You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Mounting Evidence

Real Ghost Stories

Mounting Evidence

 

So you know how a lot of people come to the conclusion that they're being haunted when a few minor things happen? They hear a slight knocking... Maybe something is misplaced, and all of the sudden it must be a spirit from beyond trying to make itself known. Most would consider that jumping to conclusions... But what about when the minor things collect and gather? Is it really a bunch or minor things anymore or is it shifting into something major?

So going on 10 months or so my fiancee and I have been living in this current apartment. First impression wasn't the greatest during my initial walk through, but considering we were living in a motel room at the time, this place seemed like a spacious paradise.

I will try to describe the layout the best I can. You first open the door on the second floor, apt 3 and you are instantly greeted by a very narrow carpeted staircase. (Cannot fit most normal sized furniture no matter how much shimmying is done.) This leads up into the hallway area. There's a small carpeted path around the staircase with a closet on the backside; so as you walk up the stairs there's a closet directly behind you. Then to the left of that closet is the bathroom... This bathroom is creepy with a huge old cast iron tub. This is the only room that isn't carpeted with the same blue cheap carpet and how they got that tub up here I have no clue. On the same wall as the bathroom is the door to the bedroom which is currently disheveled with clothes and clutter and is unused as it is too cold in this part of the apartment.

On the opposite wall of the bedroom leads to the living/kitchen area where we actually spend most of our time. So if you're coming up the stairs, it's on your left. There's no door in the living room doorway so we have a curtain up to keep the heat in. There is one small heater to heat our place... I do think it should be adequate BUT, if we leave the curtain up or take it down then the living room gets a little colder and the rest of the apt doesn't really warm up.

For some reason the carpet even extends into the kitchen area... No idea why on that one...

So that's the layout anyway... It's a fairly small place... It was quite obviously the attic of this building very cheaply renovated to be an apt. The ceiling are slanted on two sides of the apt pretty far down. In our living area they come down to about a foot and a half up the wall... It really sucks for decor and trying to set things up.

Anyway I think that's enough on the layout... Now for the occurrences.

I don't remember exactly the order that these happened in (meaning to start a log) but I'll do my best.

We moved in and all seemed fairly normal. Maybe a slightly eerie feeling here and there, but nothing that couldn't be attributed to nerves being in a new place.

I'm pretty sure the first incident didn't happen until we had been here at least a month. I was home alone and expecting my fiancee in roughly a half hour to come home from work. Imagine my surprise when I hear the door (open?) close and shuffling sounds coming from the bottom of the stairs apparently. We communicate in grunts a lot so at first I gave her an (mmmmm!) like hey you're here. I get no response but I do continue to hear some shuffling. So at this point I'm like "Baby?" *Little more shuffling*. So now I get up to investigate and, of course, as soon as I move the curtain the shuffling stops and nothing is on the stairs. This has happened once or twice more but hasn't been that intense again yet. My fiancee has also experienced this but only once.

The next incident took place during a storm. Our building is split into two sections of three apts. On our side you can't get into the other side and vice versa. Anyway, at the time, we were alone on our side of the building (the older side). We had lost power due to the storm and it had been out for several hours (this is a key fact). I don't remember exactly what we were doing when all of the sudden we hear this shrill tone come from somewhere. *muffled beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* Never ending. It didn't take long to make our way downstairs and locate the tone coming from the recently vacated apt 2 on the second floor. The apt was right below us. Luckily, the door was unlocked (although odd). The shrill shrieking tone was absolutely coming from in there... Knowing the place was vacated, I didn't really know what was going on or what to expect. So I opened the door and the sound instantly intensified. There, on the mantle to the left of the door, sat one of those alarm things. Not sure its exact purpose. I just know there's one in one of our outlets in our place too and it makes a HELL of a scream if it ever gets unplugged. So the one for this apt had apparently not only been unplugged, but placed on the mantle. It would be one thing if it had simply fallen from its socket... But placed on the mantle?

Now a few things here, this place was vacant, the landlord is very nice and laid back, and down to Earth. There is no way this would be a prank. Also, I checked the apt and it was definitely empty and nobody could have been hiding anywhere... And lastly the front door to this side is atrociously pesky and you have no choice but to slam it shut. It's very obnoxious, but more importantly it's very very loud. Had anyone done this and quickly left afterwards, we would have heard the door... If not, the footsteps of whomever ran down the stairs after pulling this prank. This is a loud poorly insulated house. If the new downstairs neighbor is walking around you can hear it pretty easily. Anyway I plugged the thing back into the wall and it shut up and we had peace and quiet.

Sometime after or before but within a month either way, my fiancee was cooking us dinner. She is very good at keeping track of things and ever better at finding things that have been misplaced. But tonight she could NOT find the bread crumbs. She looked for a good 15-20 minutes and eventually gave up. Only to find them sitting in a fairly obvious location on our pantry shelves. I don't believe for one second that it's possible she overlooked them. She showed me incredulously the next day where they were. Even I wouldn't have had any trouble finding them.

Another time we misplaced our scissors only to have them show up in another obvious spot a day or so later.

We've caught orbs in some pictures but I couldn't say it's anything other than dust as this place seems to be impossible to keep clean.

Then at night when I'm trying to fall asleep I keep hearing this tapping sound coming from this area I'm at right now, my computer area. It sounds like my monitor is being slightly pushed. You know that crackling plastic sound that electronics make when they're bent or squeezed? Very much like that... Like something is very slightly bending the TV or something to get that popping plastic sound... In only makes maybe 2 or 3 or 4 pops in very very rapid succession but it's not like normal settling sounds. Other than that sound there is a tapping sound that I've never investigated too hard but seems to be coming from somewhere on the ceiling by my monitor/computer area.

And lately I think it's been disturbing my sleep. I keep waking up multiple times every night and granted sometimes I have to use the bathroom but usually I can't figure out why I've woken up. I've stopped checking the clock because usually the first time I do it's between 3-3:30.

Also I've been waking up most mornings without my covers and freezing my you know what off. Now why would I kick the covers off so regularly and be cold so regularly (and not like there's a cold sweat or anything either)? My fiancee and I sleep with two comforters, one is too small for both of us so that one usually ends up wrapped around her. Now the bigger one has been ending up at our feet. But not bunched up like it was kicked away but more like ripped parallel to the bottom of the bed, as if it were dragged there by somewhere near the top of the blanket.

I am going to start keeping a log and definitely want to do a cleansing... I've been waking up very drained and have just been generally exhausted. I hate to say it but it seems to be getting worse.

We'll see.

Other hauntings by Vember

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Vember, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Vember (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
The crackling sound is absolutely coming from my tv without a doubt at this point... It seems to randomly pop pretty loudly and sometimes multiple pops like it's being nudged. I have no idea what would naturally cause a tv to do this periodically and more so at night. (It is not getting lost in ambient noise during the day. It's very distinct and can be quite loud.)

Also I have a question... Those energy saver light bulbs. Do they blow out or can they act strangely as in dimming, coming back to full strength etc before finally giving.

I noticed the light was acting odd and the moment I told my fiancee about it the light went out for a second and came right back on. Then it was pulsing for a while before it finally died. Is this normal? I have no reason to think it could be electrical as it's never even remotely acted funny... But perhaps a mouse chewed a wire or something. No idea what to think on that... But I am assuming it was a coincidence.
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-10)
Hello:
When I was growing up, we quite often heard a crackling noise coming from the wall directly above the kitchen sink. As a family, we theorized it was either temperature causing expansion/contractions of metal in that area or the ants or termites we had seen on the outside. Many, many years later, a medium (who we didn't know) described THAT specific noise, precisely where it was located, along with our bug theory. She told us it was my paternal grandfather getting our attention & gave his first name. Because of this experience and others, I DO believe that spirit can make these noises. We weren't being annoyed in any way, and never felt uncomfortable with any "signs" or interactions. Since you do appear to be bothered and don't feel comfortable, at least take a look at Rook's cleansing method. Many others here have used it with reported success; but know that cleansings should be done periodically. Finding out the history is also a great suggestion.
Kind Regards,
Lynev
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-10)
Have you ruled out PVC plumbing pipes rattling or tapping in the walls?

Respectfully,

Rook
Vember (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-10)
The plastic tapping is much too rapid... It's either a settling sound, or a nudging sound. Sounds exactly like when I nudge the top of my tv. Crackling plastic.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-09)
Thanks for shareing. Double check the sounds from the. Entryway... You mentioned the insulation is not the best maybe sounds from the other apartments are drifting over.

Keeping a log is a great idea... You can write down the details when fresh in your mind and then go back and check the facts. This is a wonderful way to debunk things. As far as the plastic tapping goes... I just recently debunked a sound we were hearing in our master bath room... It seems the screen was loose in my sons window and even a lite breeze would cause it to rattle... Which kind of sounded like the plastic tapping you described.

Feel free to look at a Cleansing and Shielding method I have posted on my profile, feel free to use it and please keep us posted.

Respectfully,

Rook
Gamedog (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-09)
Maybe you should ask the landlord if anything happened before you guys moved in or try to find out what your apartment was before the landlord bought it.

Good luck and have a nice day.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: