You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Figure On The Toilet

Real Ghost Stories

A Figure On The Toilet

 

I still live at my childhood home with my parents, my both younger brothers, and our old dog.

Just last night, I was coming downstairs to get water sometime around or after 2 AM. Our bathroom is right to the left from the stairwell's door, and the doorway to the kitchen is right between them. The light was on in the bathroom, but I think I left it on when I was there earlier, and the door was slightly open. I saw a vague, weirdly dark figure sitting spread-legged on the toilet with its head looking like it was hanging low. I thought it was my father because its body type fit neither of my brothers. However, my father usually uses the bathroom without lights at night (I don't know why, but he always almost gives me a heart attack when I open the door). I had initially dismissed it, but when I did a double take it was gone.

I closed both doors, got the water while watching the stairwell door from the kitchen's open doorway, and hurried back to my room. Nothing else happened that night.

The house has always made me paranoid at night, but nothing has ever happened (aside from guitar music that I only hear when I lay in my dark room alone trying to fall asleep, I do have a guitar in the attic. Sometimes it stops when I order it to, sometimes not). I've never actually seen anything apart from this guitaring or the house creaking, albeit I'm not sure if the creaking is actually normal.

Our house dates somewhere after WW2 (but other buildings on the property are older and we've found horseshoes), and there has only been one family who lived there before us. Our neighbors are an old couple, one of whom is the child of the aforementioned family, but I can't remember which. I don't know if anybody died there.

I generally tend to get sudden fits of paranoia at nights, I don't know if it's caused by something unnatural or if it's just me. However, the figure is new and has me extremely worried.

Other hauntings by InTheNight

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, InTheNight, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-07-30)
It's such an old house, perhaps the man you saw in the bathroom died there? With you feeling so paranoid it sounds like negative energies might be around. Have a cleansing done, smudging the place with the windows open helping the negative energy to leave. God bless you, healing hugs sent your way.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-06-26)
InTheNight,
I have just realised by re-reading my replies that part of my comment that I should have addressed to you, I addressed to Gingerbug. (I do have a small suggestion for you, please get a fan or windows put in. You can't keep sweltering in those hot conditions)... That part was meant for you.
Gingerbug,
No wonder you were assuming I was having a dig. I'm sorry, I got confused.
I should stop commenting and get sleep. That might help. 😟
gingerbug (5 stories) (15 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-06-26)
CrimsonTopaz,

Thank you so much. I am quite fine. It was well worth it because I made life better for about 50 cows and 30 people:)

CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-06-25)
Gingerbug,
That's a really sincere and lovely reply. You don't need to apologise. It's common for text to be misinterpreted. I prefer FaceTime myself.
I'm so sorry to hear you have been a victim of intimadation. That's sad. I don't like to see people in pain whether it be emotional or physical.
The fan and window comment was innocent on my behalf. I thought you would feel better. Now I understand your situation better, I wish there was something I could do to help. You are so far away and all I can do from here is offer you my friendship.
gingerbug (5 stories) (15 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2021-06-25)
CrimsonTopaz,

I am sorry as well. I totally misunderstood you.

I do not want to take up this space for my personal problems but I have been fighting huge environmental issues in my local community which I found were limiting our actual chances at survival.

For the last 2,5 years 9 out of 10 messages or comments that I get - have been aimed to put me down or to intimidate me.

I have become highly defensive.

I guess I am in a bad groove and sort of suffering from a PTSD:D

I apologize for my mistake once again.

Now I see that the thing about sweltering and putting fan in you meant to direct at InTheNight. I actually misinterpreted it as an insult (cultural reference). I thought you were trying to tell me to 'cool down'.

But I guess I can use the advice (metaphorically) to become less hotheaded:D

Thank you for the compliment then.

I am certain you have something to contribute because we are all different people and we notice different things and that is why this is an exciting place.

And even if you don't, I bet it would be nice for InTheNight to hear from many people who read his story and enjoyed it.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-06-25)
Gingerbug,
Everything you have said is not what I meant to relate back to you in my comment.
I definitely wasn't being mean. I gave you a compliment by saying, (You put together a very detailed reply, more than I have coming to mind to help InTheNight). In other words, you thought of everything and I couldn't think of anything to help InTheNight.
The mention about seeing a deleted account was just that I thought I saw your name once before and it was deleted and now you have replies online. (That's all). My intention wasn't to make you feel uncomfortable. If you read it that way, I apologise. Sometimes texts can read abrupt when the person typing is really being kind and genuine.
I look forward to reading your storys.
gingerbug (5 stories) (15 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-06-25)
CrimsonTopaz,

I don't know what to say to you. I feel you're being quite mean but I will try to explain myself anyway even if it actually consumes so much of time unnecessarily and apparently adds to me 'trying to take the spotlight'.

First of all, the fact that I re-registered says nothing about my intentions or credibility and I am not going to justify it.

Secondly, I was very into this account. I thought it was interesting and I happen to really love Finland.

I read it very carefully because I enjoyed the experience and I enjoyed thinking about the Finnish environment where it took place.

(BTW, sorry, toivo should be toivon - I am trying to learn the Finnish language.)

Accordingly, because I was hooked both on the account and its place of origin - I had lots to say.

I never thought it would irritate anybody. I am sorry. I thought it was relevant and might offer some insight. I also really wanted to communicate the whimsy and, more importantly, the care I sensed in the story on behalf of the 'visitor' because everybody needs to know someone cares for them and might be benevolent towards them, especially, these days.

Nobody is forced to read it.

If you see my comments some other time and you think they are too long, it is okay if you skip them entirely. I won't mind at all.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-06-25)
InTheNight,
It's not unknown to see a figure lurking, then when you turn back and do a double take, it's gone.
Gingerbug,
I thought I saw a deleted account not long ago with that name? I must be losing my marbles. You put together a very detailed reply, more than I have coming to mind to help InTheNight. I do have a small suggestion for you gingerbug, please get a fan or windows put in. You can't keep sweltering in those hot conditions.
gingerbug (5 stories) (15 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-06-24)
Hei hei, InTheNight!

Greetings from Latvia!

I really enjoyed your story and also the dream you related. It was also peculiar because I had never read or heard about ghosts using the facilities:)

I am no ghost expert but I wanted to offer a few thoughts I had while reading your account if that is okay with you.

They will probably not contribute to explanation but they might be useful, who knows, for you to understand better what you are dealing with.

Firstly, if you think about, ghost or no ghost, using the WC is a specific activity.

If it is not some 'record' of a past event when someone who previously lived there was using he loo and somehow you happened to tap into that moment in the history of the house without there being any spirit at all... If it is not the case, then you should consider that the spirit apparently feels at home... In your home. Or they are claiming their territory.

I mean, for example, many people feel shy using the facilities when they are simply visiting. There are individuals who would rather prefer 'holding it' until they got to their own place.

Using the facilities (assuming that ghosts do not suffer bladder issues and do not drink too much to 'hold it in') can be a particular statement.

It could even mean, as I said, a certain claim to territory because I do not really see any other reason why a spirit might want to perform one of the 'p's.

That said, from your account I do not feel any malevolent antagonism.

What I sense is actually playing around, imitating perhaps your routines.

That is especially true with the sound of the guitar being played which also tells me that the spirit is aware of your presence and is 'getting to know' either your family and your lifestyle of the general lifestyle of humans these days.

Because it can be that the spirit has been awakened for some reason and time has elapsed since its last experience with the humankind and its chattels.

Accordingly, the spirit might be tempted to try out the modern instruments and facilities.

When you mentioned the sauna being in poor state and the WW2 and the horseshoes, it made me assume it could be an old enough property for the previous owners (if any) to have had their WC outside - without lights and proper seats to enjoy.

You can also try to think if the process of visiting the WC is... A ceremony in itself in your family that might attract the spirit's fancies as a homely and comforting thing to do.

It sounds weird but many people have magazines in the WC and they can spend more time than necessary in there reading or thinking about something and it becomes a sort of those cosy places much like the kitchen.

If the spirit is too shy to hang out and try your living room things, the WC might appeal as the more private place.

When you were writing about your dream, it appeared to me that it was sent to you to offer some relief even.

I might be misreading it all, of course, but you wrote it was sweltering and you were dreaming of winter afterwards.

I was confused though because the way you described the figure in the WC (as not resembling your father or brothers who are of the male gender) - did not correlate with the girl you saw in the dream.

Of course, they might not be related experiences. It just left me wondering.

When reading about the girl and the dream as such, I felt as if someone was concerned about you. About your current physical discomfort (the heat and the exhaustion and the lack of appetite) but maybe also about some larger issues.

For some reason, when you wrote she said, 'come outside, it's warm in there', it seemed to me as if the invitation held both a threat and actual caring.

As if she wanted for you to go to her world where it was cooler (more comfortable) and where you could enjoy the childhood activities and lack of care... But also that she knew you should refuse because her world is the world of the winter (and death) and therefore she was trying to make you scared so that you did not follow.

I feel like she wanted to state that it was nice where she was and maybe even easier than where you are - but she also applied the typical scary dreamstuff (inability to move and the slow gliding towards you) for you to stay where you are.

For some reason, I feel like she was as afraid of you as you were of her and that she allowed you to visit the world she used to inhabit as a child. And that she used the fear that lies between the worlds of the dead and the living so that the living were afraid to die thus keeping themselves alive.

Those are my impressions.

Toivo etta ne ovat hyodyllisia (I hope they are useful).
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-06-22)
Hi InTheNight

I think maybe you should find out more about the history of the house, is this the first time you experiencing this or were there any other incidents over the years?

Also ask your family if they have also experienced anything out of the ordinary.
InTheNight (2 stories) (34 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-06-21)
I forgot to mention:

When I fell asleep after this, I dreamed that it was winter (I think). Initially I was at our family yard, but the woods looked different. I went sledding or something for a while and I was about to go back inside, but decided to have one last slide to a different direction in the field, where the view from the house is blocked by trees.

I don't know how was I supposedly moving at that point, but sliding isn't supposed to work on an even surface, but dream logic. Anyway, I was moving forwards at an even pace, lying down or something. The forest's edge was just a few meters away. I noticed somebody walking in the forest paraller to me but in the opposite direction. I initially didn't mind, but fir some reason I stopped and did a double take. The person then suddendly stopped walking snd turned towards me, closer than first seemed. It was a dark-haired person i'm sure was a woman or a girl. She started walking towards me slowly, and her face barely or at all moved when she said "come outside, it's warm in there" or something similiar. Typical to a nightmare, I either couldn't move at all or could only move really slowly as she advanced towards me. I don't remember if it cut off at thst or if I just didn't process/remember the rest.

The next night was normal and I didn't remember any dreams.

It's been almost uninhabitable in there for at least a week, with temperatures going as high as 35 celsius (and the heat lingering inside at 30 or 31 even as the outside cools down). Our old house has no air conditioning and my room is upstairs right beneath the metal roof and it's so hot that I can't extert myself at all without getting faint or nauseous, i'm so exhausted that I can barely chew and swallow my food (and even remotely warm foods are an absolute no), and I sweat even in the cellar stairs (not that I could spend days in the sauna - it's always been slimy and full of bugs).

These horrible conditions could be the cause of the nightmare.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: