what I was doing. I told her that I was chasing cats. She told me that they run too fast for me to catch.

Anyway, after the engagement party was over my sister and her husband told me that his father died in the house few years back from stomach cancer and that I was not the only one to have seen him or felt his presence.

That place was sold a few months later. I still think that place is haunted and I feel sorry for the people who bought it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tsarpete, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
Seems to me that your sister and brother-in-law should have put you in a different room, especially if they had witnessed other happenings in that area. 2 + 2 does equal 4 on my calculator also Miracles 😉 so I do believe that the grandfather was trying to get into his bedroom and probably was quite appalled that there was a youngster of 14 reading comic books on his bed!

Zeta.
Narella (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
I started laughing when I read the comment about chasing cats. I wish I could have seen her expression when you told her that! You certainly had an interesting introduction to the paranormal. I hope your other experiences have been less frightening.
MoonFall (1 stories) (48 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
Chasing cats? That was cute! 😆

I'm sorry you had such a frightening experience. Have your relatives seen the father-in-law present anywhere else? I am, however, sorry for his passing. I'm sure his intent was not to harm you, but scary nonetheless!
😨
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
tsarpete - I imagine at 14 that must have scared the crap out of you 😨.

Did your sister or brother-in-law ever say if the room you slept in was the room his dad slept or died in? Or even spent a lot of time in?

It just seems as if someone, and I'm guessing it may have been his dad, was very insistent upon getting into the room you were sleeping in. And considering it had a king-sized bed in it. Well, sometimes 2 + 2 does add up to 4. Not always, though, and especially when I add 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: