You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ceiling Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

The Ceiling Shadow

 

I was in bed reading the other night, and turned around to turn the lamp off. There was no light, yet a shadow was still clearly visible on the ceiling. It took the shape of a Victorian man with a cigar and bowler hat, but other facial features were obscured by the darkness. I sat there terrified, as the figure appeared to be laughing, and as I got up to slowly back away from the area of ceiling dominated by this ghostly presence. The figure became more animated, moving slowly around the ceiling, and a slight whistling sound could be heard as it did so.

I rushed to the bathroom, came back and the ominous figure was gone, but the room felt colder. I climbed back into bed, badly shaken. I awoke about an hour later to the sound of breathing to my right, and the right side of my body felt colder than the left! I was terrified! I sat there, waiting for the feeling of a presence by my side to pass, when all of a sudden, there was a popping noise, quite subtle and quiet, and the feeling was gone. The room temperature returned to normal, much to my relief!

This happened about a week ago. Since then I've experienced other strangely animated shadows that appear to have no source, but no other noises or changes to suggest a ghostly presence. They all take the shapes of old buildings or objects that I can recognize as Victorian from my studies of the subject.

I've never had a ghost experience before this one, so I searched around on the internet for a bit to see if this was normal to be seeing such things, and was surprised to find many people do have spiritual experiences regularly, but none quite like mine!

If you have a similar story to mine, please leave a comment so I know I'm not alone!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Spectre101, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
ive had a similar shadow experience, when I was about 17 I was at my friends house the lamp was on and we seen a shadow right in the corner of the ceiling right above her door in the shape of a head and shoulders we tried opening and closing thw door and moving everything away from the lamp but there was nothing we could find to be causingbthe shadow.
Spectre101 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-15)
Um, not really. Normally it's about 10-15 minutes after I turn the lamp off. In the particular case, it happened much sooner than usual and that's why I submitted this experience rather than any other
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-10)
Say your prayers before bed. Leave an open bible in the room, with an appropriate psalm or verse visible. Can't hurt, might help. Worth a try.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-10)
Well, you aren't alone. Many people report seeing shadows. You say the 'shadows' take the shape of building or objects? Let me ask this, although it may sound strange... Do these shadows appear shortly after you have turned off the lamp, and do you happen to look into the light as you turn it off?
I have a theory, but I need the answers first.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: