You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Forgotten Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Forgotten Man

 

I have posted here before, a few years back, since then paranormal episodes in my life have not completely stopped but I have not kept a journal or written about it. Today I want to talk about what has been happening for the last four years but first, a brief story of my neighborhood.

I now live in Woodlawn Heights, The Bronx "Woodlawn (population 7,741) is an Irish American middle class neighborhood at the very north end of the borough of the Bronx in New York City. Unlike some neighborhoods in New York, its boundaries are well defined, as it is bounded by McLean Avenue to the north, which is approximately the New York City / Westchester County line, the Bronx River to the east, Woodlawn Cemetery to the south and Van Cortland Park (Indian field) to the west. Woodlawn is home to a large Irish American community, and is the site of the famous Woodlawn Cemetery. The neighborhood is part of Bronx Community Board 12" (Wikipedia).

The place is very old, interesting and rich in history. There are some old beautiful places here: parks, churches and The Woodlawn Cemetery, which just turned 150 years old this past weekend: http://www.thewoodlawncemetery.org/. On August 1778, this land witnessed the massacre of the Mohican Warriors, who were fighting on the side of patriots against the British. They died courageously at the hands of Colonel John Graves Simcoe and his Queen's Rangers. To keep this story short: the neighborhood where I have resided for the last four years was built directly on top of Indian battlefield and burial grounds.

I first moved here a few months before my first daughter was born, ever since things have happened at home that defy what most believe to be logical. My place is less than half a block away from the cemetery. Ever since my family and I moved here, we have always felt a presence, never threatening but a presence. My wife feels less comfortable with it than I do. It feels like a male presence but I am not sure if he has acknowledged us. It feels as if he is just doing his own thing most of the time. The first time my wife and I sensed it/him was in the bathroom. One of us would be in there alone and we would surely think that the other one was on the other side of the shower curtain, then when the curtain was pulled there was nobody there and she would asked me if I was in the bathroom when she was there. Surely, I was not.

The next episode consisted of the toys of my child were turning on at nighttime by themselves and appearing in different places that I had placed them before. I know the toys were off before I went to bed. Other episodes involved my wife and I seating on living room, watching TV and we could feel sudden movement behind us. Yesterday something dropped on the kitchen that was well placed and could not have just dropped. Sometimes I can feel him or see some blurry shadow from my peripheral view and I let him now I have seen him just to acknowledge him. When my wife does feel him she asks me, "did you see/feel that?"

My child has felt him too. I remember a specific episode where she walked from the living room to her room by herself said something to someone and then came out of there running and scared. Yesterday she and I were playing in the living room when all of the sudden she looks toward the room and stares I did not say anything and just looked at her then she looked at me and asked me "who is that in the room". I told my wife this and she told me that this has happened to her in the past too when is only the two of them at home. In addition, the other night I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom when I saw a figure in the doorway, I stopped on my tracks. I noticed he was not looking straight at me but when he did he disappeared.

That is all I got for today even though, those are not the only occurrences and I am sure my wife does not tell me everything. I will try to keep a journal and give some more updates. Thank you. Any comments are welcome and if you ever in NYC come by my neighborhood and explore its history.

Other hauntings by luisma

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, luisma, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

luisma (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
When I saw the figure in the hallway all I could perceive was a silhouette since the all the lights were off except for a small light coming from the kitchen.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-20)
When you saw the figure in the doorway, can you describe him?
luisma (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
It does not feel threathening and ifIt/he is attached to his land I don't want to oucast him. 😕
roxygirl (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
It sounds like you live in an amazing area. I believe that he is a soul that is unaware that he has passed on. It doesn't seem like he means any harm to anyone. If you wife and daughter are uncomfortable with his presence, maybe you could find someone that deals with these souls, that could perhaps put him to rest. Thank you for sharing your story and please keep us posted 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: