You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Felt Like I Was About To Die

Real Ghost Stories

Felt Like I Was About To Die

 

'Allo To All Good People! Throughout my life, I have had quite a few uncanny experiences. Here's one I'd like to share with you;

One night, a few years ago, I was sleeping alone in my flat where I had a freaky experience when I was "frozen" in bed and could not move nor awaken myself. I found myself caught and stuck in a semi-waking stage trying to awaken from a deep sleep and had a frightening time doing so.

There was this dreadful feeling of approaching doom and death. I can only best describe it as a spiraling down, sinking feeling, and felt like I was descending into a realm of the unknown that was there waiting for me. I did not want to go there nor did I want to know what was to be the outcome. I was absolutely panic-stricken with fear and firmly convinced that I was about to die.

With great effort, I forced myself to get up from the bed and then began to feel a little progress in my sluggish movements. All the while, I felt a grogginess and an extreme lack of energy, my life energy being drained by what seemed to be a "thing", an entity, trying to worm its way into my body. I was fighting with this force and mentally yelling out... " NO!... I WILL NOT LET YOU INVADE MY BODY ". This whole event seemed to have lasted a minute or two.

Eventually, with the power of a mental prayer and by using the name "Jesus", I broke free and awoke. I do not remember much after this episode and shortly went straight back to sleep.

The next morning, I remembered all and tried to rationalise. The fear was gone and I carried on with my life as usual. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alistoni, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Its-Pixie (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-19)
It sounds a lot like sleep paralysis. Read more about it here, hope it help 😊 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
AARisTHEbest (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-15)
If this thing isn't paranormal it could be sleep paralysis.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
I too concur with Zinksauce. I've experienced sleep paralysis as well and, at times, it's happened exactly as you described. It doesn't make it any less scary, but it's good to know that it's a biological quirk that we sometimes go through. There are no harmful physical or mental after affects and it doesn't mean that something's wrong with you, so don't worry:)
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
I agree with ZinkSauce. Sleep paralysis is pretty common. I think it happens to everyone at least once.
ZinkSauce (2 posts)
+4
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
Hi, what you describe is EXACTLY what I went through when I was in high school. There is a biological explanation for this. When we sleep, our bodies go into this state where it becomes paralyzed - known as sleep paralysis. That explains why you could not move right away when you were semi-awake. As far as the dreadful feeling of someone invading you and the falling spiral feeling, that's a panic attack. As mentioned, I had a very similar experience years ago. I was laying in bed right about to drift off completely - but not quite. I was in that in-between state where I wasn't fully asleep nor was I fully awake and I had this overwhelming heavy feeling that washed over me like a gigantic dark wave. But I couldn't fully open my eyes and then I started hearing this extreme white noise overwhelming my hearing as well. Anyway, what you experienced is an actual biological response with sleep paralysis and the fear is a panic attack. Google up 'sleep paralysis myths' and you will see what I mean.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: