You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Ghost That Missed Us

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost That Missed Us

 

It all started about 16 years ago when we bought our house from my grandparents. After living there for a few weeks weird things started happening. We would hear knocking noises throughout the house, doors shutting on their own, lights that would either turn on or off, and sometimes even faint voices.

Most of the time we more or less just ignored it and didn't let it bother us. For our children it was another story. Once they started getting old enough to realize what was happening, they were scared. It also had a negative affect on their friendships with others because not many of their friends wanted to come to the house because of it. We dealt with it the best we could.

In 2007 my husband was transferred to another state with his job and we moved out of the house. Our oldest son, still in college, decided to stay in the house until he graduated. Two weeks or so after we moved, our son called and said things were getting worse. He woke up one morning around 4 am and couldn't get back to sleep. He had been lying there for awhile when he heard his dog walking up and down the hallway through the dining room and kitchen back and forth. It went on for a few minutes or so when he finally got out of bed to see what Max was doing. As he stepped out of bed, Max was sleeping on the floor. He got back into bed and refused to move until it finally stopped.

We would come home once a month and usually stay anywhere between 4 to 5 days. It seemed like every time we would come home things would get worse. Rather than go on and on about every single thing that happened, I want to talk about the most terrifying experiences.

One night we had just finished some laundry in the basement and were heading up the steps with our German Shepherd Raquel right behind us. We got to the top shut the door and immediately Raquel spun around and leaped at, then attacked, the lower part of the basement door trying to get at whatever was on the other side. That same night the TV turned on and off and the banging in the basement was louder than it had ever been.

The next month we returned and the first night we were back myself, my husband, and our daughter-in-law were sitting at the dining room table with 3 of our dogs all resting on the floor. We were the only ones home, just having a quiet conversation, when out of nowhere we all heard a woman say, "Hey there little doggies how are yous?" All three dogs jumped up and ran to the basement door barking. I asked both my husband and daughter-in-law to repeat a part of what was said. If I had heard that when I was alone I would've thought I was cracking up for sure. I get goosebumps just thinking back to it.

The next incident that happened I was there alone and Jeff (my husband) wouldn't be back there for a few hours. All of a sudden the banging started in the basement. This time so loud I thought the washing machine was getting tossed around. I called my father-in-law and he came over laughing, of course, and telling me I was hearing things. I ignored him and asked him if he would at least stay until after I was asleep and he did. I was awaken early the next morning by my father-in-law knocking on the door. He told me that he was watching TV after I had fallen asleep and when the movie was over he went to leave when he swore he heard a lady crying in the basement. He said as he walked down the steps to check it out, the crying got louder the closer he got to the laundry room. He said he stopped at the doorway to the laundry room and she was still crying. He yelled for it to show itself but it stopped altogether. Keep in mind this is a guy that was a complete disbeliever and laughed at me and told me I was hearing things.

The next bad experience we had was a month later it was early evening and of course the loud banging started up in the basement. This time Jeff had had enough. He went downstairs with me and my son behind him and said some stupid things to whatever was making all the noise and seconds after he did we heard a scream upstairs. We ran upstairs and a scream came from the basement. I swear it was playing games. We stood upstairs for a bit when all of a sudden we heard a horrible moaning sound coming from one of the bedrooms. We said that's enough and got a hotel room for the rest of he weekend.

The last, and probably the most terrifying event to happen, started when I was coming up from the basement. I just felt like something was walking behind me and, feeling sick and tired of everything, I turned around and said out loud, "Ohhhh you don't scare me..." That night I had a dream that I was in the middle of a field, and some people were burying me alive. I was awakened by Jeff who was literally carrying me out of he bedroom shaking me and screaming for me to wake up. When I did my neck was sore and I could barely breath gasping for air. Call me crazy but I to this day believe I was being choked.

In 2011 we moved back into the house and are currently living there. What I am really confused about is that since we've been back (almost 2 years now) and we haven't heard a peep. No knocking no nothing. My fear every day is that it's going to start all over again. Any suggestions on what this is or was? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from ever coming back?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Horselover12345, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

stephyw2001 (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-28)
That's so odd. I love that your dogs went running and barking at the door. I think animals are the best indicators of something up. So weird that it was messing with you with the sounds from the basement, then upstairs. I'm glad your house appears to be peaceful now.
anjarey (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-28)
this story was really scary! You're brave for moving back there! Have you ever done any research about the house, especially the basement since most of the things happened there? Please keep us updated!

And lady-glow thank you for that cleansing ritual!
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
I'm not too sure I would have moved back in. 😐 lady-glow has offered you Rook's cleansing method, and I know many on this site have used it, and swear by it. It wouldn't hurt to add some extra positivity to the atmosphere.
I wish you luck.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
Did your grandparents experience all that activity while living in the house?
Try Rookdying cleansing method, it has worked for many people in this site.

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

I hope this helps, it must be terrible to live in fear of the activity starting again.
Keep us posted and thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: