You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Is My Dog Still With Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Is My Dog Still With Me?

 

I haven't written anything in a very long time as nothing unusual has really happened. I have three wonderful dogs and I love them so much. But sadly on 25th June 2013 I had to put my beautiful Collie cross Labrador, Cassie, to sleep due to old age and she couldn't walk and she just got really ill towards the end. I held her when she was put to sleep and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in all of my life.

After she was put to sleep I ran outside to the car as I couldn't bear to watch the vets and my dad wrap her up in the fluffy purple blanket I gave her to be buried in. My boyfriend decided to stay over at mine's that night as he felt bad that he couldn't have said a final goodbye to her and, plus, he wanted to make sure I was going to be ok.

My dad informed me he had made her final resting place in a back road near her favourite tree she would always go to. My boyfriend and I decided to go and visit her for a while and sit there just talking to her and crying. I have never seen him cry so much as he did. I never realised he was so attached to her.

The first night without her was really hard on me. I cried and moped about the house, mainly entering the kitchen where she would sleep with my other two dogs. They noticed she wasn't there any more and my youngest dog was very whiny and acted sad as if she knew she was gone, as from the puppy stage she always thought Cassie was her mum.

Well, after a few weeks I would be in the living room sometimes by myself and I would hear dog nails tapping on the kitchen floor as if one of the dogs was in the kitchen, but usually in the summer we kept the dogs outside in the daytime in a large kennel as it was so hot. I went into the kitchen and no one was there. My other two dogs were outside. At first I thought it was just my imagination but it has happened in a few other occasions.

Other times, especially at night, I sometimes think I can hear her wining slightly in the kitchen as she would do this when she was still alive whenever she needed the toilet. Most nights when I hear this I think it may be Sasha, my youngest dog, as she whines a lot too but when I check she is fast asleep. I have noticed that sometimes she stares at the top of the kitchen where Cassie used to sleep. She doesn't bark or growl. It's more like she just stares at that exact spot. My other dog doesn't seem to notice anything, mind you. She is coming 13 so she just sleeps a lot these days.

I don't hear these all the time just only on random nights. I do have dreams where I see her a lot in them even when I haven't been thinking about her. I'm just wondering has anyone else had experiences like this where their pet has recently passed away and you still hear them even though they aren't around any more?

Other hauntings by Stephyk94

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Stephyk94, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-28)
stephyk94, This is saddening for me. I'm so sorry for your loss of a furry family member. It is one of the harder times in life. I'm sure shes there with you, making your days a little brighter. I have had a siimilar experience a couple of months ago. I was meditating and I clearly heard my passed pitt Red bark. Just that morning, my children and I were talking about how we missed him, and how great of a brotherhe. Was for them. Every now and again I will sense him around.
mylittlerabbits (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-27)
Stephyk94, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. It's like loosing a member of your family. I cried for weeks and talking about it when anyone asked would make me cry.

I experienced something similar to what you're experiencing. When I lost my rabbit Pixie there were times where I would see an apparition of what looks like her hopping around or in the area where she likes to relax. When I take a double take there's nothing there. I know my other rabbit is in the living room and not the bedroom. Pixie loved to be in the bedroom especially when she was sick. There were nights I feel something hopping on my bed but when I look there's nothing there and the other one is in the living room. It scared me sometimes only because I'm not sure if it's her and I can't explain it.

My boyfriend experience the same thing. He would tell me I think Pixie visited us last night. He would dream about her but I haven't. Every now and than I would feel something nudging me from behind like how she used to, but when I turn around nothing is there.

It was on me mostly because she was getting better from whatever was causing her illness. The vet ran so many testes and couldn't find the problem. I gave her, her last dose of medication and that's when her health turn worse even though she was getting better. She moved around in her pen in pain and moaning in pain. I held her in my arms and she took her last breathe. I'm just hoping I gave her a happy loving life.
JoQuack (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-27)
Definitely think that both Lady-glow and Jacktea21 have a point. I've had to put pets down too: (but there are times when they may still be there.

If it starts to worry you maybe just ask her to move on? Otherwise, like Jacktea said, maybe just talk to her and acknowledge her.

Good Luck.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-26)
Hi Stephyk94, I'm sorry for the loss of Cassie, I agree its one of the hardest thing to have done.

This is a very common experience to hear and feel your departed friend around. Only the other day there was a story very similar to this after a lady lost her cat Kitty, she heard and felt her around the house. Rationally this could be just as Jacktea21 has said, and you are hearing and noticing these things because you are so used to them, and you want to see your dog so bad. But I like to agree with lady-glow, I think Cassie is with you where she belongs and is just letting you know she is there, which I have no doubt she is 😉
Jacktea21 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-26)
I'm sorry:/ I hate putting pets down: (but I remember once I had to put down my Jack Russell due to old age as well. And I felt as though he was still there. I think it was more my mind beig used to him being around all the time. After a while our pets become family. Like if my wife were to dissapear, I would attribute any sound to be her doing normal things she does around the house. But if it is your dog still there with you, maybe next time you hear her, just talk to her and let her know you miss her. Sometimes that's all a spirit wants before they move on and ascend into heaven to live for eternity with our lord and savior Jesus Christ.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-25)
Stephyk94: I'm sorry for your loss.
I think Cassie is trying to let you know that she is fine and comes to visit her loved ones, in your dreams and when you hear a dog that "is not" there. 😊

Thanks for sharing this heartwarming story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: