You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: I Love You, Grandpa Al

Real Ghost Stories

I Love You, Grandpa Al

 

When I was seven years old my grandpa died. He wasn't just my grandpa, he was also my best friend. We'd do everything together! Go get donuts, eat our meals together, walk to the park, build Lego cities, and much more fun memories I'll never forget. So when my grandpa passed away in his sleep I was devastated. My grandmother told me that I was crying for three hours straight until I passed out from being so tired. I lay by my grandpa's still form, still in his bed like he was just taking a quick nap, and balled my eyes out begging him not to leave me.

The funeral came quickly, and I felt as if I were in a daze moving through life with no meaning. And as Filipino tradition we have a party right after the funeral to celebrate the person's life and all their achievements. At that time I didn't really understand this, and was angry at everyone for celebrating. I locked myself in the guest room for the rest of the party and quickly fell asleep. In my dream I was at my grandmother's house standing in her driveway. Her garage door was open and oddly enough my grandfather's coffin was in the garage as well. I walked up to it and examine it. The lid was open; however, nothing was inside it. I continued to wonder where my grandfather's body could have gone and why the coffin was here in the first place.

"Baby girl," I jumped at that voice. It was my Grandpa Al's voice! I turned around to see him beaming down at me, and felt tears come to my eyes. "B-but grandpa?! I thought you died! Everyone keeps telling me you're dead!" I was in disbelief. I couldn't believe my grandpa was here in front of me, looking as healthy as ever, and alive. "I know, baby. Don't worry, Grandpa won't leave you, alright? Now go on inside and enjoy the party. The whole family is here."

I didn't want to leave my grandpa again. And told him to hold my hand and walk inside with me. "Sorry, sweetheart. Grandpa's gotta take care of some stuff out here in the garage, but I'll meet you inside ok? Save me some cake." And with that he ushered me inside and kissed me on the forehead.

I walked into a crowd of people and told them all that grandpa was alive. They all told me they knew, and that it was time to cut the cake. I got pretty excited because I knew I would get to share my grandpa's cake with him and he always gave me the frosting, but before I could get our pieces of cake, I woke up... I could still hear the party going on and unlocked the door to go out into the hallway and into the kitchen. I then told my Grandma Lynn (my grandpa's wife) that Grandpa Al was alive and he was just fixing something in the garage. She smiled at me with tears in her eyes and hugged me tight. She whispered to me. "He'll always be with us in spirit, Gabi."

I told her again that he was not dead and quickly set off to the garage to find him. But once I got there, no one was in there, there wasn't a coffin, and the garage door was closed. I walked back to my grandma and told her to save some cake for grandpa while I go look for him. I searched everywhere in the house, and in the backyard too. But I couldn't find him. I just didn't want to believe that seeing my grandpa was all a dream. I went into my grandpa's bedroom and began to cry.

My grandpa never liked when I cried and always tried to cheer me up. I suddenly felt like someone was hugging me and it smelled like the cologne that my grandpa use to always wear. It was impossible for anyone else to be hugging me because I had shut the door and locked it. I knew it must be my grandpa, so I simply smiled and said, "I love you, Grandpa Al."

In loving memory of Alfred DelaCruz (the best Grandpa ever).

Thank you for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sweatseveryday, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AARisTHEbest (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-10)
so sweet so nice and sorry for your loss. He is still with you.
taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-29)
It's awesome he visited with you through your dream. Your grandpa has much love for you. My relationship with my grandfather was the exact same way. So I hope he is able to visit you from time to time; as mine does. 😁
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-29)
sorry for your loss. I only knew my mom's mom. But I heard my mother was my grandpa's favourite and I always felt like I knew him and he's always been around me...i'm sure he watches you everyday <3 and your kids when you have them too.
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-29)
I was barely 6 years old when my grandpa succumbed to a long battle with Cancer. Sadly, except for his pictures, I don't remember much of him. I kind of feel deprived of my grandpa's presence and the fun I could have had with him.
soul_shine (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-28)
Beautiful! I truly believe that our loved ones never completely leave us. Our love keeps their memory alive. Thank you for sharing:)
sonal12 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-27)
Dear sweatseveryday,
Oh boy! This experience was touching and I swear I am not lying... I had a few tears rolling down my cheeks! The love that we share with our grandparents cannot be defined! I hope your grandpa is in peace! He's in a happier place I'm sure! (:
Regards
Sonal (:
sweatseveryday (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-26)
hullmol17, aww 😢 I'm sorry for your loss. But, it's always nice to know that they'll be with us even in spirit.
hullmol17 (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-26)
me too my grandpa is dead and I love him and I dream about him and the day after he died I could smell him in my school classroom 😢
sweatseveryday (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-25)
Thank you 😊 and I too think that my grandpa visited me in my dreams to comfort me, and I think its pretty wonderful that our family members can visit us through our dreams even when they've passed on:)
[at] TalonWalt
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-25)
Wow! This is a very touching experience! I still have dreams of my biological father, who died when I was five. In my dreams he is also alive. I think it is their way of comforting us. Maybe letting us know, that although they are physically gone, a part of them will always remain with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: