You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mr. Winfred

Real Ghost Stories

Mr. Winfred

 

I have been wanting to fill in some time from my last story. The last story took place around four years ago. However, I think I'm just going to start submitting sporadically through out the past four years.

I titled this one "Mr. Winfred". It's about a visitor we had this past summer that was only with us for one day. He left just as he showed up, quite quietly.

It was a typical Saturday around our place. Morning coffee with the local/national news. A quick breakfast before we start our weekend chores. Fortunately for me, my list is smaller than Jennifer's. However, I had larger projects waiting for me outside.

Before I went back to school to get this office, job I was a carpenter for 16 years so I have some skills that I enjoying using on the weekends. I repurpose old wood into furniture. We took down a 100 year old barn this past spring so my backyard looks like an antique lumberyard.

As I was setting up to get started, I was hauling tools out that would be needed for the day's activities. I am usually aware of my surroundings and the things that should be there and the ones that are not. I had an armload of tools as I came out the back door and was about to head down the deck stairs when I noticed something WAY out of place. (Insert goose bumps going up my legs.)

To my right, and not my far right, something/somebody was standing only 20 feet from where the deck steps meet the yard. It was a dark, tall and motionless...thing. I quickly took a double take but as I turned my eyes only the slightest bit, it was gone. It wasn't way to the side in my peripheral. I would say at my 2:30. That make sense? Well, I obviously jumped as my heart went into overtime. I knew something was there. Or did I?

I assumed I was imagining something and went on with my doings. I had my work station set up with what I was needing and proceeded with my project. After a few hours of creative work, I stopped to get me something to eat. I went inside to enjoy the sandwich Jen made and made small talk as I finished. My chair sets in front of the dining room window. As I stood to make myself ready to head out I glanced out the double window and there it was again (goose bumps). Now at my 10:30 but just as quickly disappeared. I said a quick, "Oh $h*t" as I searched the backyard. Jen asked what was that about so I relayed the previous experience and along with the one that just happened. She is used to visitors so she didn't freak.

I was realizing something totally different was happening that day. That had me on my guard and on edge. I went on outside to finish up on what I was going to do that day BUT had a plan for our guest. I told myself, "Self, don't look directly at it next time." I theorized IF I didn't look directly at it, it would remain there and I could examine it closer.

So that was my plan. Sigh, it didn't work. "It" waited a couple more hours and for my guard to let down to show up again. I was on my way up from the lower part of the house outside. As I reached the steps to the deck, it was waiting on me as I made the corner. DRAT! Looked right at it and it was gone. I cursed myself for not NOT looking. But I did and there you go, PUFFF gone.

I have no idea who or what it was. It never felt threatening, mean, or anything actually. What impression I did get was a tall man, 6'6" at least that was wearing a black suit. Standing ridged with his chin square and straight (more goose bumps). Just watching. Staring. He/it has not been back since.

So, what does everyone think? Will welcome any and all comments. I realize this one would not be considered scary but there was a shock. Thanks for reading!

P.S. I titled this "Mr. Winfred" because of the suit and how stern he stood. Just seemed to fit.

Other hauntings by Wish-Not

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wish-Not, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-28)
J_B_P_D- The barn was about 5 miles south of Batesville, Arkansas
J_B_P_D (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-26)
Was the barn you are talkng about in Batesville, Mississippi?
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-28)
notjustme- The barn was the grandfathers of someone that comes in my office once a month for the Credit Bureau. She saw some of my barnwood frames that I use for my woodburnings and asked if I would be interested in taking it down for her.

It was an odd visit. I guess because he did allow me to see him the three different times. But then would not allow me to "study" him. Completely harmless. No ill intentions. Just looking.

Thanks for reading
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
Wish-Not: Interesting and fun account. I wonder who's barn was it that you took apart? Maybe it belonged to him at one point and he was just keeping an eye on what you planned to do with his wood? I picture him looking "BOSS"...hahaha so maybe he thought you were a worker and made sure you were "doing your job" 😆
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
Wish-Not,
Your welcome.
I actually already read "they hate vacuuming" because you mentioned it in a comment. Even though what you saw in that storie wasn't a shadow figure/man but a black mass, I'm pretty sure I've witnessed something like that once maybe twice though I'm not 100% sure. My next storie that contains the shadow thing that I see will probably have pictures I'm going to illustrate what I see and what I remember seeing and include a draw picture of a simple layout of upstairs and if you read the storie when it comes out tell me if any are like anything you've seen.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
Sam222- Thanks for taking time to read my story. But this is the only one that involved this type of thing. He made it obvious to me that he was there but only aloud the brief moments to see him.

I do have a story that involves a black mass though. It's the first story titled "They Don't Like Vacuuming"

Thanks again.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
Wish-not,
So this is what you meant when you told me you've dealt with theses shadow people before. I am so happy you decide to post another story. This one was interesting, and it's kind of like what I see but in the dark and it disappears like it did to you. I know I don't like shadow people. When I think of them it reminds me of guys in black suits that stalk people, They seem like bad people always watching you from the shadows. I have this theory that spirits take the form they choose and one of the forms is shadow people and that these shadow peole don't like to shadow themselves for more than a split second. Have you got any other stories about shadow people that your going to post.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-19)
pjs1977- Well if he's waiting to see what we are putting in place of the barn, he's going to have a long wait. We took this barn down on someone else's property located probably 16-20 miles away from were it's stacked now. We have no plans to put anything in place of the barn. We did leave a few hand-hued pine logs but they were going to be burned at some point and time. We've had the barn stacked in the backyard since late March/early April. No real increase of activity. Just the normal stuff. LOL if one wants to call it normal. It's normal around here. Read some of my stories that cover the last four years and you'll understand.

Ghoulish? Not so much. More stern and proper. Never threating. Just obvious. Just left or right of center.

Thanks for taking time to read and comment.
pjs1977 (2 stories) (48 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-19)
Well wish-not remember when you said you disassembled a 100 year old barn? I think doing so may have upsetted a spirit and now he is watching you not as a bad thing he won't bother you I am almost sure of it, but wants to see what your going to put in place of the old barn. Another thought maybe the wood itself may contain something from the past. This barn is a 100 years old so you know it has some history. But that thing in your peripheral vision as you described as black 6'6 wearing a suit sounds odd and ghoulish.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-19)
ZumZum- We have had ALL kinds of activities around our yard over the past four years. Some of my previous stories mentions some of them. And well before we brought the old barn home. It was actually located a few miles south of Batesville. We live about 8 miles west so it's quite far from one point to the other.
And we are visited quite often. Some stay longer than others. This just happen to be the first one that "revealed" itself physically. I'm guessing it could have come incognito and I would have never known. That being said I'm guessing again that it did what it did for a reason. I just don't have a clue what that would be.

Thanks for taking time to read my story and commenting.
ZumZum (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-19)
First thing that came to my mind is that it was just curious about what you were doing and stopped by to check it out. You say you had some old wood from a barn you took down in your back yard, I'm wondering if you ever noticed any activity around those that might've drawn Mr. Winfred there.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
haha that must be a Guinness record for tall cat! Get a picture next time! And same here, waiting for 5:30 to hit so I can leave
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
spookie1- Only 4pm here in Arkansas. I'm waiting for 4:30 to get off work. Ha
Mr. Winfred was only here for one day way back in the middle of summer so not too worried about him now.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
ifihadyoux- I guess he was curious, he took time to spend a Saturday with me. However, what is time for them? Is their day measured the same as ours?

And if it was a cat, dang that was a tall cat! That would be kind of a "B" horror movie.
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
Slenderman! Hahaha joke... The best of luck to you with your entity, my advise is get a blessing or cleansing, or a paranormal invetigator team. Better to be safe than sorry right? OMG I should really go to sleep now... Its midnight, I spend way to much time on this site haha

Regards
Spookie1
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
I wonder if it was just as curious about you as you are of it. Or maybe it was a cat. 😜
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
I sort of have the image of him being a cat. Just hopping around, peeking.

Despite the fact that it was likely very creepy.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
elnora- You know I just don't know. He was like the shadow figures that only allow a glimpse of them and they're gone. When I saw he out of the window I got the impression he had been staring up into our dining area, my back the whole time I was in there.
Passing through? Absolutely. Really strange though. Almost like an "Observer"? Curious as hell to say the least.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
This is really interesting. I loved how you used the time to show were he was. Made it really, really easy to visualize!

It's weird that he would vanish as soon as you got a look at him. Maybe he just wanted to be acknowledged in some way as he was passing through?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: