You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Christmas Spirit

Real Ghost Stories

Christmas Spirit

 

This incident occurred in 2004, two days before Christmas. My daughter (aged 12) came to visit and noticed that I still had not delivered my Christmas cards. She was laughing and joking stating that my neighbours would give me wrong for leaving it so late and I was saying, "Only if they catch us delivering them!"

It was a cold miserable night and the melting snow was making conditions very slippery so we walked slowly and carefully, which gave my daughter the impression that we were sneaking into peoples' yards (much to her hilarity).

At yard number 3, I could see my neighbour through his living room window, sitting in his chair. My daughter was struggling to keep her laugh in as we crept down his yard. I lifted his letterbox flap without making a sound as my daughter rested her chin on the windowsill, watching in hope that he would discover us. We didn't even turn around to exit the yard, just walked backwards whilst watching intently in case we got discovered.

We had completed most of our deliveries when I bumped into a friend and she asked what we were doing out so late. She said not to deliver a card to number 3 because JW (name withheld) had died last night. Both my daughter and I informed my friend that we had just seen the gentleman in question so her information was wrong. To our horror, another neighbour confirmed that the gentleman had indeed died and this put doubts into what we saw earlier that evening.

My daughter was not frightened, but was desperate to return to the gentleman's house for another look. When we got there later that evening, the light was still on in the living room, but the chair and house were deserted. My daughter and I questioned each other over the night's events but, as we both had known the gentleman for many years, we satisfied ourselves that it was him that we had seen.

Other hauntings by Davey1966

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Davey1966, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ghostpost (2 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-24)
That story is amazing. Almost as if the paranormal powers that be, knew you were coming with his Christmas card. The man had died, but made an appearance in his living room for you both to see.
Sarah (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-14)
Aw, a sad but sweet story. It gave me a Christmas feel good feeling. Well told.😁
Davey1966 (2 stories) (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
Sorry for the late response but work commitments have kept me busy over the last three days.

As an extra slant on this story reminded to me by my daughter as she read this. As we were looking through the window, JW was facing forward towards his fireplace and chimney breast. He had a poker in his hand raking through the ashes and coals in his fire (we couldn't see the fire but could see the poker and the arm movements that he was making whilst the poker was in his hand). When we went back for the second look later that evening, I noticed that JW had a gas fire in his living room so would not need to rake through ashes - his open fire had been taken out 15 years earlier.
ERizzy (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-28)
Hmm... I wonder what he died of? And nice story very "christmasy" if that's how you spell it 😆

-ERizzy
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-28)
I am guessing that you did confirm that the man had passed that next day?

Cute Christmas ghost story- very sweet.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-27)
loved it. What a nice Christmas "spirit" that must have been 😉. Thanks for sharing!
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-27)
You saw what you saw. Was it JW, not ready to move on or something you expected to see? I suspect the former. Great story, well told.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: