You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: My Haunted Life

Real Ghost Stories

My Haunted Life

 

We had this dog when I was a kid, her name was Rags and she was fairly ancient by the time I was eleven. So old in fact that I wasn't even surprised when she passed. For years afterwards as I cowered underneath the covers in my childhood bedroom I could hear the soft clicking of her nails on the linoleum kitchen floor. My parents always told me it was the result of an overactive imagination. Of course, that was the explanation they offered me when I was age sixteen and still slept every night with the covers over my head.

It wasn't just Rags that made me afraid in their house, it was everything else. Little noises and sounds. For as long as I could remember, I would wake up because someone would say my name right in my ear. So loud it would jolt me from sleep. Was I dreaming?

As I grew older it became easier to write these things off as silly childhood fears and for several years I made due with just that. When I turned 22 I moved into a new apartment with my boyfriend and soon began to experience that same feeling again. I couldn't explain it quite right. It just felt... Empty and wrong. After years of feeling secure the feeling had returned.

Often nights I would spend laying on my back in bed, watching a shadow move precariously back and forth in front of the bedroom door. Eventually I began waking up to the feeling of fingers poking and prodding into my legs and breath in my ear. One night I was sitting on my bed talking to my boyfriend and we both heard the word "hello" come from a male voice in the living room, there was nobody there upon investigation.

My cats began to act very strangely and out of character. One night I sat on the couch, home alone I heard the unmistakable sound of someone sitting down in my office chair, the slow squeak of it rocking back and forth. Both of my cats were on the couch with me so I knew that neither one of them could be the culprit.

I finally moved out of that apartment, I hated it, the way that it felt. I moved into a new apartment that feels a lot better but strange things still happen. Doors have begun closing on a day when no windows are open. Not even closing, but slamming shut as I walk by them. One night I woke up and I could swear I saw a little boy standing at the foot of my bed. One morning my boyfriend reported that the night before he'd woken up and he thought I was kneeling at the foot of our bed but when he turned to look at where the empty space should be, I was laying there sleeping.

One evening, watching television with my friend Olivia we had quite the scare. We were watching some show and for no obvious reason Olivia stood up from the couch and walked over to the door and stood there. She simply stood there and continued watching TV. Two seconds later a loud bang echoed from the wall right behind where she had just been sitting. To this day she can't remember why she stood up and walked across the room.

So I don't know. Am I haunted or is it just the results of an overactive imagination?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, eve, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
Hello Eve.
Tough question there at the end. I would hope by now you have had a satisfactory answer to that, but I am going to join in.
What I think may be happening is that you may have just been "coming into your own" so to speak in your sensitivity. When ghosts find a person that they can communicate with, in the experience of our house that is, it seems as if they stand in line take a number and wait to be noticed. If you take your time at getting around to them, they appear to send out "feelers", slamming doors, taking your keys, banging on walls, that sort of thing until you finally say "O.k. I know you are there..." (Or yell it, whatever)
Now that it seems you are more comfortable with the idea of things going on around you (notice I did not say you are comfortable, but MORE comfortable) try sending your own feelers out. Say out loud that you are uncomfortable with such shows of existence, and could we please tone it down a bit?
You will probably have to try out a few strategies, but keeping peace in your own mind is important. So tell the things that frighten, "Stop".
Thank you.
eve (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-18)
You guys have been awesome with the comments. Generally I smudge every few months with some sage, I do it myself and just go from seam to seam around every room in my apartment. I also have a giant obsidian rock by my bed because a friend told me it helped to absorb negative energy or something like that. I'm trying to stay nice and mellow about things, even like the door slamming but they still freak me out whether they mean any harm or not. Hopefully one day I'll just be able to accept it for what it is. Thank you guys for all of your input and suggestions. Will keep you updated if anything really whacky happens.

Thanks,
Eve
Kated9 (6 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-16)
Hi Eve,
I'm going to say this, I have heard some noises like that before and this thing may be attracted to you. Are you religious? Because if you aren't I'm going to tell you to smudge (with sage) every single morning and before you go to bed! And also once in a while you should smudge your apartment or your house! Only do it once, once a week it should ward of any unwanted entity or spirit, and hang some sage above your bed and on the inside of you house door. I have tried that and it seemed to work!
May god be with you and thank you for sharing with us!
😆 ❤
Kated9
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-16)
Hi eve! I think KimSouthO is absolutely right. I would say that's why you've had different experiences where you've lived and why you had the feeling of wrongness about your first apartment. I think you must be more sensitive and aware than most people so you are more tuned in to things paranormal. When spirits sense you are open to them, they have opportunities to make themselves known. The door slamming would be unnerving but they probably just want to get your attention. I'm sorry, the only thing I can offer as help would be that if you feel an uncomfortable presence, or something happens (like the doors) that you don't like just ask to be left alone. You could say you don't want to be bothered, or that they are scaring you so please stop. Since you have so much around you, and you're so sensitive to them, you'll probably have to do it a lot because different spirits are around you. Some might not want to leave you alone simply because they like you or they're lonely. Try to stay positive about things because they'll pick up on your energies, also it'll be easier on you for your own peace of mind if you do.😊
4u_allie (7 stories) (42 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-15)
Hello Eve,
I wouldn't say its your imagination. I've had this similar experiance. But, have you had any "fallow's up" after your move with same happenings?

PEACE,
Alex. 😉
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-15)
Dearest Eve, My personal opinion is that you have a sensitivity about you. You since things like my adopted mom. It bothers her sometimes, but just stay strong. Writing stories will help your mind, and those that can give you helpful advise. God bless 😉
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-15)
You may not be haunted or have an active imagination -- it could be you are more sensitive to the surroundings and paranormal activities near you. They may sense this and thus try to communicatte to you.

Good luck,
God Bless
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-15)
If I may ask a question of Young Eve? What form of smudging did you use? There are several, some are more powerful than others. I have directions for one on this site in the articles section. Also placing clear or smoked cleansed charged quartz crystals in the windows and doors of your home will help to keep unwanted visitors from entering. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
davidparker (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-14)
Well I can safely say it's not your imagination. I have had things like this happen to me all the time. I wouldn't worry about it. Do you feel threatened in any way? They don't seem hostile.
Best of wishes, David
😉
XxXKittyLovesYouXxX (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-14)
Perhaps it's that they see a certain interesting thing in you. They could sense your possible ability to find the paranormal, or maybe you have a problem that you rather not say that perhaps they've had when they were living. Maybe it's the owners of the past apartments, maybe it's a deceased love one of you or your boyfriend. This is deffantly NOT an overactive imagination. They best advice I have for you is to welcome the sprit(s) warmly.
-Kitty ❤
eve (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-14)
Dear Bellissima,

Both apartments were smudged several times. In fact the last time my current apartment was smudged I had the worst nightmares of my life for a week afterwards during which my boyfriend thought he saw me kneeling at the end of the bed. I don't think it's the same spirit over and over again but maybe new ones keep popping up? Any ideas why that would happen?

Thanks,
Eve
zozaliny (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-14)
maybe it's just someone who wants to be with you. Sort of welcome them or perhaps talk to them, just recognise that they're there. Maybe they want attention and if you give it/them some they'll stop the attention-seeking door slamming etc?
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-13)
Hi, eve. I don't know what to say. Something's obviously attracted to you. It doesn't seem as if you have to worry, there seems no threat. You should perform a smudge ceremony or at the very least talk to a clergy if you are religious. I'm not religious in any way so this is a bit of a stumper for me. All I can say is don't worry, you seem to be attracted by something non-threatening. I don't know what else to tell you. Take care.
astral_walker (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-13)
hey eve

i liked this story its one of my favourites
i would not say that this is you're imagination. I don't think that there is
anything to be really bothered about. Like you said you have moved out of that apartment with means that the spirit or
spirits wanted to remain with you.

if the spirits have not harmed you in any way I would suggest that they was their for a more complex reason. Not just to freak you out.

if you don't like these spirits I would suggest getting in a priest to bless you house.
i hope this give's you a little help in some way

krispy

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: