You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: The Strange Lamb Doll

Real Ghost Stories

The Strange Lamb Doll

 

My dad and I love going to antique stores. Sometimes I'm just drawn to certain items. Once, we went to a new antique store and I went one way to look at a certain booth while he did his own thing. Usually, I like to look at the old toys, wondering who they used to belong to and such.

Well, I came across the very old lamb doll. It was sitting in a baby booster seat. It was clearly handmade by someone and I would say it dated back to the late 1800's, early 1900's. Normally, I don't touch old toys, but I felt like I needed to reach out and touch it. It's ears were stiff as though it had fallen into liquid or something a long time ago. The whole thing looked eerie. I held it and then began to feel very sick to my stomach. I got terrible vibes from it and I had to walk away. The whole time, it was like I was in a trance.

This feeling lasted until I got home. I just couldn't shake this awful energy. I'm not a psychic and this kind of thing doesn't happen all the time. I have had odd experiences happen to me and I have always been interested in ghosts and such. I can't explain this at all. Would this be considered a haunted item or just an item from the past with a bad history and negative energy?

Now, another weird thing about it is that I kept thinking about it and imagined who the toy used to belong to and such. I wouldn't say I had a vision about its history or anything, but I do have a very clear picture in my mind about its origins, the child it belonged to, who made it, and why it had bad energy. But then again, that could just be my imagination creating stories.

Can someone explain this to me, and has anyone else felt very overwhelmed in antique stores because of the same reason?

Thanks:)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, brielilyrose444, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

MelissaLundquist (1 stories) (2 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-05-29)
This very common with antiques as they might have had many owners who could sti be attached to them. Ghosts or spirts can attach in three ways to objects, places or people. In this case maybe a child passed away while the lamb was theirs and they loved it dearly.
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-13)
Hi Brie:

I have experienced this as well. In fact my cousin & I have a rule that if we get an energy from something - good or bad, we leave it at the store. I wouldn't want to take any chances with something that starts off as nice but then turns not so nice.

Thanks for sharing
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-11)
brie,
First off, I'd like to assure you that you aren't alone. Psychometry is one of those 'gifts', that I believe everyone has to some degree or another. Some of us are just naturally more 'attuned', I guess. Places like thrift stores, antique shops, etc. Can take their toll at times. With me it also includes people (if we happen to touch), pictures of them, any item recently handled (if there's a strong enough emotion involved) and the like. Of course sorting 'past' from 'present', can be a bit of a challenge. Of course, except to 'listen' to the past, there's nothing you can do for it. Maybe try to verify what you see/feel and usually that's impossible. But, the 'new' impressions, sometimes you can do something with those.
If you only had this reaction to the lamb doll, I could suggest a much more mundane explanation than 'haunted'. Old stuffed dolls were filled with many things, it depended on what 'filling' was available and could be anything from saw dust, cotton, straw, old rags, to hair. Over time, these fillings (especially the 'natural' untreated kind) could harbor fungi and other bacteria. Your reaction could have come from simply inhaling a release of this 'toxin' when you held the doll. Think of it as a mild allergic reaction. Of course this would depend on your sensitivity to molds and such. This would account for your sick feeling. I'm not saying that is what happened, just a possibility.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-09-11)
Actually the 'Little House' books are published as Historical Fiction... Real Places, real times but not all of the Facts are nonfiction, some of them are made up and others seem to be 'romanticized' by the author. At least that has always been my impression of them.

Interesting point about these books, it demonstrates that fine line between True Facts, Memories and trying to remember details years later. Journals, Journals, Journals... They help keep it REAL. 😉

Respectfully,

Rook
BrownWidowGirl (1 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-09-11)
It needs to be noted that the little house books are not fictional. They are real stories about a real family.
Allicatt (5 stories) (68 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-09)
I can completely understand where your coming from, often when going to antique stores or flea markets certain objects project horrible vibes and sometimes when I brave picking it up... If it's not a statue or a chair or sofa. Yes that can happen, I often see the faces of people who have owned it but not always. I often shield myself before going to such places and flood myself with positive energy before entering. While it can be infuriating not to know the story behind certain objects such as the lamb sometimes it's best not to know. Thanks for sharing this, and always remember knowledge, balance and self control is key.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-09)
I would venture to guess a haunted item and an item with a bad past and negative energy wouldn't be much different.

I wouldn't discount the thoughts as being strictly imagination, in the olden days toys were rare and children gave them a lot of energy. Not like today where piles of toys are common, and don't require much interaction, or stay around too long. They also are made by machines and not by grandma or ma or whoever. Some were probably accidentally creepy because grandma wasn't a very good doll maker.

Still in the midst of the "Little House" books - just read about Laura totally falling apart about the neighbor kid taking her rag doll, and she was 10 or so. Far as I know, she still had Charlotte when she got married? Fictional, but the point was made lots of energy and love were in toys in those times.

Don't know what you're imagining, but diseases and fatal accidents were sadly very common for children at that time too. Hopefully it wasn't made by some predator with bad intentions, or anything like that.
brielilyrose444 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-09-09)
Wow, thank you everyone who responded! Isn't it interesting how apparently there is a common theme among lamb dolls? Tweed, I enjoyed your "it should host its own damn show" hahaha.

Ladydarke, you really did well with explaining that. I do think I am sensitive towards certain objects and am open to exploring that. I probably will research it more. I love antique stores but they really take their toll on me.

Lanternspirit, that's so crazy that you'd flashes of that. Out of curiosity, what did it look like?

Thanks everyone:)
Lanternspirit (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-08)
Hi Brie,
I made an account just to comment here. I have been having mental flashes of a haunted lamb/sheep for months now and have been looking on ebay for months waiting for someone to list a haunted lamb plush with no avail. Very bizarre as Tweed had said.

To answer your question there's an antique consignment store around where I live and I regularly see multiple haunted dolls there when I visit and have experienced the feeling you described before.

Thank you for your contribution!
ladydarke (113 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-09-08)
Brie,

This sounds like psychometry, or object-reading. How frustrating when you get an impression that strong, that there's no way to validate the impressions you picked up from the lamb doll, no way to verify whether they're correct.

It's said that everyone is psychic to one degree or another, and everyone has the potential to develop their ability more, just like everyone can draw. Some people like drawing and are naturally artistic and practice a lot because they're interested. But even someone who has never picked up a pencil can still manage stick men and, with practice and training, everyone could eventually sketch a respectable portrait.

Perhaps the lamb doll was simply very much on your frequency, hence your feeling drawn to it and picking up so much from it.

If you're interested, why not do some reading on psychometry and start asking people to let you practice on various objects? That way, you could actually get validation for your impressions and be able to improve.

Also read up on shielding, because anyone working on psychic expansion needs that in their basic primer. That way if you encountered an energy that affected you negatively, you could choose whether to shut it out.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It was well-written and quite fascinating.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-09-08)
Hi Brie,

There are members here who have had similar reactions to places and objects, so you're not alone.

The reason I wanted to comment is because a while back my husband and I were watching some crap on TV, it really was a piece of crap. The reason we left it on is because there was this bizarre looking toy sheep or lamb, antique looking, with the most sinister face. It had clearly been designed for children yet appeared quite evil. We, lovers of creepy nonsense, wanted to know where and when it was made and how one went about obtaining one. It was merely a prop in a scene and not part of the story. But we thought it should host it's own damn show for being so deliciously menacing.

Well, I don't know what was up with the toy lamb you encountered, but I can relate to being drawn to an antique sheep/lamb doll thing. Very bizarre.

Thanks for sharing! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: