You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Sister-in-law Came Back

Real Ghost Stories

Sister-in-law Came Back

 

This happened 10 years ago back when I was in high school. My family and I lived in a 4 bedrooms ranch style home: 3 bedrooms on the first floor and 1 bedroom in the basement. All of us kids slept in the 3 bedrooms on the first floor and my parents slept in the one down in the basement. My dad worked first shift and left early in morning. My siblings and I left around 7am to catch our bus. My mom worked second shift so she was still sleeping when we all left the house.

One morning after we have all left the house, my mom was still sleeping in her bed and heard something. She tried to open her eyes and could only opened a little bit. She then saw that my deceased sister-in-law was sitting at the foot of her bed. My sister-in-law died in a car accident back in 1995 or 1996. When my sister-in-law was alive, she was really close to my mom. They went shopping and have done almost everything together. My mom cried a lot when my sister-in-law died.

My mom was shocked and scared to see my deceased sister-in-law but she acted as if she was not. She asked my sister-in-law why she was there and she said she came to see my mom because she heard my mom was sick. At the time my mom was under the flu and wasn't feeling well.

With their bedroom in the basement, it was a bit dark so my mom decided to go up to the living room to get more sunlight as she was pretty scared by then. She got up of bed and was standing by her bed when my deceased sister-in-law walked right next to her to hold her arm. My mom walked up the stairs holding the railing as she still couldn't open her eyes fully so she couldn't see clearly. My deceased sister-in-law was wearing the Hmong clothes she was buried in. One of her hands was holding my mom and the other was holding her white skirt.

As they were walking up the stairs, the first thing that came to my mom's mind was to call my cousin to come over as everyone in the house was gone and she was very scared. When they got to the living room, she picked up the phone and was trying to dial my cousin's phone number. She still couldn't open her eyes fully and couldn't see the numbers clear enough to dial. While she was doing all this, my deceased sister-in-law was still holding on to her arm.

My mom then decided to go to the bathroom to wash her face so she could see the numbers on the phone. She put the phone under her armpit, went into the bathroom, and turned on the sink faucet. As she bent down to wash her face, the phone fell and hit her foot. That was when she fully woke up and was able to see clearly. She was in the bathroom with no light on. Our bathroom didn't have any window so it was pretty dark in there if you don't turn on the lights. My mom quickly turned on the lights and saw that the water was on. She got even more scared at that time. She turned the water off, picked up the phone on the floor, and ran outside as fast as she could.

When she got outside, she called my cousin and told him to come over at once. My mom stayed outside our house until my cousin got there and told him what happened. He tried to comfort her and stayed with her until it was time for her to go to work. My mom couldn't be dreaming or sleep walking because she end up in the bathroom and remember everything as clear as day.

We didn't know about it until the following weekends. I was scared to go down to the basement for about 3 months. It still gives me goose bumps when ever I think or talk about this. Sorry for making this so long. Hope you enjoy it. If you have questions or comments, feel free.

Other hauntings by ym

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ym, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-08)
ym
When my grandfather died I was quite devastated. Before he died he made me promise to take care of my grandmother, which I readily agreed to. I called her once a week and visited at least once a month. If I forgot to call her by Thursday I would find that something I had just put down was moved or missing. I would say okay grandpa I'll call her today. I have to say that my deceased father in-law did similar things but this was different. Then the dreams started. He would visit me in my dreams but would not hug me which made me feel empty. Then one morning he visited me in a dream on a Saturday morning and this time he gave me a big hug and I could smell the Old Spice he always used. I woke up and started crying and told my husband that grandpa finally hugged me, My husband hugged me to comfort me and asked if I had perfume on. I told him no. Then he went into our room to get dressed and when he came out he said he could smell it stronger in my room. I asked him it smelled like Old Spice and he realized it did. Then we both started to cry because we realized grandpa was in the room and did give me a real hug.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-05)
Hi ym, even though your Mom got scared, it is quite nice that the daugher-in-law came to visit her when she was down with flu. It could have been sleep walking or that she was dreaming. But dreams are easier ways for the deceased to get in touch with the living. Because your Mom was quite close to your sister-in-law, even after demise she came to visit her mother-in-law as she was not well.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-03)
It is possible that she was sleep walking, in only a slightly cognizant state where her mind knew where it was taking her- especially if she was walking a familiar path.

The fact that she could not open her eyes all the way until the sound of the phone falling startled her seems to implicate that she was mostly asleep/in a dream like state.

That is just my opinion.

I do think that, no matter how the event happened, it's very sweet that her daughter-in-law was being comforting.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: