You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Newcut Road Hoodied Figure 'ghost' Sighting

Real Ghost Stories

Newcut Road Hoodied Figure 'ghost' Sighting

 

In the early hours of New Years' Day 1996/1997, I had finished work in a nightclub and a friend of mine picked me up, probably around 2 a.m. Neither of us had been drinking and I should point out I reserve judgment on the paranormal. It was a crisp night and was lightly snowing on a bypass called New Cut Road, approximately a three mile stretch of road with barriers either side, hilly ground on one side and on the other, a banking slope and trees further away from the roadside.

We were going quite slowly on the 60 mile-per-hour stretch, possibly 30-40 miles or less and we were around the halfway point on the bypass and had just passed a sign. There were no trees on the passenger's side, just a drop and darkness with the moon highlighting the trees.

As the sporadic snow fell in the yellow and white lit air, I could see a figure beyond the barriers. It was large, around 7-8 feet tall. It appeared hooded with no features, just blackness. I can only compare it to the hooded figure in the film The Frighteners (1996) and Lord of The Rings (2001) and Intruders (2011) to name a few.

However -- and I know this a contradiction -- the figure was transparent but solid. It felt ominous and evil. I looked to my friend who could see it too. He gave out a yell and put his foot on the accelerator. The car skidded. If I had looked to my left as we passed the figure I would have come face to face with it. However, for some reason I turned looking right over my shoulder to the rear window, looking to the left side back window, between the passenger and driver's seat. In retrospect it may have been to distance myself from the figure and passenger window.

It, the figure, appeared to lunge forward as if to come through the back of the car. We drove on and as I watched it, it was lost into the darkness.

When we stopped the car outside my house, the side of the car had a large film patch over the door and part of the window. It might have already been there and a coincidence -- I can't be sure. But the substance of film looked like a smear on a knife after cutting cheese.

I was so scared that I had to wake my family thinking that I may die that night and this figure was a warning or a sign of something to come like a Dickensian tale. Of course I'm still here.

I couldn't help but think this horrific experience meant something and we both returned to the area by foot days later, expecting to possibly to find a clue, an injured person or even a dead body. We walked almost the whole length of the road and never found anything.

Sometime later, a national newspaper ran a story on hooded figure sighting across the UK which gave me some acceptance of the events.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, amesmonde, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-30)
Oh wow. That's wild. Seriously. Is this the only paranormal experience that you have had? I love the way you told it so simply, without embellishment.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-26)
Hi amesmonde, welcome to YGS.

Can I ask, was this experience on a bypass near the Sheffield area?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: