You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Father's First Experience

Real Ghost Stories

My Father's First Experience

 

Though my father has experienced a lot of activity in his life, this is the first one he ever told me about. This one is fairly short (I have mentioned it briefly on here before) and I tend to forget it in contrast to his other experiences.

In the small town he lives in, there are only so many jobs teenagers could get. Fast food, serving, factory (which have since almost all closed) or the theater in town. The theater (I will leave the name out for privacy's sake) was built in 1906 as an opera house. It's quite old and elaborate, as well as being fairly large. It is four stories tall, many rooms and even still has the balconies in the side walls of the theater where people used to watch the opera performances. He did a little bit of everything there, from tickets to maintenance. In a building that old, maintenance is a daily chore.

There was always a feeling of being watched while in the building. Not menacing, mind you, but the feeling of curiosity, as though someone was trying to figure out where you fit in. It was not necessarily friendly, but not mean either, if that makes any sense.

One day, one of his chores was to repaint the banisters all the way up to the upper floors. Not a terribly difficult job and my father set to it. As he worked his way up the stairs, he began to get a feeling that he was being observed, though no one was around him.

He never saw anything, but he began to hear whispers coming from the landing above him, which he could clearly see was vacant. He remembers them saying, "What is he doing?" and "Why is he doing that?" The voices sounded annoyed with him painting the banisters and also a bit curious, as though they cannot figure out why someone would do that. A lot of the whispers were too low to be understood, but they got louder the farther up he went.

He finished his job quickly and left for the night. He still felt watched after that experience. I don't think he has ever gone to the theater to watch a movie in quite a long time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, elnoraemily, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
I like the blue ones, too! I think they made a better pop. I sort of hope they keep them, even if they don't match:P

Looking at the picture, he was essentially right below the balcony, I believe, when he could really hear the voices.
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
Val - But now that I understand your comment I think you have a good point there. Hmmmm 🤔 makes me think...
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
at spookie, No problem. That sort of thing happens all the time. Even took me a bit to figure out what you were on about 😉 But IF you had read properly (meaning if I had meant what you thought) your deduction would have been spot on! 😆
elnora, I notice the balcony seats still seem to be blue! Color me crazy, but I think the blue ones look more elegant than the red ones...
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
Ohhhh yes. Sorry Val I misread. I apologise for the misunderstanding 😐
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
hahah that is my job spookie! 😆

And elnora, it looks beautiful and yeah being almost 100 years old I would hope they remodel it so it looks even more beautiful. ❤ 😳
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
spookie, I think you misread my comment. People attending a play are seated in the audience, I think you thought I said participating in a play. In which case unless he was painting by the stage, the voices would not get louder.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
Sadly, I think it only have 4 boxes. It's kind of awesome though, the screen is tilted up so the people on the balcony can see. I wish I could find a picture of the lobby. I've only been there once with my grandma when I was tiny. They had blue seats then though. It looks like they remodeled a bit.
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
Lol ifihadyoux you always manage to make me laugh 😆 hahaha your a funny but awesome person
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
omg it even has boxes... Is there a box 5? I seriously am now more curious about the architecture than anything and I want to go there.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
http://s46.photobucket.com/user/elnoraemily/library/?view=recent&page=1

Lookie! Pictures! I got them off their website. They are not the best, but it one of them you can see the top of the balcony. Those banisters run all the way down the stairs and that is why my Dad had to paint. They just remolded the place a bit.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
Val, that's a good point. If they thought it was performance and he was painting, it would be annoying. How could you walk down the stairs with a wet banister? That thought never even occurred to me!

Spookie, that's an interesting thought as well. Maybe he walked into them doing something as simple as gossiping and he was not the intended target of their annoyance.

I like how you guys think.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
ME TOO! I even have a phanniversary [which was Nov 10th]. It's been 9 years. And I phantom tattoo. >_>

Sorry for stealing the show. -walks through a mirror and vanishes in mist;
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
-2
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
Valkricry - It couldn't have been because the voices got louder the higher he went on the stairs. 🤔
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
elnora, your dad must be (at least some what) sensitive to the paranormal. He's had such interesting encounters! I wonder if those voices thought they were attending a play (in which case painting the banisters would have been very annoying).
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
It may be a residual haunting where multiple spirits are involved talking about another spirit going up the stairs at the exact time that your dad did? Just a thought. Thanks for sharing elnoraemily, was a good read 😊

Regards
Spookie1 😆
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
It's one of my favorite movies:P I support singing that song, always:P
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
haha anytime. As soon as you said opera... Well that's where my mind went... >_> 😆 ❤
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
Hahaha, Ifihadyoux, that made me smile. Thanks for that:P

Wish-not: Thank you:) I keep asking my dad everyday if anything has happened:P I find it fascinating. He's very (like very, very) OCD so I get all the details. It's nice.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
The phaaaaaaaaaaaaaantom of the opera is thereeeeeeeee, insiiiiiideee your miiiiind. Okay sorry, I hard to go there. Huge phan. 😆

ANYWAY, I was going to say that sounds like a residual haunting but the way they said things like "why is he doing that" makes me wonder if it was intelligent. A building being as old as it is probably has a lot of energy, maybe even a true haunting, especially from the excitement and emotion from all of the shows. Interesting story!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
elnora- You able to give such detail to your fathers experiences. Absolutely love it. Almost seems like you were there.
Great experience and a great read.
Waiting on your... Well the next one.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: