You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Photographs / Videos / EVP :: Evp? Can A Piano Hold Residual Energy Or Be Haunted?

Real Ghost Stories

Evp? Can A Piano Hold Residual Energy Or Be Haunted?

 

My family and I recently bought a home that was built 10 years ago. We moved in 1 month ago today and we've never had any paranormal or strange things happen. The house itself feels fresh and positive so I don't think it's the house.

The sellers asked if we wanted an old piano they had so we said yes. I can see why because it weighs about 1000lbs and after doing some research I found its a 1908 Wellington made by Cable. It needs tuned, but everything works and doesn't sound too bad for being 107 years old.

Anyway, my fiancé taught our son a song last night and today I tried to sneak a video while he played so I could send it to her. I am a strong grown man, but after playing back the video, it shook me up good. I didn't hear it while he was playing and I'm not even sure an iPhone 6 can pick up an EVP. I just don't know anything about them, but it's clear as can be.

There might be some other things in there that are really hard to hear. I may just be listening too close, but my fiancé said there's a real faint scream also. If someone can help, I'm going to try to post it, hopefully someone can make sense of this or run a sound wave thing like they do on TV.

My son exhales a deep breath and then just before he hits a key, you can hear it. It's as clear as can be. We were the only two home and the TV was muted, nothing else could have said this.

I know what it says, but I want someone else to hear it and see if they hear the same thing. Please help, I am not able to sleep. Is it possible for pianos, especially old upright pianos like this one to hold residual energy or somehow be haunted? Thanks.

I guess I have to upload this to YouTube, I've never heard of soundcloud. Can I send this video to someone? I don't want to put it on YouTube for the whole world to see. I don't have a YouTube account either. Thanks again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Whiplash00, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-13)
Greetings, Whiplash.

You did state that the upright piano was sold to you by the family who moved out if the house, correct? Did they tell you where they got it from? Was it an old family heirloom, for example, or did they get it cheap at an estate sale so their kids could practice for piano lessons?

Provenance aside, taking ownership of the piano does mean caring for it as Tweed explained. Even when discussing purely physical conditions for the piano, it may need time to adjust as you settle in to your home. After all, what are the odds that the previous homeowners and you like the thermostat set at exactly the same temperature in winter, open windows or use an AC in summer, even use the same aerosol cleaning products? As you are aware of its weight, I presume you had to shift the piano (painting/wallpapering) and jostle it back into place, or you moved it into a different room where it would be exposed to different levels of sunlight, ambient temperatures, breezes, etc.

While any supernatural energy may be attached to any thing, the few piano-related hauntings of which I have read/heard were positive, as the piano was a source of comfort and relaxation to now-deceased former owner (research "The Stanley Hotel," hauntings, and look for stories about Mrs. Stanley's piano). The worst thing that could happen with a haunted piano is you get an excitable "Jerry Lee Lewis wannabe" ghost belting out "Great Balls o' Fire" at 4:30 am.

Take care,
-Biblio.
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-05)
I'm with the others here. We like evidence so would love to hear it!

Try not to worry yourself too much about it, but definitely pay attention to what's going on around you.

Thanks for sharing!
Emalyne (2 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-02)
My aunt (may she rest in peace) said she had a friend who bought the bed that was once in John Bell's cabin. When he put the bed in his home, which was previously not haunted, things began being thrown from their places on the shelves. He put the bed in storage because he couldn't get rid of the spirits attached to it any other way. There could be a spirit attached to an old piano, but if it didn't harm anyone, I don't really think there's anything to worry about. And, I wouldn't put salt in it either. If you're worried about it, you could dip your finger in some blessed anointing oil, and draw a cross on the top of the piano with it, and pray over it. But, like I said, I really don't think it's anything to worry about if there are no physical manifestations.
frangelica1 (40 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-01)
Whiplash,

I just read your story and just now I had been reviewing my fiance's song clip (he sings and plays the guitar) that he sent me because he thought he heard on playback a spirit saying the word "up" during the "up in heaven' part of his song. I have also gotten some EVPs before on my recorder during some spiritual sessions I record, so it wouldn't surprise me if he and you may get some words on your own recordings. Previously, when he videotaped himself playing another song on his guitar, we even noticed after watching a playback many times that there was an orb that flew into his guitar very quickly. So it could be possible that you did get an EVP or it could be just noise on your recording like some of the other repliers here have mentioned.

I think a lot of us would love to hear the clip you got and we could remove residual noise so you could hear everything clearer for a better review. Until then, please don't be frightened based on the one incident.
DeathByDonut (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
Tweed:
Sorry but can't just stop and control my laughing after imaging someone putting salt in his/her piano just to clean it from spirts.

Yours respectfully,
DBD
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
Oh Msforgettmenot I LOVE your spin on this, I hope you stay or stick around on YGS! 😆 Completely agree!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
Christ on high.

Just so there's no bitterness which *may* erupt from this...

Donut, putting salt inside a piano really is something that a lot of people would do. As salt is a traditional cleansing method favoured by many. It's a very easy mistake to make. I wasn't like aiming for laughs at, or singling ZulaGirl out with my comment. It was coming from years and years of experience of people doing very peculiar things to pianos. I made the salt connection after I posted, saw it as another possible peculiar, innocent, well intended mistake that anyone could easily make and warned against it. In this *particular* instance only.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
whiplash, I too had to leave behind a overly large piano, when my parent's house was sold. So large it had arrived into the living room through the unfinished windows as the house was built.
How dearly I would love to hear my Mom's unusual but wonderful voice singing her favorite, Glow little Glow worm.
My thoughts are, have no fear a music lover, from now or the past would be harmless. Perhaps not a scream, but a high soprano a little off key. Look forward to hearing it.
DeathByDonut (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
Tweed:
ROFL... Just imagining some one putting salt in Piano. Hahaha...
😆
DeathByDonut (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
Agreed with Tweed. I don't think you should take it seriously (Even if it has something paranormal) as the piano is 107 years old and must have some faults in it. And I think that the scream you heard might be a screeching sound from piano keys or something in its interior (Old things always generate stupid creepy screeching sounds).

If it is just the sounds and you haven't felt any presence then just relax because I don't think a piano will harm you in any way.

Yours respectfully,
DBD
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
Oh jeesh and please, for the love of all things good, don't put salt inside your piano.
Just got to ZulaGirl proof this. Salt is a long held traditional cleansing method, I know you love it, that's all well and good, just not *inside* a piano, or any instrument.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
Hi Whiplash,

You can separate the sound from the video in Imovie, save the audio as an mp3.
You can then upload the mp3 audio file to a file hosting site.
I just found this one, don't know if they're any good but anyway:
Http://www.filedropper.com/

Feel free to email me the audio file. I have a bunch of editing and manipulating tools at my disposal. My technicians guess is that the scream you heard was down to the automatic 'trim' within the microphone on the phone. But obviously I haven't heard it and you indicate there's a message in some form of words spoken.
I got to remind you that your attention was on the piano, so your perception is linking it to the piano. It could well be nothing to do with it. The voices could just as easily be unrelated to the instrument. I've met some neglected pianos but never come across one which gave off a bad vibe.
Is your home contemporary, minimalistic and/or modern in decor? That sort of thing can be a shock to something which naturally soaks in ambiance, as wooden instruments do. The poor thing might just need time to adjust and settle in.
Autonomy aside, all pianos need to be acclimatised believe it or not. It takes a few weeks. Any negative energy in the piano will be kicking around. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT ALL PIANOS DO THIS! Also don't get it tuned straight away, you need to wait a week or so, I've always given it a month, especially for old pianos, part of acclimatising. If you get it tuned straight away you'll only wind up with an out of tune piano. Any piano tuner who tells you otherwise is after fast cash or just an idiot. Also you'll probably need to get it tuned at least 3 times its first year, if it's been neglected. This is normal too.

But I'd take your attention away from the piano, because if you were filming an old chair you'd think the chair was haunted.😉
tzekai (2 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
hi whiplash:) your story really caught my attention, try uploading it to youtube, its easy to register an account if you have google, or send it to me.

Anyway,yes its possible that residual can happen, that piano is 107 years old, it may absorb all the energy in the past, that's why it replays now. (sorry for my english, I'm a filipino and I'm not really fluent in english, I just hope that you would understand me somehow. (
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
Whiplash00 - just a personal opinion here, but I do believe the piano could hold energy. Think of the many times, hopefully, it was played and the emotions from the person playing it. There are so many scenarios that could go with that, from it being a prized possession to it being neglected and forgotten.

As for the EVP, I use soundcloud but my friends still can see what I post on there. I don't know if there is a setting you can choose to make it private or for just select people 😕 I know some of our members, far more knowledgeable about that than I, will be able to offer you assistance.

I hate for you to have to send the EVP to possibly a dozen or more people, but I would love to listen to it. Maybe we can all wait until you find an easier way to make it available.

Thanks for sharing this experience with us 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: