You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Experiences At My In-laws'

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Experiences At My In-laws'

 

I found this site a few days ago and have debated sending my story in, but have decided it can't hurt. Just a little back information. I have always been a little sensitive and have seen things and experienced things I couldn't explain since childhood. I had thought I had lost my sensitivity when I was around 17, since I hadn't seen or experienced anything in a while, but apparently I was wrong.

My experiences happened at my mother and father-in-law's home, which is a second home to me. It all started not long after I became pregnant with my son at 19. My now husband, who was just my boyfriend at the time, and I were at his parents' house. He still lived at home and I lived with my mom at the time a couple blocks away.

I was spending the night, and we had been watching movies with his youngest brother, who was 16 at the time. Their parents were at the trailer with the dog and the middle brother was at his girlfriend's for the weekend. It was around ten at night when the boys decided they wanted some McDonald's, so they hopped in the truck and headed to the nearest McD's, which is about a ten minute drive away. I knew I was home alone, I had watched everyone leave that day. I muted the TV and settled down into the couch with a magazine.

Now my in-laws' house is what I like to call a "shot gun house", meaning when you walk in the front door you are directly in the living room and you can see straight through the house to the back door. You can see all the bedroom doors, as well as the bathroom door and the stairs to the basement. The only lights on in the house were the two living room lamps and the light on the stove in the kitchen. I knew no one had come into the house.

It was about five minutes after the boys left that I heard a sound. It caught my attention, but since the house was literally the original farm house in the area and easily 90+ years old, I shrugged it off thinking the summer heat was making the wood swell and creak, so I went back to my magazine. About thirty seconds later I heard it again, this time it was clear the sound wasn't wood creaking, it was someone gently strumming a guitar. As I listened it happened again. It was coming from the middle bedroom, the middle brother's room. I laughed thinking ok they got me, he snuck back in the house at some point. I got up and knocked on the door. No answer but I could still hear the strumming. I opened the door and turned on the bedroom light. There was no one in the room and the guitar was zipped into its case in the corner of the room.

At this point I started to get that cold knot in my stomach but I figured there had to be a reasonable explanation. I turned off the light and closed the door and started to check the other rooms, looking for an explanation. All the time the strumming continued. I checked every bedroom, every radio alarm computer, everything including the basement. About ten minutes after it started I still hadn't located a source for the sound. I knew the guys would be back soon, it took less then half an hour to get there and back. But I called my boyfriend anyway asking if maybe someone had left behind a cell phone and the strumming was the ring tone. He was silent for a moment and then told me to just sit tight they were almost home. At this point I was quite freaked out.

When they got back they found every light on and me huddled in a corner of the couch. They explained to me that sometimes strange things happened in their home but that it wasn't a bad ghost or whatever it was, it just liked to make itself known. Once I knew that, I was alright although I was still a bit freaked out. That was my first experience with one of those that shared their home.

Fast forward a year or so. My boyfriend and I bought the house next door to my in-laws. It needed a lot of repairs, it wasn't livable, so us and our now 3 month old son moved in with them. My youngest brother-in-law gave up his room for our son and moved into the basement. Our boy's room was off of the living room, ours was the middle room off of the dining room.

There was never a bad feeling in the home but there was always the feeling that you were never alone. In the middle of the night when I got up to make my son a bottle it always felt like someone was monitoring what I was doing, like they were watching over my shoulder to make sure I was doing it right. I shrugged it off at first, thinking it was a new place really. I was a nervous new mom, I knew there was a presence, I was just imagining it.

One night that changed. My father-in-law loves technology, he always has new gadgets to play with and to him a new baby and their first grandchild was the perfect excuse to buy us one of those new video baby monitors. I love my monitor. I used it for my second child as well, and still have it, but I digress. I mention the monitor because it's important. My son has always been a loud sleeper, he has always made little noises in his sleep, so when he would wake up in the middle of the night, I would watch the monitor to see if he was really waking up.

This one particular night, I thought my stomach was going to drop out of my body. My son woke up at 3 am, I sat up in bed and watched the monitor. As I watched his blanket slowly pulled up and was tucked under his chin. My mouth dropped open. I could see his arms were above his head and his little toes peeked out from the end of the blanket. There was no way he could have kicked his blanket up and have it settle so perfectly over his torso. I jumped up rushed to his room. When I went to open the door I heard a very distinctive "hush hush hush" on the other side of the door. I whipped open the door expecting to find my mother-in-law on the other side but the room was empty. Needless to say I didn't sleep that night, I sat in the rocking chair in his room to see if it would happen again. It didn't, at least not that night. It happened countless times over the ten months we lived there.

It didn't take me long to realize that whoever this spirit was, they were there to watch out for us. I got really sick the summer we lived there. Some sort of virus, my fever spiked at about 105/6 at one point. The family was outside with my son, giving me time to rest. I was dozing in and out of sleep. I was burning up, it was the worst illness I have had in my adult life. It was the middle of the day, my window was open, letting in a warm breeze and some fresh air. I could hear the family outside. I rolled over and was staring at the bedroom door when I felt a weight on the edge of the bed. There was a dent in the blankets. For whatever reason I wasn't scared, I just accepted that someone I couldn't see was sitting on my bed. Something cool touched my forehead and was brushing my hair back from my face. Like I had heard countless times from my son's room I heard "hush hush hush" which was followed by a whisper that said "sleep".

When I woke up that evening I was feeling so much better. I managed to have some dinner, after which I pulled my mother-in-law aside and thanked her for sitting with me that afternoon. I thought that had to be the only explanation. Once I was back to myself I couldn't accept that the resident ghost had soothed me to sleep. My mother-in-law just stared at me before saying she hadn't stepped foot in my room since that morning.

There were also other little things that happened that were strange. The shower was in the basement and no one stayed in there long, it always felt like there was someone standing on the other side of the curtain.

We found my brother-in-law sleeping on the couch one morning. He told his parents he was cold but he told me later that he could see someone standing just outside the light from his lamp and he couldn't sleep. He thought it was me at first and had called out. Didn't take him long to figure out it wasn't me.

Things would get misplaced, electronics turn on and off, as well as lights. Whenever anyone got angry you could here footsteps like someone wearing heavy boots running up and down the basement stairs.

Fortunately my home has no activity, although when ever my son's sick that same calm presence can be felt in his room until he's better. Fortunately I'm not the only one who sees this. Both my brothers-in-law, my sister-in-law and my husband have experienced things.

No one mentioned anything to my sister-in-law when she approached me one day saying that when my brother-in-law was sick she saw a woman in their bedroom who didn't leave until he was better. They weren't living at my in-laws. It took me a few years but I am used to the presence in my in-laws home. We all still laugh about the guitar incident.

I'm sorry it was so long, but it was good to tell our experiences, well some of them, to people outside the family who won't think I'm crazy.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Utopiandream2009, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Charne35 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
Hi,guys! Utopiandream2009, it is always so nice to read such positive stories like yours. I hope you have more in the future
😊 😊
stephyw2001 (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Very nice story! I didn't mind that it was long, it was a good read! Maybe a family member staying behind to watch over everyone?
Utopiandream2009 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
We all feel very fortunate that's for sure:-) even more so after reading some of the experiences on this site
DarkFlames95 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
So lucky to have that experience. In my old house it was being terrorized by demons. Having a good spirit to look after you in a really good thing.

😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
This is such a fantastic experience. Love it! We lived in a house that had a ghost who looked after us when we were sick as well. She was a sweetie.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Sounds very caring and nurturing, indeed. You are blessed! 😊
STARRCHiCC14 (31 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
That was sweet! Sounds like you got a caring/good spirit there. Thank you for sharing!:)
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
That was so sweet. It's nice that you all are comfortable with each other.
Utopiandream2009 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Fortunately we know the grandchildren of the family that built the home, there have been no recorded deaths but they think it might be the original owners wife. After the initial shock it was always nice to know that there is someone looking out for us all:-)
Hahiha (28 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
That was (to state the obvious) a very long story, but very interesting.
SirenBelva (7 stories) (64 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
That's so touching. Have you researched the history of the home? Probably some loving, nurturing lady lived there. ❤ This one went to my favorites.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: