You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Shadow Kangaroo

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Kangaroo

 

I live in Indiana, way back in the farmland. Several years ago I was working as a waitress in a nearby town. I was coming home from work after a late shift - it was probably 11:30 at night. I was taking the back roads because it was a holiday weekend and I didn't want to get hit by a drunk driver. I was on my way home from work so I hadn't had a drop to drink, nor was I on any illicit substances.

Generally, when I drove that route, I wouldn't see another car after I got out of town, especially that late at night. That's why I considered those roads to be 'stupid holiday drunk driver' proof. Tonight was no exception and even with the holiday crowds, I had been driving for thirty minutes without seeing another car. I was only about five miles from home when I saw a shadow shaped like a kangaroo bounce across the road right in front of me.

I was fairly large - I think about three and a half feet at the hip. It was crouched over in mid-leap instead of standing up straight like they do. I don't remember if the legs were moving or not, but I remember seeing the outline, the boxy head, the big mule ears and the long tail outlined perfectly. But there was no detail; just a black shadow in the shape of a kangaroo.

If had been a real kangaroo or a coyote or anything of that sort I would have seen it clearly because it was in my headlights. We have exotic animal farms in the area, so it wasn't out of the question that someone could have lost a kangaroo. But. This was just a shape. It couldn't have been more than fifteen feet from the hood of my car.

It was just a black shadow in the perfect shape of a kangaroo, bounding across the road. I tried to see where it went, but at 11:30 in the middle of the country it was pitch black and I lost it as soon as it was out of my headlights.

I didn't think too much about it until I read a story on this site where someone saw something very similar in Texas.

Other hauntings by SparklinBurgndy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SparklinBurgndy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ms_st0308 (6 stories) (66 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
My dad and his brothers swear they saw an elephant in town when they were kids. They ran back home, which wasn't far, got their parents and older sister and went back to see the elephant. It took probably about five minutes or less, but no elephant when they got back. This was somewhere in south central Alabama? I'll have to ask him again where they were living at the time.
Deaser (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
Kangaroos do crouch over when there going flat out, they only hop strait up when there just cruising, just saying
othershadows101 (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
maybe it was a kangag its a dark figure of a animal that looks like a ghost but it is not its just a animal and most people do not see them with headlights I was on the road and I saw a shadow in the bushes when I looked and got out of my car it came in front of me I pet it and it had fur I could feel it I pet it and moved on my way home I thought it was a ghost but it was just a dog my neighbors dog his names spunk she is a black dog and you can see it during the day but not at night 😊
SparklinBurgndy (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-05)
Well, shellzy, like I said, there are exotic animal farms in the area so I would have been startled to see an actual kangaroo running around, but I still would have believed that first.

Louslips, your friend was right to shoot; emu can be dangerous. I don't know what one was doing in NY. Did you hear about that shark they found in the woods in Maine? Weird stuff going on...
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
Weird stuff ends up in weird places. I am friends with a guy who was the youngest of five boys. As they grew up they did everything together. One fall day they went grouse hunting as they often did. While beating the brush, they all heard one of the brothers shoot. When they called to him to see if he was successful, or if the bird was coming their way... He would not answer. No matter how much they called and how they were certain he was within earshot, he would not answer. Fearing he may have tripped and injured himself seriously, they backtracked and then blanketed the area they knew he entered. When they finally saw him, he was putting something large in a hole in the ground he had dug with a piece of a log. It was an adult emu... In upstate NY. He claims that as he entered the brush it ran right at him and he panicked and shot it. There were no exotic animal farms in the area.
I think your eyes played tricks on you. I believe the light may have somehow distorted the image and whatever it was, was indeed a real animal... But I was not there.

Lou
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
Alright, this may be the only time I get to bring this one up...
A friend of my daughter's was driving back to Tucson from San Antonio, Texas a few years ago. As he was driving through New Mexico, on a long lonely stretch of highway just outside of the Arizona border, a figure jumped onto the highway, right in front of his vehicle, from seemingly out of nowhere. This was late at night and he had been driving for hours. He told us he thought it was a chupacabre. It was fast, half the size of a normal man, long fangs and claws. It landed on the road directly in front of the vehicle, looked straight at him, and then in one leap it was gone again.
That's all I wanted to say, sorry. I have no idea what it was you saw, but if it happened at night, there really is no telling what it could have been.

Jav
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
LouSlips, you're a hoot! 😆

Maybe someone's kangaroo escaped, got hit and so you were seeing it's ghost?
Asher0719 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
My friends experienced something similar when we were kids. They were walking along the highway at night when they saw the shadow outline of something crouch down before launching itself across the road in one leap. They didn't say what it looked like, but they were close enough they should've seen something distinguishable characteristics, and yet all it was was a shadow.

Interesting that it was a Kangaroo. For a moment I expected to see you were in New Jersey and people would think you'd seen the Jersey Devil 😉
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
"We got hit by a Shadow Kangaroo"...to the tune of Yellow Submarine... Everybody join in!

Lou
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
that's cool, because: My mom saw something like that, NOT in a kangaroo shape, but she said it was like a big person shadow or something, going from one side of the ditch to the other, I never saw it, though I was in the car (looking somewhere else), but it wasn't anyone else sense we live like a mile from the road! Then about a year or two earlier, me, my dad, my godfather, and I think even my brother, and mom, saw what looked like at first my dog going though the field, but then we realized it moved more like a cat, but it was BIG and black, but to far for us to make out clearly enough to know what it really was before it diapered in the woods.
GIRLIE ❤
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
Hi SparklinBurgndy

When I saw the title of your story I was sure was going to be reading a tale from Australia but I was really suprised this took place in Indiana! Which makes it even more intriguing!

What you described certainly sounds like a kangaroo with the ears, boxy head and long tail. They can actually 'crouch down' when they get some momentum behind them and the can move damn fast too!

I know from experience while driving through heavily populated roo territory that they have a habit of appearing out of nowhere and bounding accross the road in front of your car scaring the heebie-jebbies out of you!

Im not exactly sure what you saw that night and what 'skippy the bush kangaroo' 😆 was doing out your way but you seem quite sure of what you saw.

Thanks for sharing, I might put this in the head scratcher pile! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: