You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: The Doll

Real Ghost Stories

The Doll

 

Greetings,

I am an aspiring filmmaker attending several local colleges; in 2014 I decided to shoot some supernatural short film subjects. After completing several projects using dolls (poppets) and a voodoo ritual at an abandoned zoo and then the Bronson Caves weird things started to happen. I am a bit shocked as the voodoo black magic segment did not target any specific person or group and I took the lines for the curse from an old song and reworked it, not any real source of black magic or voodoo, all of this pure fiction that would not attract any real or imagined force. What I thought was harmless fun.

In searching for better more realistic DOLLS I am always on the lookout for antique or used dolls that might be interesting. I looked in many thrift and antique shops for old DOLLS. Puttering around a huge thrift shop in the San Fernando Valley in May 2014, I ran across an old doll that was crudely handcrafted. The doll had a small tag sewn inside with a name and dated 1999. The cloth doll features were nothing special, a simple print dress, black button eyes and thin cloth rope. The rope was sewn in both hands with three knots tied at each side and a rusted brass five pointed star (pentagram) to the centre of the rope. The used doll was bargain priced at $1.99. I jumped to purchase the doll for use in an upcoming short on a Friday afternoon.

The Doll

On Saturday morning I tried putting my laundry in the washing machine which would not operate. After losing a dollar in the coin operated machine, and opening and closing the lid several times, another person arrived and it worked perfectly. My phone stopped working even though I had just topped up and paid for the next month\'s service. I hit the web key and went to my account information. A message read: "Sorry, your account isn't valid."

That afternoon I started working on a large wooden model house made from Balsa wood. I punched out several wood pieces from the window frame; one fell out onto the floor. I arranged the three pieces that landed on the table. I could not find the window pane that flew to the floor. I looked by the desk and around the floor. I got the sponge mop out and moped around the desk trying to locate the wood piece, which had apparently DISAPPEARED.

On Sunday it got scarier when I went to the bathroom sink. I put some hair gel on, and rinsed my hands with water, checked myself in the mirror, satisfied. I simply wiped my hands on my T-shirt and turned to walk away from the sink. I had taken a couple of steps, when I heard a plop. Something plastic had just hit the floor. I looked down and saw the plastic hand soap dispenser just landed next to my foot. I looked back and wondered, how in the world could this happen? The experience shook me the whole day. It was if something was saying; don't forget to wash your hands with soap and water. This has happened actually several times, I know it sounds stupid but it is scary.

The next day, Monday, the small wooden piece that I was looking for on Saturday mysteriously appeared on the floor right where I was looking. I examined the doll, took some photos. What struck me was the innocent appearance of the doll, which to me did not belay any menace. I knew I had to get rid of the doll. I removed the rope and star, thinking I would keep those items as props. I then gave the doll to our doll design guy and put the cloth rope and star in an upper desk drawer.

Later, that same day, I had put some coupons on my desk. Every time I passed by the desk, from the corner of my eye, I saw a blue pair of scissors (I had lost months previously) in the same place where I had put the coupons. I looked closely at the desk, focused, I saw the coupons. I examined the coupons and desk. No scissors. I was still working on the model house. I had a floor fan going as I worked on the wooden pieces. A small section of wallpaper blew behind the table. When I moved the desk back to find the missing piece of paper, I found the scissors. Needless to say I removed the cloth rope and star and threw the items away. After giving the doll away and discarded the rope and star the strange happenings stopped.

Whatever this entity is it seems to have telekinetic and telepathic powers. I am not sure what I am dealing with. Even though I have discarded the doll and star... Strange things continue to happen, sometimes small items disappear. I have done a little experimenting as it seems to derive in part anyway from the energy of the export of certain digital film files from iMac, as crazy as that sounds it seems to be part of this series of events. As a joke because I am a realist and do not believe in the supernatural, ghosts or the occult. I thought this was just mumbo jumbo but it appears to be some kind of energy force. What's your take?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Digitalfilmghost13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Martin (602 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-01-01)
Note: some photos provided by the author have been published.
Julesylou (16 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-27)
I'm not sure your statement of not believing in ghosts is quite true... I think with all the work you have put in maybe you've thought: if I caught something real or wouldn't it be awesome if it just happened. Those thoughts and your energy may be the cause of your "haunting"
You may be manifesting things because of your subconscious thoughts, your dedication to your work may be the driving force.
If I were you, I would look into a cleansing. Shake off the negativity the subject matter of your work is attracting. Focus on the entertainment value instead of the fear, perspective is important when focusing your energy. How you feel it and see it subconsciously will manifest, so focus and internalization is important.
If it is an entity, it is your energy that is fueling it, so control your energy and control the manifestations.
Good luck
Jules
thedudebraski (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-15)
very interesting story. Since you don't believe in the supernatural maybe you are working yourself too hard and have a series of delusions and forget where you place things, as for the soap maybe it got caught on your shirt and it fell landing next to your foot, I wear tall tees and work in a kitchen, my shirt is always pulling ladles spatulas knifes and other various items and they always seem to land near my boots, or the doll could of been possessed; I know you don't believe in that but it is possible
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-23)
DFG13: I ain't afraid o' no ghost! LOL

After reading over your previous comments it seems to me that you're what I call "a closet believer"; one who believes but doesn't want to openly admit it for whatever reason. There's nothing wrong with feeling that way. Eventually, we all get to the point where we could care less what others think about our belief in the paranormal.

Another thing that we learn is to look for mundane explanations before deeming any event paranormal, either because we watch all the TV shows, or because we've learned to do so on our own. Sometimes, sharing our experiences with others helps us to see events from a different perspective.

That being said and in my opinion, there isn't anything in this account that I can call paranormal. I think your experiences can be attributed to the power of suggestion. Kind'a like watching a documentary on creepy crawly bugs and suddenly your skin starts itching. The mind is a very powerful thing and open to suggestion, however subliminal.

Thank you for posting!
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-23)
Digitalfilmghost13, you ask if I am English; I am American.
Be aware not all strange happenings have paranormal causes, and facts can be twisted to fit almost any scenario. One may not even know they are doing this. In your case, I do hope things have come to an end. You do realize this means you can no longer say you don't believe in the supernatural, right?
Digitalfilmghost13 (1 stories) (3 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
We do not believe! WE FEAR.

[at] valkricry You are spot on. Are you English? Several other things have happened that point to your information and theory are correct. What I really needed to know was the spirits "MOTIVE" for harassing me. You gave me that answer. For that I thank you.

About two weeks ago, I couldn't sleep, it was about 2:00 AM. I heard a low voice say: "PLEASE STOP." I wondered what was meant by this. I jumped about five feet, I had chills down my back.

I have taken you adivse and apologized to the spirit in the evening and told the entity I meant no disrespect. When I woke up this morning and going through my music on my iTunes, there was a song title that was erased. When I looked closely and typed in the title it was of all things "In And Out Of My Life". Hopefuly this will end this CRAZY series of events.

I thank everyone for there input.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
FirehouseDracula - it's amazing how many stories make it on our site that the o/p passes off as, in your words, are REAL GHOST STORIES. This one isn't nearly as bad as some we've published, only to find out the author is full of crap yet continues to try and pass of his/her attempts at amateur literature.

At least Digital was upfront about being a student and didn't lie about it, or set out to deceive us about that part. The rest of the story I haven't made up my mind about.

But let me put your mind at ease, FHD, us great mods and other genuine and often trained helpful people 😉 continue to be on the look out for those who repeatedly try and put one over on us.
Harris (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-22)
Hi Digitalfilmghost13,
That were the ghost actions, but don't worry about it. You just should read the ebook "Love of the Dead" ,a true story about young girl killed herself and then her soul come back underworld disturb her relative. Luckily, a Vietnamese exorcist has fought and neutralized that guilty soul, gave her a optimistic view of the afterlife to integrate and regeneration... For my side, this is very interested psychic book, base on it, you can understand the ghost's behavior and thinking...
Here the link: www.smashwords.com/books/view/468244
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-21)
Digital,

The words of your chant may have been made up... A work of fiction by you for your project but what of the individuals around you? Did EVERYONE know it was completely made up? Or did you, with your sense of humor tell or let anyone think your 'harmless' chant was based on solid... Factual research?

Mind over matter can be a powerful 'force' and energies may have been stirred up enough to cause things to happen.

I am going to remain on the fence because you clearly state you are an aspireing film maker right at the begining of your 'experience' but in your last couple of comments you have 'reduced' yourself to Simply a student in digital photography and film editing. I also feel, this is me personally, that you may be trying to pull our chains just to see our reaction... Based on how you treated the individual who told you 'Christ/Religion' could help you. This also makes me think you may have told people it was a 'ritual doll' and that the 'chant' was legit and was used with the doll in question... Am I right?

So nothing personal but I am shaking out the BS Blankie as I sit on the center field fence just in case it needs to be tossed.

Respectfullly,

Rook
Digitalfilmghost13 (1 stories) (3 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-09-21)
[at] FirehouseDracula Thank you for your responses. Just to be clear I am a film student, NOT an actual filmmaker but simply attending a local community college. The short film projects I have made were in January, February 2014 and have nothing to do with the current release of Annabelle.

All the work I have done is academic and NOT for release to the public. Nor am I seeking any publicity, funding, money etc. I am not a screenwriter looking to write a feature either. I am simply taking some classes in digital photography at a local college, along with a digital workshop for film editing.

[at] valkricry Thank you. All interesting comments and I agree. The doll in question with the button eyes was actually purchased at a thrift store and I was going to modify with a costume and take away the buttons etc.

I agree also that what I was doing was a student project and would not be believable that was not my aim. Which is why I am a bit shocked. Events overcame me after editing my footage in April and May.

Interesting comment: "Ok, for the sake of giving you some insight into why these things maybe happening (and putting down the discrepancies, and confusion as to writing ability), it is possible that you somehow irritated a spirit. Most spirits, like their breathing counter parts, do not like to be mocked. By the way, if you had added the details to your original post you gave in your comment, things may have been answered a bit differently."

Interesting thank you for your response. I will take your advise and see what happens.

For the record I will post the student film ritual chant used in the project. Personally I think it is a bit comic book but maybe I angered something.

"The ground crieth blood beneath me. You will not be ready to see the light. Come the dawn you will be gone. GONE! My shadow will fall upon you. My hand will reach out and take you. I call upon the powers of wind and fire. AFFLICTION AND VENGEANCE!"
FirehouseDracula (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-21)
I'm sorry to say this but I find this story a little to hard to swallow. Like bad juju said it sounds way to much like one of those teen horror b grade summer movies that they put out to entertain people in the summer break... Sorry again but I just think you are trying out a story idea for a script. Your style is getting there but please leave your movie script ideas away from this site. This place is for REAL GHOST STORIES ONLY. And for people who genuinely need to let people know what they have had to deal with and often need the help of the great mods and other genuine and often trained helpful people to help them with what is happening around them. It's not a fairy tale site.

FirehouseDracula. Aka Alex.
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-20)
Digitalfilmghost13,
Ok, for the sake of giving you some insight into why these things maybe happening (and putting down the discrepancies, and confusion as to writing ability), it is possible that you somehow irritated a spirit. Most spirits, like their breathing counter parts, do not like to be mocked. By the way, if you had added the details to your original post you gave in your comment, things may have been answered a bit differently.
As I remarked in my earlier comment, everything you mentioned about the 'voodoo ritual' seemed like a farce. Indeed, from what you yourself said, you thought it a joke. It could be that some spirit hanging out at the deserted zoo (why who knows?) decided to teach you a lesson. It hasn't done anything dangerous, or particularly scary. Not saying it can't be nerve racking. But, I don't think it has a connection with the doll. Otherwise it would have gone with the doll. Does that make sense to you?
If I were you, I would apologize to it. Might be all it takes.
Digitalfilmghost13 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-20)
Thank you for your information and responses. I have asked the webmaster to post a image of the "DOLL" in question, so everyone can view the item. If you do not want to believe me that is up to you. But I am telling honestly what has happened, be as cynical as you like.

Regarding the plastic hand soap bottle being "THROWN" at me. I had washed my hands, dried them on my T-shirt and completely turned around. My hand or towel was no where near the plastic soap bottle. Itwas if something was mocking me! As if to say use SOAP and water when washing your hands.

The event On the washing machine I have never had a problem with it, the lid was down and should have been completely operational it would not operate when I put the coins in, I tried opening and closing the lid several times and I check the electrical cord and the connection, the electrical plug was firmly paced in the outlet.

On my mobile phone, I have had the unit for three years and I have never had a problem in particular after I had just paid and topped off. Strange it would claim that my entire account is invalid.

Regarding what I thought was a work of fiction or a joke. I previously did not take religion or any occult, witchcraft seriously. Not all but the vast majority of what I have read or seen in film was a work of fiction and fantasy. When I gave the doll away in one of my art classes. I explained to the individual who designs costumes for dolls what had happened. Too be honest I was frightened and stunned. That I was not comfortable with the item and that items, small things would literally disappear and then later reappear.

Also telekinetic activity of the plastic hand soap dispensor being thrown at me when I turned my back. I had an arguement with one of my classmates regarding religion and his advice was to turn to the Christian faith and pray. I told the individual respectfully that I didn't believe in religion. I then mockingly make the sign of a pentagram I then said, "I call upon the powers of earth, wind, fire, and water... Vengeance!" Again, this done in jest and left the class.

A week later I returned to the class and I was informed by the individual that I argued with was visably up[set and she claimed the item, a large necklace that was carefully placed in a wooden box had disappeared from the box after she had taken it home and she could not locate the item, although she had carefully placed the necklace in the box after the class. OK, you can say that she just lost it right? You can say I am wrong. I wonder if the "Entity" heard the arguement and decided to take this item to spite the individual.

That same day before class I was with other friends who I discussed these alarming and strange events with. A cynical friend exported another cut a digital file from my iMacnot being series, one friend said, "Hail Satan" and then wrote on an end credit card NATAS. Satan spelled backwards. That afternoon, I spilled some salad dressng on one of my lenses of my glasses. I tried cleaning it and it smeared on the lense. I left the restaurant I had walked a block and my clean lense FLEW about 5 feet. Let me be clear it did not come loose and simply drop to my feet or ground. It was as if something had punched with force and it flew from the frame of my glasses over five feet in front of me and then dropped.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-20)
What everybody said. I understand that what people believe on this site seems like a joke to people who don't believe this way, and everyone's entitled to that. Heck, we laugh at ourselves sometimes! Hey sometime we need to make a movie about a guy who trols around ghost conversations and meets a real ghost.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-19)
I am with elnoraemily and other posts Pentagrams are not like devil warship or evil they are a five signs and a symbols also. I have a few friends are pagan and wiccan they teach me some. I am baptist though, I am sure there spirits all over even some of us either can or can't see but I know its there. Okay few things like wash machines, phone etc you name it we all get problem which everyday (phone) lol and look at me I always lose stuff and empear (sorry for the spelling) when ever I clean up. My question what you doing here if you still don't believe in paranormal which made scratch my head lol. I loves dolls by the way and dolls don't bother me if its old.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
Funny I should read this just after seeing an advertisement for a horror movie called Annabelle... Are we working our way up to a months worth of 'doll' STORIES...

Just wondering.

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
Dear Digitalfilmghost13,
My sincere advise to you, is leave the supernatural alone. From your account, I do not believe you could handle any real occurrence of it. I'm sorry, but nothing you said falls into the category of 'strange' as in unexplainable, let alone 'scary'.
If you desire to make any film that is believable, even if it is pure fiction, you need to do research. For instance are you sure the 'rusted' brass 'pentagram' was not a pentacle? There is a difference. Not to mention that brass does not rust. It tarnishes, and can be polished clean again. Unattended to it develops a patina (color) of usually green, but it can be red - over decades.
If, your intent was for using this doll as a voodoo prop - there is just too much wrong there. Your description falls seriously short of what one would be. Button eyes...seriously?
I will not allow myself to start in on your 'curse'... Let me just say your short would never be taken seriously by anyone with even the smallest knowledge of the occult or paranormal.
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
I am going to break this down because I am obsessive and I nitpick.

Making up a spell from an old song is not a real spell. It's most likely not going to summon anything. Most rituals/spells are certain words, certain thoughts, a certain set up.

I think it's strange you point out that it is holding a pentagram. Pentagrams are just symbols- and they are not symbols of evil or anything foreboding. They are used in many religions as decorations- the Mormons use them often in their temples.

The washing machine was likely human error (no offensive). You may have missed a step and then got frustrated with it and kept missing said step. Or the coin may not have been accepted automatically and it took a second for the machine to realize that it had been paid.

The phone thing is fairly common. It is most likely a glitch with the company or the phone itself.

With the soap, your clothes could have caught on the bottle or you may have bumped the sink.

The wood piece and the scissors may have seemed weird, but things often turn up in weird places. Our minds just skip over things that we don't expect to be there- like when you are staring right at something and still can't find it. The brain is used to seeing things a certain way and sometimes won't automatically process that something is there, even if you are looking for it. It's literally a mental glitch.

If the doll did not seem menacing and just seemed like a doll, why the push to get rid of it?

"I have done a little experimenting as it seems to derive in part anyway from the energy of the export of certain digital film files from iMac, as crazy as that sounds it seems to be part of this series of events" - Can you explain what you mean by it deriving energy from exported files? And how you experimented with this?

I already pointed out the stopped but is not over contradiction.


I am not sure why you blamed it on the doll. If it kept happening after the doll was gone, why would the doll have any significance?
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
I noticed what Granny noticed, about how the events stopped but kept going. I would like an explanation of that. It does not seem to fit with the rest of the story.

In the author's defense, I am an atheist and do not necessarily "believe" in the paranormal, I am just open to the idea of it, especially with the father's experiences and my sister's as well. I just have never experienced it and I am a believe it when I see it sort of personality. I think that is what the author was attempting to say, that he is a skeptic and doesn't know what to think.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
DFG13: Wait...What? You're a "realist" and don't believe in ghosts, etc., yet here you are. The strange happenings stopped but still continued.

And what did you do "as a joke"?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+4
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
As Wish-Not has pointed out, your story seems contradictory, and yes, confusing.
My opinion, Mr. Aspiring Filmmaker, is that you're testing out B movie plots on us, and I find that insulting. And with that, I'm walking away from this rough draft before I say something genuinely rude.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+4
10 years ago (2014-09-18)
Digitalfilmghost13- Well my take is confused.

The laundry machine and phone occurrences are pretty normal events. Happen everyday to many, many people. The other can have some normal explanation.

What I am confuse about is that you are giving all these occurrences to the procession of the doll. At first you stated that when you got rid of it, it all stopped. But then you said "Strange things continued"?

Lastly, you stated you are a realist and do not believe in the supernatural. So I'm a little confused. Hope you can fill in some points for me.
Thanks.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: